GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Believe this or not....but your traditional thermal underware (longsleeve shirts) holds a lot of water and works GREAT in hot weather, May not look fancy but it works and is good, especially for the person who only does hot weather on rare occassion.
I'm sure they will (hold lots of water), the difference is LDC keeps your skin and riding suit dry. It makes a huge difference to ride dry, no monkey butt, no clammy wet clothing, what a concept riding in comfort. LDC works year around, it's not just for hot WX. There is a reason LDC is used by LD riders.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
how does the ldc compare to the "heat out" garments cycle gear sells?
I was wondering the same thing as I just received their latest sale ad in the mail and the prices are very good for the Heat Out garments. Might just try a set for grins.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Wetting down my clothes to try and keep cool isn't my definition of being comfortable.
But you're confusing regular fabrics (cotton for example) with LDC. The cotton will hold the water, and yes, it will evaporate and give you the cooling effect, but while that's happening you still have the wet t-shirt on your body.

The LDC will be wet, but the wet portion of the fabric will NOT be touching your body, just the dry inner fabric and you get the same (or better) evaporative effect.

Like Bubba, I'm a die-hard fan and you won't find me on a trip without my long tights, my long sleeve shirt, and my helmet liner. Do you have ANY idea of what it is like to stop for fuel, wet down your helmet liner, throw it in the ice box outside the store, finish fueling, and then put that helmet liner on? Especially when it's 105-110 outside?

It's Heavenly. :bow:

:lol:

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I used the heat out gear last summer and liked it, I would poor water down the inside of the long sleeve and you could really feel the difference.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Sorry, but I just don't get that part about the LDC being wet but not your skin. That is not my experience. When I soak that shirt, the water goes into and through the shirt to my skin. If the shirt is wet, so is my skin. It does feel different against the skin because it is a different fabric than my cheap-o shirts but it is still wet. Not complaining because it is cooling but there is no way to wear a wet shirt without getting wet skin. It isn't a miracle fabric, it is just another man made fabric.

·
Registered
827 Posts
This has been an intersting read for me since my wife suffers from the heat at anything over 85. We were seriously looking at phase change material but I think we are going to give this system a try.
I like the simplicity of it. One question for Bubba. You and others have been using the one piece riding suit in your posts. If all you are doing is wetting the shirt why does it matter what you have on the bottoms? Does the one piece really make a difference over just a textile jacket and pants or perhaps kelvar jeans which I wear now? Btw, My wife still likes her leather chaps but wears a textile jacket. Thanks for the Info . P.S why would the ld tights be better than the shorts?.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
This has been an intersting read for me since my wife suffers from the heat at anything over 85. We were seriously looking at phase change material but I think we are going to give this system a try.
I like the simplicity of it. One question for Bubba. You and others have been using the one piece riding suit in your posts. If all you are doing is wetting the shirt why does it matter what you have on the bottoms? Does the one piece really make a difference over just a textile jacket and pants or perhaps kelvar jeans which I wear now? Btw, My wife still likes her leather chaps but wears a textile jacket. Thanks for the Info . P.S why would the ld tights be better than the shorts?.
They may have improved the phase change gear over the last few years but I doubt it. The first problem with phase change systems is simply they are vests. The torso isn't a good radiator, with a vest you are cooling an area with limited ability to exchange heat. The arms are much better heat exchangers, most of the time I will just keep the sleeves of my LDC T-shirt wet, that with a wet LDC helmet liner is all that is needed to stay cool in temps under 110F. Some of the other problems with phase change vests are they heavy, bulky, and the packs do not last from tank to tank in the desert heat and once they need recharging wearing the vest is very uncomfortable. I gave a phase change vest with extra packs (cost about $400 USD) away for free to a board member a couple of years ago, all I asked was he pay the shipping cost...he stiffed me, it was lose lose :).

I ride in a two piece riding suit. The bottoms keep your butt dry, no monkey butt and are much more comfortable than other riding gear...I've never used the shorts but most of the folks who have tried both like the long johns better.

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I have researched the material that LDC is made out of...I'm not finding much at all...probably due to the fact the material itself isn't cheap.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The label on my LD shorts says 66% nylon, 19% polyester, 15% lycra.

BTW, if you get LD, don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets. It doesn't hurt the material but in my experience it doesn't perform as well especially when you wet it in the hot weather.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks Bubba, Giving it a try! I ordered a set for my wife. It stays around 65deg where we live but within 40 miles of here it will be 107 next week so we will have a good place to try it. If it works for her it will sure extend our riding range in the summer since now we pretty much stay within a few miles of the coast. If they work for her I will be next in line for a set.

Dheaton: I cant tell you about the heat out garmets but I use a heat out beenie and it is much cooler than the old cloth dew rags i used to use. I ordered a helmet liner from LD just cause I like the neck protection they show.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
The label on my LD shorts says 66% nylon, 19% polyester, 15% lycra.
That material is called Dryline, written as one word, or as VisaEndurance.

You can find socks made from this stuff all the time, including from vendors including LDC.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've had mine for a while and had not re visited the webpage in several years. I should have remembered that, but I have old man's CRS.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Welll I tried the heat out gear today at 80 plus degrees. It did help but it sounds like I need to order the ldc. When I squirted water down my sleev it was cool for about 30 miles. From what I read the ldc stays wet longer. Maybe it just wasn't hot enough.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Welll I tried the heat out gear today at 80 plus degrees. It did help but it sounds like I need to order the ldc. When I squirted water down my sleev it was cool for about 30 miles. From what I read the ldc stays wet longer. Maybe it just wasn't hot enough.
What we here in the desert would give for temps in the 80's.;)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
What we here in the desert would give for temps in the 80's.;)
Not me....Anyone can ride in the 80s, it doesn't get interesting until the temps go over 105F.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Not me....Anyone can ride in the 80s, it doesn't get interesting until the temps go over 105F.
100's don't stop or even become a consideration of too ride or not...but if I had my choice, just say'n anything below 100 down to 30's is preferred. JMO

81 - 100 of 103 Posts