GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what temperature do you begin to question whether or not your going to ride the bike? As for me, I'm a year rounder but the wife starts saying "you're going solo" in the mid 90's.

I love the HEAT!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
At what temperature do you begin to question whether or not your going to ride the bike? As for me, I'm a year rounder but the wife starts saying "you're going solo" in the mid 90's.

I love the HEAT!
It doesn't happen, with a little knowledge and correct riding gear I can ride in comfort at any temp. BTW, MsBubba use to say the same after about 85F until I showed her how to ride in comfort at any temp.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ken will reply in detail, but in short... full LD Comfort undergear. Full textile jacket and pants (not mesh). Hydration. Wet the LD Comfort gear. Close the vents on the jacket. Close the helmet shield. Ride.

By following his advice I've ridden in up to about 112 degrees and I'm pretty sure he's exceeded that.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have all the cool vests, multi-tech apparel (such as LD comfort) and make sure I keep hydrated. The only thing I prefer is mesh gear which does require you to replenish the moisture but I enjoy the air flow through my gear. Have been known to stop and take a dip in pools along the way...have never had anyone refuse my request to take a dip to cool off...guess it goes back to my pool hopping days growing up in Az. Also agree that a closed full face helmet is the best choice...like putting an ice chest on your head.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Do share the knowledge you have aquired with those of us who would like to know...:bow: :bow: :bow:
I have all the cool vests, multi-tech apparel (such as LD comfort) and make sure I keep hydrated. The only thing I prefer is mesh gear which does require you to replenish the moisture but I enjoy the air flow through my gear. Have been known to stop and take a dip in pools along the way...have never had anyone refuse my request to take a dip to cool off...guess it goes back to my pool hopping days growing up in Az. Also agree that a closed full face helmet is the best choice...like putting an ice chest on your head.
Really not much to add to what Brian posted. It is just using evaporative cooling, how well it works depends on the spread between ambient temp, wet bulb temp, and control of airflow but even in the worst case, i.e. high ambient temp with high relative humidity, the cooling can significant.

To each his own but while mesh will work with enough H2O, except within a very narrow range of temps textile works better and once the temps approach and go over 100F, mesh isn't even in the same ballpark.

I've thrown a lot of money at this issue, I can tell you what works for me, YMMV and it may not work for you. I ride with a full face helmet with the face shield closed and the vents closed, solid leather (kangaroo skin) gloves, Sidi boots, LDComfort tights and long sleeve T under (only LDComfort under no jeans, shirt or other underwear) and a Motoport Kelvar textile riding suit over. To keep the LDComfort wet when needed I have a couple of bicycle H2O bottles mounted on my tupperwear. I also have a CamelBack with tube and bite valve mounted for drinking H2O when needed, the CamelBack is used very little even in the hottest WX because most of the time I'm riding very cool and do not need extra hydration.

I can also tell you what doesn't work, phase change vests, evaporative vests, 1/2 or 3/4 helmets, open face shields, mesh gloves, footwear other than Sidi i.e. Ropers or any boot not designed for motorcycles, not wearing a riding suit, mesh except between about 75F and 90F, Jeans, cotton T-shirts, Under Armour (works better than cotton but not much), and any Village People-Pirate riding outfit.

I do not have the issue of the Iron Butt mag handy but in one of the early issues there is a very good article that addresses riding in hot WX, my guess it could be more convincing the the rantings of some goof on the intertubes, maybe someone will post the issue.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
It doesn't happen, with a little knowledge and correct riding gear I can ride in comfort at any temp. BTW, MsBubba use to say the same after about 85F until I showed her how to ride in comfort at any temp.
One of these days, Pat has to chat with Grace about this... :cry:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
One of these days, Pat has to chat with Grace about this... :cry:
The only way I got Pat to try it was refusing to take her for a ride unless she promised to wear exactly what I told her to wear and to do what I told her to do. Her desire to ride was enough and she put the full gear on. As it warmed up I had her wetting down with a bicycle H2O bottle every once in a while, about the time we hit Winkelman and I showed her the temp gauge on the bike indicating 103F and she was cool it was a done deal. I think if I had tried to take the H2O bottle away from her at that point I would be pushing up daisies today.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really not much to add to what Brian posted. It is just using evaporative cooling, how well it works depends on the spread between ambient temp, wet bulb temp, and control of airflow but even in the worst case, i.e. high ambient temp with high relative humidity, the cooling can significant.

To each his own but while mesh will work with enough H2O, except within a very narrow range of temps textile works better and once the temps approach and go over 100F, mesh isn't even in the same ballpark.

I've thrown a lot of money at this issue, I can tell you what works for me, YMMV and it may not work for you. I ride with a full face helmet with the face shield closed and the vents closed, solid leather (kangaroo skin) gloves, Sidi boots, LDComfort tights and long sleeve T under (only LDComfort under no jeans, shirt or other underwear) and a Motoport Kelvar textile riding suit over. To keep the LDComfort wet when needed I have a couple of bicycle H2O bottles mounted on my tupperwear. I also have a CamelBack with tube and bite valve mounted for drinking H2O when needed, the CamelBack is used very little even in the hottest WX because most of the time I'm riding very cool and do not need extra hydration.

I can also tell you what doesn't work, phase change vests, evaporative vests, 1/2 or 3/4 helmets, open face shields, mesh gloves, footwear other than Sidi i.e. Ropers or any boot not designed for motorcycles, not wearing a riding suit, mesh except between about 75F and 90F, Jeans, cotton T-shirts, Under Armour (works better than cotton but not much), and any Village People-Pirate riding outfit.

I do not have the issue of the Iron Butt mag handy but in one of the early issues there is a very good article that addresses riding in hot WX, my guess it could be more convincing the the rantings of some goof on the intertubes, maybe someone will post the issue.
Yep, we are pretty much in agreement on this one. Especially the Sidi boots...best pair(s) I've ever had and will never change..hot or cold, always comfortable and I'm someone who moved back to Az because even in California my feet were always cold...haha. I LMAO at folks riding around without helmets in short sleeves, jeans and fashion boots who approach me at service stations questioning how I can ride in all that gear when it's sooooo HOT! My response is always the same..."really, I didn't notice, you should trying covering up. You don't see landscapers running around in shorts and flipflops do you?"

·
Registered
698 Posts

Very interesting...what style SIDI Boots are you using and when you are using the H20 Bottles to rewet the LD Comfort, I'm assuming that your just pouring it on under your riding suit???

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I think this is the article Bubba1 was referring to. http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf
I don't know about the Sidi boots, because they don't fit, but the rest is pretty on target. Cooling vests work good for some, but I find them hot, soaking and heavy. YMMV
Staying cool isn't rocket science and humidity does have some effect, but not as much as some would have you believe. I ride east Texas, La., and Ms. They know a little about hot and humid there. All this still works, just works a little better the farther west you go.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Very interesting...what style SIDI Boots are you using and when you are using the H20 Bottles to rewet the LD Comfort, I'm assuming that your just pouring it on under your riding suit???
The boots I wear a Sidi On Roads, I expect there are other boots that would work as well but I do not have experience wearing them.

The bicycle H2O bottles are squeezable, at lower temps (below 100F) I will "snake" the bottle into my arm hole and give a squeeze wetting the sleeve of the LDComfort T as needed. Most of the cooling will come from the sleeve area but once over 100F I will begin wetting my torso area front and back as well as the sleeve area. When it is really hot (110 and up) I will put on a wet LDComfort helmet liner, the helmet liner will cool better than any of the other areas but I've yet to figure out a way to re-wet it while riding and it is only good for 30 or 40 minutes with out a re-charge of H2O.

See the attached photo of the bicycle bottles:

farkleShelfFarkleShelf20100821.jpg

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I ride year round and I've been using coolvests and they don't last very long with my mesh jacket. Never heard of LDComfort.. I'll have to check on that.. I can tell you that it's hotter riding without a jacket than with a jacket. Thanks for all the great info!

matt

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I think this is the article Bubba1 was referring to. http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf
I don't know about the Sidi boots, because they don't fit, but the rest is pretty on target. Cooling vests work good for some, but I find them hot, soaking and heavy. YMMV
Staying cool isn't rocket science and humidity does have some effect, but not as much as some would have you believe. I ride east Texas, La., and Ms. They know a little about hot and humid there. All this still works, just works a little better the farther west you go.

Cheers
Yep, that's the one....lots of good info in the article.

1+ on the cooling vest, they keep you clammy and wet. once they start drying they are hotter than no vest, the cooling period is much shorter than a fuel load and they are heavy....really lose lose. Phase change, pretty much the same with out the wet and clammy.

I'm headed to Texas tomorrow to ride with some friends, they have for years thought I'm crazy riding in my gear. I've given up on trying to change 'em besides Mary really looks good in her jeans and tank top :).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I ride year round and I've been using coolvests and they don't last very long with my mesh jacket. Never heard of LDComfort.. I'll have to check on that.. I can tell you that it's hotter riding without a jacket than with a jacket. Thanks for all the great info!

matt
Matt,

Coolvests are not the answer, nor for that matter is mesh. LDComfort http://www.ldcomfort.com/ with textile is. You want the tights with the long sleeve T-shirt and if you do not mind stopping occasionally the helmet liner will almost freeze you on the hottest days.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
85 is my number,over than and im gonna do something else,lol

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Matt,

Coolvests are not the answer, nor for that matter is mesh. LDComfort http://www.ldcomfort.com/ with textile is. You want the tights with the long sleeve T-shirt and if you do not mind stopping occasionally the helmet liner will almost freeze you on the hottest days.
Man, thats some expensive underwear! I'll have to sell a bunch more shirts and hats to get some.

Thanks for the info.. Now I have to find a non-mesh jacket thats large enough.

matt

·
Registered
869 Posts
we ride the bike year round, the car is the one on the trickle charger, gear depends on how far we are going.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Man, thats some expensive underwear! I'll have to sell a bunch more shirts and hats to get some.

Thanks for the info.. Now I have to find a non-mesh jacket thats large enough.

matt
And as Curtis Mathis would say... And darn well worth it!
Ain't that the truth.

I did wet my sleeves towards the end of the day on the ride over to Texas today......didn't really need to but did just because. It was a good reminder. How effective it is.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts