GL1800Riders Forums banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
100's don't stop or even become a consideration of too ride or not...but if I had my choice, just say'n anything below 100 down to 30's is preferred. JMO
Usually it is cooler riding once temps go over 110F because the RH tends to be lower....I'm usually the most uncomfortable between 95F and 105F here in the desert because many times the RH is high vs. temp.

'Corse right now I'm one to talk...been stuck in a ACed box for the last several weeks with no end in sight.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Last year I used the LDC arm covers and long head cover under my FF helmet with my mesh jacket. Worked well for ride home from work. about 45 minutes, 33 miles

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
With the temperatures here in the desert southwest for the next few days hitting records of 108° and higher, I figured it would be a good time to dig up this oldie from a few years ago.

Bubba discussed 'wet bulb' temperatures a couple of times in this (and other...) threads. As a pilot, he'd have working knowledge of why that's useful for flying. We need the data for heat stress reasons.

The complete term is 'Wet Bulb Globe Temperature', and it's described here (from the Tulsa, OK) weather pages:

If you click on the map, you can put your local lat/long in. The sliders to the right will populate with some basic data; adjust as needed (I've got NO cloud cover today, for example)

So, my wet bulb temperature will be about 87°F, when the max temperature is 107°F today. The purple chart at the bottom shows how much heat stress you'll be under while outside in those conditions.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts