GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Matt, you'll like that coat. I've still got a Transition Jacket (L) in the closet...it was too hot for our liking so we switched to the Olympia. Never really road wearing with the liner out. It was our Northern California/winter wear.
Marc, I have all kinds of mesh jackets.. but didn't have anything to wear that wasn't mesh.. and nothing to wear over the LDComfort stuff that would use the vents for effective evaporation/cooling.

We'll see how it works out.

BTW:; I really liked your jackets.. I was leaning to the HI Vis Yellow.. but after seeing you and Robin with them.. that sealed it for me.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Marc, I have all kinds of mesh jackets.. but didn't have anything to wear that wasn't mesh.. and nothing to wear over the LDComfort stuff that would use the vents for effective evaporation/cooling.

We'll see how it works out.

BTW:; I really liked your jackets.. I was leaning to the HI Vis Yellow.. but after seeing you and Robin with them.. that sealed it for me.
Glad we could help out...I know how tough decision making can get. You've given me the video cam bug...thanks a lot! :joke:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You wouldn't do a lot of riding in this part of the world....talk about a hangar queen :).
Yea 85 that's my number to but you all have a different kind of heat out there. Humid and Hot here don't mix too good................

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yea 85 that's my number to but you all have a different kind of heat out there. Humid and Hot here don't mix too good................
When I rode in Houston in 95/90 temp/humidity without LD Comfort gear I was most uncomfortable, but I still rode. Ten years later I don't know that I would still do it though.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
When I rode in Houston in 95/90 temp/humidity without LD Comfort gear I was most uncomfortable, but I still rode. Ten years later I don't know that I would still do it though.
Brian,

Are you saying you do not know if you would ride in Houston heat today or you would not ride in Houston heat without LDC. I'm betting on the LDC :), have a hard time seeing you not riding.

Road Hog,

While everyone has different tolerance for heat and comfort levels so what works for me may not work for you. I spend a good amount of time riding in Texas and around the Gulf. If I shut 'er down at 85F I would have missed a lot great times and the Dirty Fat Gril would be just another hanger queen, seems there are a few of 'em on this board :). Here is what I have found: Riding areas of high temp and high humidly in LDComfort is not as comfortable as riding at the same temp in the desert (no sh1t Sherlock) but with LDC I'm cooled enough to take the edge off the heat so I can be reasonably comfortable and I'm able to ride in safety and not be subject to possible heat injury.

Everyone is different so YMMV, being a Gentleman from Odessa I have a higher tolerance for heat than most, cold and wet is a different story.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Houston and Phoenix really are not an Apples to Apples comparison as far as what works where. One has Dry heat where evaporative cooling probably works one heck of a lot better, the other, Houston, is another story due to it's high humidity. People in Dallas even complain about Houston's humidity. I guess it's not bad living and riding in Houston as I have done for the past 10 years as long as you have the right attitude.

This is how I observe just about all Houstonians out there riding. People ride in t-shirts and jeans. When it gets really hot, some shed their helmets. We do this all summer long. It has a lot to do with getting acclimated to the heat and humidity. I was amazed when I first moved down here from Ohio when I saw people out there jogging in 90 degree weather while I was melting. They had lived here all their lives and it never bothers them. It's like when I went back home to Ohio in the winter and froze my butt off. We generally get a lot fewer riders in numbers as the heat reaches the upper 90's but you just need to be smart about it.

A lot of it has to do with where and how long you ride. A US Highway in the country sure beats city driving any day. A traffic jam can ruin a good ride any day. In the heat of a day find a nice Ice House to camp out at for a few hours (and make sure you use your sunscreen while riding). Take life easy, that's what it's all about, not how many miles you can do in a day. If your in a hurry to get somewhere far away take a cage. If your retired like me, it's real easy to ride, just take your time, be smart about the conditions and enjoy! Yeah, maybe bundling yourself up in a water soaked space suit works in the Desert. Down here we learn to go with the flow. I have tried cooling vests down here and did not see their value.

I was stationed in Yuma for awhile and I did discover that riding in a long sleeve shirt was better than sort sleeves. With the advent of the LDC line, I'd probably go that way out there now but, nothing beats taking your time and riding smart, you'll enjoy it more. When you come to Texas just plan on taking it easy and do not push it, pushing it is for cages,

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Brian,

Are you saying you do not know if you would ride in Houston heat today or you would not ride in Houston heat without LDC. I'm betting on the LDC :), have a hard time seeing you not riding.

Road Hog,

While everyone has different tolerance for heat and comfort levels so what works for me may not work for you. I spend a good amount of time riding in Texas and around the Gulf. If I shut 'er down at 85F I would have missed a lot great times and the Dirty Fat Gril would be just another hanger queen, seems there are a few of 'em on this board :). Here is what I have found: Riding areas of high temp and high humidly in LDComfort is not as comfortable as riding at the same temp in the desert (no sh1t Sherlock) but with LDC I'm cooled enough to take the edge off the heat so I can be reasonably comfortable and I'm able to ride in safety and not be subject to possible heat injury.

Everyone is different so YMMV, being a Gentleman from Odessa I have a higher tolerance for heat than most, cold and wet is a different story.
Usually what I do is go to the higher elevations in the mountains anyway and ride so it's not that bad. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Just bought a textile jacket with great vent features.. vents on the shoulders, sleeves back etc. Hi Vis Yellow.. with reflective piping..even had a 4XL that should fit me. $189 was the cheapest price I could find for this Tourmaster Transitions 3 jacket. Free shipping from She Rides on amazon. Checked DLP and they don't carry Textile Jackets that I could see anyway.

Bought the Jacket yesterday.. and when I rode up the house tonight, there was a box at my door.. the jacket was here.. Whats up with that.. ordered on thursday.. delivered on Friday and no shipping charges.. same price as everyone else that was charging shipping.

KUDOS to SheRides for the very fast shipping and NO shipping charges.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Bought the Jacket yesterday.. and when I rode up the house tonight, there was a box at my door.. the jacket was here.. Whats up with that.. ordered on thursday.. delivered on Friday and no shipping charges.. same price as everyone else that was charging shipping.

KUDOS to SheRides for the very fast shipping and NO shipping charges.
Nice..............

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Brian,

I didn't explain myself very well, did I? Yes, with the LDC I'd be on the bike, but without it and another ten years added to my life I would probably stay home in the A/C.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Houston and Phoenix really are not an Apples to Apples comparison as far as what works where. One has Dry heat where evaporative cooling probably works one heck of a lot better, the other, Houston, is another story due to it's high humidity. People in Dallas even complain about Houston's humidity. I guess it's not bad living and riding in Houston as I have done for the past 10 years as long as you have the right attitude.

This is how I observe just about all Houstonians out there riding. People ride in t-shirts and jeans. When it gets really hot, some shed their helmets. We do this all summer long. It has a lot to do with getting acclimated to the heat and humidity. I was amazed when I first moved down here from Ohio when I saw people out there jogging in 90 degree weather while I was melting. They had lived here all their lives and it never bothers them. It's like when I went back home to Ohio in the winter and froze my butt off. We generally get a lot fewer riders in numbers as the heat reaches the upper 90's but you just need to be smart about it.

A lot of it has to do with where and how long you ride. A US Highway in the country sure beats city driving any day. A traffic jam can ruin a good ride any day. In the heat of a day find a nice Ice House to camp out at for a few hours (and make sure you use your sunscreen while riding). Take life easy, that's what it's all about, not how many miles you can do in a day. If your in a hurry to get somewhere far away take a cage. If your retired like me, it's real easy to ride, just take your time, be smart about the conditions and enjoy! Yeah, maybe bundling yourself up in a water soaked space suit works in the Desert. Down here we learn to go with the flow. I have tried cooling vests down here and did not see their value.

I was stationed in Yuma for awhile and I did discover that riding in a long sleeve shirt was better than sort sleeves. With the advent of the LDC line, I'd probably go that way out there now but, nothing beats taking your time and riding smart, you'll enjoy it more. When you come to Texas just plan on taking it easy and do not push it, pushing it is for cages,
I didn't explain myself very well, did I? Yes, with the LDC I'd be on the bike, but without it and another ten years added to my life I would probably stay home in the A/C.
Notice I've never said riding on the Gulf Coast and riding the deserts of the Southwest are the same but the same cooling principals apply and will work in either. The only difference is it works better in the desert. I don't ride in a "space suit", just a normal first line riding suit, the kind of suit every rider should wear, the same suit I wear year around, nor is it water soaked. The LDC is wetted, because of how LDC works, it holds the water and my skin is always dry as is my riding suit. You are correct about cooling vests, they are worse than going without. BTW, I lived in Houston for close to 40 years, if there is anything Houstonions love to do it is brag about how hot and humid it is in the summer.

Brian, kinda what I figured. I will admit, freezing rain and/or orders from the CinC and I will stay home or take the truck otherwise it will be the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Notice I've never said riding on the Gulf Coast and riding the deserts of the Southwest are the same but the same cooling principals apply and will work in either. The only difference is it works better in the desert. I don't ride in a "space suit", just a normal first line riding suit, the kind of suit every rider should wear, the same suit I wear year around, nor is it water soaked. The LDC is wetted, because of how LDC works, it holds the water and my skin is always dry as is my riding suit. You are correct about cooling vests, they are worse than going without. BTW, I lived in Houston for close to 40 years, if there is anything Houstonions love to do it is brag about how hot and humid it is in the summer.
Brian, kinda what I figured. I will admit, freezing rain and/or orders from the CinC and I will stay home or take the truck otherwise it will be the bike.
Many people will claim the LDComfort will not work in the high humidity but as my friend Bubba says...It will work. The difference in application in high humidity is that you need to run more air up the sleeves and you will need less water. It still works. Many years ago I tested many different fabrics for the best undergarments. These tests were done in the frozen areas of the Northwest and also in the high heat of Texas, Arizona, California, Nevada etc. Where the LDComfort fabric really shined was in the high humidity of New Orleans, Alabama, Pensacola, Tennessee and on the east coast. This fabric will keep your skin dry while other "wicking" garments will not. While at a rally in Bloomsburg Pennsylvania the humidity was so high it was turning to puddles on the concrete floor. Two guys did not believe the cooling method I was demonstrating in the stifling and oppressive heat. After much debate they agreed to try it the next day. These two fellows returned to my booth the following afternoon to thank me and tell me with amazement how well it worked. I smiled because I knew it would. I have been designing undergarments for extreme weather and using evaporative cooling since 1972. Millions of miles of testing in all temperatures reveals just what Bubba says. See the up coming issue of the Iron Butt Magazine for a page you can show your friends. I know I can ride with no trouble in temps up to 120 degrees. When I find hotter temps I will go there just to say I can.

For fun....think of this. You come home with a six pack of your favorite refreshing beverage and put it in the refrigerator. You walk away without closing the door of the fridge. Later you come back only to find your beverage is not cold. Why? You let the cold air out. THAT my friends...is riding in mesh. Thanks to Bubba for having the patience to repeatedly explain to riders what can really save their lives. Respectfully....Mario W. (UnderDoc)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Many people will claim the LDComfort will not work in the high humidity but as my friend Bubba says...It will work. The difference in application in high humidity is that you need to run more air up the sleeves and you will need less water. It still works. Many years ago I tested many different fabrics for the best undergarments. These tests were done in the frozen areas of the Northwest and also in the high heat of Texas, Arizona, California, Nevada etc. Where the LDComfort fabric really shined was in the high humidity of New Orleans, Alabama, Pensacola, Tennessee and on the east coast. This fabric will keep your skin dry while other "wicking" garments will not. While at a rally in Bloomsburg Pennsylvania the humidity was so high it was turning to puddles on the concrete floor. Two guys did not believe the cooling method I was demonstrating in the stifling and oppressive heat. After much debate they agreed to try it the next day. These two fellows returned to my booth the following afternoon to thank me and tell me with amazement how well it worked. I smiled because I knew it would. I have been designing undergarments for extreme weather and using evaporative cooling since 1972. Millions of miles of testing in all temperatures reveals just what Bubba says. See the up coming issue of the Iron Butt Magazine for a page you can show your friends. I know I can ride with no trouble in temps up to 120 degrees. When I find hotter temps I will go there just to say I can.

For fun....think of this. You come home with a six pack of your favorite refreshing beverage and put it in the refrigerator. You walk away without closing the door of the fridge. Later you come back only to find your beverage is not cold. Why? You let the cold air out. THAT my friends...is riding in mesh. Thanks to Bubba for having the patience to repeatedly explain to riders what can really save their lives. Respectfully....Mario W. (UnderDoc)
Mario,

Good to hear from you, I'll be watching for the Iron Butt issue.

ken

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
For me, 85 is my absolute limit. ( I prefer under 80!) I never had a tolerance for the hot weather. I do more riding in the Fall, Winter & Spring than I do all summer. I can always put more clothing on in the cold weather to get comfortable. When it's hot, there's only so much you can take off and that usually means in my case, I'm not wearing the protective clothing I should have on.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
For me, 85 is my absolute limit. ( I prefer under 80!) I never had a tolerance for the hot weather. I do more riding in the Fall, Winter & Spring than I do all summer. I can always put more clothing on in the cold weather to get comfortable. When it's hot, there's only so much you can take off and that usually means in my case, I'm not wearing the protective clothing I should have on.
You have it backwards....when it gets hot you add clothing, not take it off :). Ever been to the Middle East? Not a lot of shorts, T's, and flip-flops worn there.

I wear the same riding gear year around, textile riding suit with LDComfort under (no jeans, tighty-whities, or anything else). When it is hot I wet the LDComfort sleeves, when cold I add electrics over the LDComfort. With the exception of freezing rain, I'm comfortable what ever the WX gods throw at me.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You have it backwards....when it gets hot you add clothing, not take it off :). Ever been to the Middle East? Not a lot of shorts, T's, and flip-flops worn there.

I wear the same riding gear year around, textile riding suit with LDComfort under (no jeans, tighty-whities, or anything else). When it is hot I wet the LDComfort sleeves, when cold I add electrics over the LDComfort. With the exception of freezing rain, I'm comfortable what ever the WX gods throw at me.
I understand what you're saying and I'm glad that works for you regarding Hot weather riding. For me, if I can't be comfortable, I don't ride. Wetting down my clothes to try and keep cool isn't my definition of being comfortable. I guess that puts me in a group that isn't considered real bikers and I agree with that, lol. ;)

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
how does the ldc compare to the "heat out" garments cycle gear sells?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
how does the ldc compare to the "heat out" garments cycle gear sells?
Not a clue, I worked through most of the "wicking" underwear that was available several years ago, once I found LDComfort there was no reason to try anything else.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've had three years with LD comfort but my experience is not as satisfying as Bubba. First I have to say that my tolerance for heat has really diminished in general over about the last five years. I used to jog three miles in temps over 100, worked outside, etc. But age or something has taken hold and high heat days are bad news for me now.

As for the LD, the shorts are fine, I have no problem with those. They are a bit warmer than regular skivvies but very comfortable, all day, any weather.

The shirt is a different story for me. For cold weather, it is great. For the very hot weather when I am keeping it wet it is fine. It is the in between warm days where it is not so good. I have experimented with the LD, a long sleeve cotton/poly blend and a 100% polyester shirt. I am more comfortable in the warm riding with the poly or cotton poly blend shirts under the jacket. The LD makes me feel about 10 degrees hotter. In fact, with the LD, I have to soak at a lower temperature at least 10 degrees lower, than I do when wearing the generic shirts.

My opinion is that the LD fits too snugly. The loose fitting shirts allow better air flow and cooling. As for wicking, I tested them all at my kitchen sink and they all wick water. The 100% polyester wicks it the fastest, for whatever that's worth.

When it is time to get them wet, I find they all keep me cool equally well. For the short term, anyway. For the long rides, and multi day rides, the LD is more comfortable.

For the record, I wear Motorport kevlar mesh pants and Olympia AST 2 hi viz jacket. I have experimented with various vents open and closing. The breeze up the sleeves is definitely very cooling even on the hottest days. Unfortunately, in the normal riding position, my sleeves don't catch the wind, I have to slide my hands to the ends of the bars. But it does work well. The AST jacket has sleeve vents and I experiment with those and vary it to whatever is working well that day.

I won't say don't get LD but I will say that it may not be the best solution for everyone.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Believe this or not....but your traditional thermal underware (longsleeve shirts) holds a lot of water and works GREAT in hot weather, May not look fancy but it works and is good, especially for the person who only does hot weather on rare occassion.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts