GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of heading that way first week of March (Zion-Bullhead city etc.) wondering if that might be a week or two early given some of the elevations.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
A couple of years ago I made a trip in that region the last week of February and then again in the 3rd week of March. I ran into night-time temperatures in the low 20's on the first trip, and for the 2nd trip the low side temperatures were about 10 to 12 degrees warmer. Although still cold at the higher elevations (remember you can get into elevations above 7500 feet in some places, it was noticibly nicer. During the day the temperatures were absolutely incredible and quite pleasant - 50's to high 60's.

My suggestion would be to wait a few weeks to at least later in the month of March if at all possible. Remember too, that you'll still need to watch the weather reports since they can still get some snow at that time of year along with other winter hazards like ice.

The plus, of course is that you don't run into a lot of traffic and the views are sensational or certainly can be.

DaleC

Some shots from the 2nd trip:

By the motel outside Bryce:

Inside Bryce:

Over at Zion:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
JamesW said:
Thinking of heading that way first week of March (Zion-Bullhead city etc.) wondering if that might be a week or two early given some of the elevations.
Bullhead City and the remainder of the route along the Colorado River will be very nice that time of year excepting the very occasional rain blowing in from CA. Nights might be a bit chilly but days will be sunny and warm.

As always, check local weather before heading out. Wind tends to be more bothersome over there than precipitation.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
you are really gonna have to play it by ear. It's just too changeable. I did southern Utah between Christmas and New Years last year and it was perfect. I suspect that's a rarity. Once you come down into Arizona you'll probably be ok if you stay away from the Flagstaff area. Can be a bit cold and miserable there even that late.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A little too early for the high scenic areas like Escalante and Bryce Canyon. Bryce sometimes doesn't open all the way to the top until May, and same for north rim of GC and the Escalante Staircase. Middle of May would be better. Got caught in a blizzard in Panguitch UT the first of May - kinda spooky. Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts