GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a new gps for my goldwing (I don't have the nav on my wing). I'm also considering using something to get weather radar while on a trip with the wing.
The Garmin 665 has the capability of getting navweather with a Sirius XM subscription, but it has been discontinued by garmin and has several bad reviews on Amazon.
The new Garmin 590 has a link for radar with a smart phone (which I don't have yet).
Or I could get a Garmin 390 and use a smart phone weather app independently.

What works and doesn't work for getting weather radar on a wing (other than buying a newer wing with a nav unit)?
Is it a bad idea to try to use a smart phone for weather radar in Colorado where there may not be cell phone service?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a Garmin 665 that this will be the 4th. year of use with no problems. As you stated if you have XM service all the weather maps and radar work like a top.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm on the fence as well. The new 590 is very expensive, but it also has a much improved display which you can see in direct sun light. I guess it all depends if that feature is worth the extra dollars,,,.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hummm, the Garmin website is still showing the Zumo 665 as a current product??? Where did you get the info that it is discontinued???

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-cMotorcycles-p1.html

I use the 665 and have not had any issues with it and I subscribe to XM radio, XM Nav Weather and XM Nav Traffic... As long as you do the firmware updates (even when new) you shouldn't have any issues... I love having weather radar on the bike - give you a chance to suit up or even avoid it in some cases... Although my bike also has Navi and XM (2009) I orefer the Zumo as it has everything in one package (gps, xm, weather, traffic, mp3, and bluetooth)...

Les

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
If you have android phone ck out wingwing (dennis ) has emfb =easy map for bikers app that is great.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I use a Zumo 390 and I-Phone. I-Phone for radar, music, Waze and other things. Radar US is NOAA weather radar and works great. It has maps on it so you can see exactly where you are in relation to the storms. It saved us several times.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I just ordered a Zumo 665 from Sierra Electronics they even price matched from Amazon supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a Zumo 390 and I-Phone. I-Phone for radar, music, Waze and other things. Radar US is NOAA weather radar and works great. It has maps on it so you can see exactly where you are in relation to the storms. It saved us several times.
How did you integrate the I Phone with the 390???

I also want to correct myself. The 665LM is NOT discontinued. The plain 665 is discontinued. The difference is that the 665LM has lifetime maps, the plain 665 does not. I apologize for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
How did you integrate the I Phone with the 390???
Old picture with Zumo 550. Not integrated but both mounted on bike. Phone goes on the X-Grip on the left and connected to the bikes sound system. The 390 is not wired for sound because I don't like or need the nagging prompts.

9078792483_009af61f36_m_d.jpg

·
Registered
849 Posts
I also want to correct myself. The 665LM is NOT discontinued. The plain 665 is discontinued. The difference is that the 665LM has lifetime maps, the plain 665 does not. I apologize for the confusion.
Ah ha - OK - that makes me feel better, at least for now and in case mine ever breaks... I really like my 665, and I do have lifetime maps, and yes I know it's a lot of money, and yes, some people have had issues with them, but I have not had any issues, and it works great for me... Personally, I love it... Now, on the "con" side, the display could be a bit better, and the screen resolution could be better, and I'd like to see features like "exits" and other useful biker features but I still love the GPS... I like the fact that it is waterproof and vibration resistant, and I use a Touratech mount so I usually just leave it on the bike if we stop for a bite or comfort stop or whatever...

Anyway, I would recommend it over other GPS' assuming you want all the bells and whistles it offers, and if your like me and do not use a smart phone... I'm still using my old Motorola RAZR V3!!!

Les

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Allot of the new Nuvi's have some nice features, I picked up a refurbished 2595 and use the smart phone app for live weather radar .. I like the fact I have an on screen button to bring it up without a bunch of browsing around the GPS functions and being distracted from what I should be doing.. the on screen buttons are customizable . I have the radar, exit services and the tracker app buttons I use.. that's another nice feature with the phone linked to it , you can send out emails and they can track you...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
What kind of phone do you have?

·
Registered
693 Posts
The Zumo 665 is not discontinued.

XM weather cannot hold a candle to the weather capability of the automotive Zumo units with the Garmin smartphone link capability.

There is some baggage with trying to use an automotive Nuvi GPS with the bike but it is worth it.

Granted XM has the capability of being live while off the cell grid. But the areas off cell are getting fewer and fewer especially when you are near an interstate.

I ran these two systems side by side on a recent 3000 mile trip in and around some severe weather (Cape Fear 1000 rally).

The Nuvi weather map and alerts were much more accurate for weather. The XM weather alerts tended to be based more around the NWS services, IE you get NWS flood warnings 3 days after the rain has passed while driving through the flood prone area. The XM alerts tended to be more accurate for traffic but they tended to let you know the delays after the fact. Based on checking my Macbook at one delay in Atlanta the XM traffic alerts appeared to mirror the construction warnings on Google maps. Not sure where the Garmin traffic updates come from.

Hopefully, Garmin will introduce motorcycle GPS (IE waterproof IPX67) with the current Nuvi capabilities. Until then you can turnkey a Zumo 665 with lackluster XM weather and pay $800+ for the pleasure. Or, integrate an automotive Zumo for $200-300.

As far as integrating into the GL1800 intercom you have the same baggage between the two units.

The automotive units have way better functionality; up ahead exit alerts, and Garmin trip planner (awesome for rally planning).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Probably all true Andy but I still stand by my Zumo... As I said, I do not have a smart phone nor will I... Cell phones in general do not work well, if at all in my area in rural Tennessee and I figure I save about $1500 a year by not subscribing "to a plan"... I also realize that I am in the minority of not owning a smart phone but that's OK with me - I do not need one nor do I want one, and my RAZR that I own and buy minutes for cost me about 100 bucks a year...

In terms of weather quality display and updates, the Nav Weather lags about 10 minutes behind and yes it's not as pretty as the cell phone weather, but then we get back to the 1500 bucks a year for a subscription... In terms of Nuvi's I don't know of any that offer XM - if you do, please enlighten me... I have a buddy that uses a Marine type Garmin on his bike and he gets the Marine radar and it's a bit more accurate and better display but at the cost of $50 per month as opposed to Nav Weather at 4 dollars per month...

There is always some baggage associated with marrying any device to any other device using Bluetooth as Bluetooth is the EIA spec that isn't!!! It would seem that manufacturers build to the Bluetooth spec to suit their own parameters and that's why there are always issues with marrying device A to device B...

In terms of weather accuracy I have not seen the discrepancies you speak of... When riding into a rain storm I find the edges of the outlined weather disturbance to be dead nuts accurate with the storm... I also find the alerts to be timely and pretty much associated with the weather happenings around me...

I have no argument with what a guy wants to use on his bike and I know I am in the minority in smart phone usuage, but the facts are they don't work here and I save a ton of money each year by not having one and using my Zumo instead for riding... I am a techy person and embrace technology when it works for me and my Zumo works that way for me...

Les

·
Registered
693 Posts
Probably all true Andy but I still stand by my Zumo... As I said, I do not have a smart phone nor will I... Cell phones in general do not work well, if at all in my area in rural Tennessee and I figure I save about $1500 a year by not subscribing "to a plan"... I also realize that I am in the minority of not owning a smart phone but that's OK with me - I do not need one nor do I want one, and my RAZR that I own and buy minutes for cost me about 100 bucks a year...

In terms of weather quality display and updates, the Nav Weather lags about 10 minutes behind and yes it's not as pretty as the cell phone weather, but then we get back to the 1500 bucks a year for a subscription... In terms of Nuvi's I don't know of any that offer XM - if you do, please enlighten me... I have a buddy that uses a Marine type Garmin on his bike and he gets the Marine radar and it's a bit more accurate and better display but at the cost of $50 per month as opposed to Nav Weather at 4 dollars per month...

There is always some baggage associated with marrying any device to any other device using Bluetooth as Bluetooth is the EIA spec that isn't!!! It would seem that manufacturers build to the Bluetooth spec to suit their own parameters and that's why there are always issues with marrying device A to device B...

In terms of weather accuracy I have not seen the discrepancies you speak of... When riding into a rain storm I find the edges of the outlined weather disturbance to be dead nuts accurate with the storm... I also find the alerts to be timely and pretty much associated with the weather happenings around me...

I have no argument with what a guy wants to use on his bike and I know I am in the minority in smart phone usuage, but the facts are they don't work here and I save a ton of money each year by not having one and using my Zumo instead for riding... I am a techy person and embrace technology when it works for me and my Zumo works that way for me...

Les
I'm probably anti XM mostly because of the poor implementation in the factory nav system. Can't see radar while riding except for a postage stamp preview. Can't see the forecast while moving (unless you do the nav mod).

If I had a zumo and the XM weather was easier to use I might like it better.

Like many others here I think the zumo price point is pretty high for what you get especially compared to voice activated auto models.

But if your Zumo works for you then that is cool too. And many do like them.

Any information is better than none so you can get that via XM or smartphone link.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Just a heads up ref future XM integration with garmin. The sales rep states that no future models will be made to accept XM.. all current models will be exhausted .. Which sucks Because I really like the Nav weather and radar and traffic on my 665

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sirius is way to go

Don't rely on the phone if you will ever be out of cell coverage- that's when you'll end up wanting it! The built in Nav on my '12 has a feature (a bad one) built in- the only GPS thing you can do while moving is zoom in or out- it shows weather overlay when you stop. Who wants to keep stopping? I'm thinking the 665 may have an advantage in that it may (or may not- I don't know.....) show you continuous updating of the weather image. Overall, I'm disappointed with the Nav- the screen is curved, making it hard to see due to reflections, and while I don't object to the safety aspect of not neing able to punch stuff in while riding I am unclear how looking at weather radar overlay is different or more dangerous than looking at road map/route.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
The 665 has a running loop that keeps updating when you select the weather options ( while moving if desired).. It shows you how fast the storm is moving,, if it is building or lessening

·
Registered
702 Posts
XM weather

I can look at the XM weather screen when riding. You just push the voice/guide button straight in and hold it for a couple seconds to toggle
between the map and weather screen and traffic info if you have a subscription for weather and traffic. You should probably look at your Navigation manual for more info.
Page 80 has the display info and page 138 has more weather info.

I'm probably anti XM mostly because of the poor implementation in the factory nav system. Can't see radar while riding except for a postage stamp preview. Can't see the forecast while moving (unless you do the nav mod).

If I had a zumo and the XM weather was easier to use I might like it better.

Like many others here I think the zumo price point is pretty high for what you get especially compared to voice activated auto models.

But if your Zumo works for you then that is cool too. And many do like them.

Any information is better than none so you can get that via XM or smartphone link.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Don't rely on the phone if you will ever be out of cell coverage- that's when you'll end up wanting it! The built in Nav on my '12 has a feature (a bad one) built in- the only GPS thing you can do while moving is zoom in or out- it shows weather overlay when you stop. Who wants to keep stopping? I'm thinking the 665 may have an advantage in that it may (or may not- I don't know.....) show you continuous updating of the weather image. Overall, I'm disappointed with the Nav- the screen is curved, making it hard to see due to reflections, and while I don't object to the safety aspect of not neing able to punch stuff in while riding I am unclear how looking at weather radar overlay is different or more dangerous than looking at road map/route.
If you install an app like Copilot Live the maps are loaded onto the phone so no cell coverage is needed. It also doesnt use data. I have actually shut data off on my phone and the GPS (Copilot Live) still works fine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts