GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to plan a trip to South Dakota .... Wondering when is the best time to visit as far as heat ( not being to hot) and rain. Wife has trouble with the heat...
Even some great roads to ride as well as places to eat.. Nothing fancy..

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The weather will and can change in a heartbeat out here in the west. Keep an eye on the forecasts, but they can be wrong too,LOL Bring good rain gear and warmies because it can get chilly in the mornings. Off I-90 take the Badlands Loop (240)and there's always Wall Drug in Wall, SD. Highway 16, 16A, 385, 14Alt,just to name a few.

Reactions: gto49us

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I frequently visited Grand Forks, I always enjoyed September and October. It was 60-75 each day I was there. The winters can be long and tough, so it's hard to say exactly when you can go in the spring. If I had to make an educated guess, I would recommend April, September, and October.

·
Registered
348 Posts
September in the Black Hills

We have been out to the Black Hills in September 19 of the last 20 years. The weather becomes much more stabile and the temperatures moderate to highs in the 70's, most of the tourists have left campgrounds are less crowded and motel rooms go down in price. There are always exceptions, in 2014 I was setting up camp in a few inches of slush as Custer had received 8 inches of snow the day before. I have also been deer hunting in November in 70 degree warmth. A nice part about the area is you can plan your ride according to the days weather. If it is going to be a cooler day you can ride to the Badlands, Sturgis or Devils Tower and be about 10 degrees warmer than if you went to Mt. Rushmore, Hill City or Spearfish Canyon.

Reactions: gto49us

·
Registered
14 Posts
As they say on the prairies (almost everywhere on the prairies), "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes - it will change!" I've ridden in hail, snow, driving rain and 100°F+ temps on my bike - sometimes even on the same day. That's the life for me!! :)

By the way, I live somewhat north of South Dakota. Heck, I'm north of North Dakota!! But most of the bad weather has always been somewhere else where I've been.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the imput

Want to say thanks to all who replied... It is some valuable info for my planning.
If anyone else comes up more info I would love to hear...

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I just got back from a week in that area and generally the weather was pretty mild. It got up to around 90 as the high and was in the 50's starting out in the morning. We did get caught in a pretty bad thunderstorm for about 4 miles that tried to blow us off the road but all in all it wasn't too bad.

Now...getting there and back we hit 104 in sections of Kansas and Nebraska so it was definitely hot enroute..

Hope this helps...enjoy.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
We are heading to SD this weekend. Should arrive in Deadwood on Monday afternoon. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts