GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope some of you have been able to get out and enjoy the great weather for the past few days. I've seen temps ranging from about 25 - 58 degrees with no wind and it has been wonderful. Unfortunately, I've been squeezing riding between other tasks rather than just taking off for a couple of days.

People tell me I'm crazy, but I think it is a lot easier to ride at 30 degrees than it is a 100 degrees in Kansas. The only problem with riding in colder wether is getting unbundled once I get to my destination.

BTW: I absolutely love my Motoport pants with the water proof liner with LDC pants underneath them both. It works well down to at least 20 degrees

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Funny you say that. I was just thinking the same today, while out for a 100+ mile ride, in temps of 51-53, here in KY. We've only been in the 60s a few days during the last month, so our temps about same as yours in Kansas. But we also get a lot of rain. Thanks to the GW, and good cold weather riding gear, I have became totally comfortable riding in the 30s-50s. Heck, at this point, I prefer those temps over the 90s-100s. Riding in the 20s is pushing the envelope for me, but 30s-50s are enjoyable.

I am over 55 pounds less today than this time last year. I began to eat, "clean" last Christmas Eve and, by Memorial Day, lost 60 pounds, from 224 down to 164. I have not been this light since 17 years old. Lifelong goal now, is to stay between 170-175. Perhaps TMI, but my point is, in losing the weight, I lost a natural layer of fat that helped keep me warm in colder weather. I now get chilled easily, even in the house unless wearing LJs. Even so, I am never cold on the GW, because I dress appropriately, and include electrics. Hoping we have a mild winter here, but we'll likely have about six weeks of frigid weather, come January & February.

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Losing weight

Funny you say that. I was just thinking the same today, while out for a 100+ mile ride, in temps of 51-53, here in KY. We've only been in the 60s a few days during the last month, so our temps about same as yours in Kansas. But we also get a lot of rain. Thanks to the GW, and good cold weather riding gear, I have became totally comfortable riding in the 30s-50s. Heck, at this point, I prefer those temps over the 90s-100s. Riding in the 20s is pushing the envelope for me, but 30s-50s are enjoyable.

I am over 55 pounds less today than this time last year. I began to eat, "clean" last Christmas Eve and, by Memorial Day, lost 60 pounds, from 224 down to 164. I have not been this light since 17 years old. Lifelong goal now, is to stay between 170-175. Perhaps TMI, but my point is, in losing the weight, I lost a natural layer of fat that helped keep me warm in colder weather. I now get chilled easily, even in the house unless wearing LJs. Even so, I am never cold on the GW, because I dress appropriately, and include electrics. Hoping we have a mild winter here, but we'll likely have about six weeks of frigid weather, come January & February.
Congratulations on your weight loss! That is fabulous!

Just don't let the loss of insulation keep you from riding!

We've had some pretty cold temperatures very early this season, but it looks like we have a pretty good week ahead of us now. In Kansas we generally have some pretty nasty weather December-February and sometimes bad weather spreads out to include November and March. OTOH, my birthday is in mid April and we've had snow on my birthday before. ALso, way back in the late '70s, I sometimes walked to classes at our local university without a coat in January.

My dad always said the only thing predictable about Kansas weather was that it was unpredictable!

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Kudos to you Joe for your weight loss. I'm sure your energy level is up and you feel much better. :thumbup:

Reactions: revrunt and JoeHall

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
By eating clean, are you referring to the Tosca Reno "Clean Eating" books?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Would you please elaborate. I, and I'm sure many others could sure use the help. Define "clean eating".
At risk of highjacking this thread, I became sold on the idea: Get healthy to lose weight, instead of lose weight to get healthy. I stopped eating: potatoes, pasta, processed food, grains and sugars. I eat only real food, 1-2 times per day, no snacks between, and liquid calories are zero. I am now more energetic than in decades, and cannot recall the last pill I took for aches and pains. (Aleve was my go-to.) Maybe I will start a thread over in the OTE forum here, and we can exchange further thoughts on this.

Back to the OP, I really must bundle up for riding in cold weather now, more than ever. But the ride is great! :)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Wow, first post on the Kansas site for a year and a half.
I think in terms of seasons. To me, motorcycle season is March through November. I have always winterized my bike during the Thanksgiving Holiday and pulled it out of storage the first of March. In the meantime, I plan and dream on where to go during touring season. I also get kinda jealous of you guys that ride year around.
Joe, l need to go on a diet also, but lack the will power that you obviously have. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Here in Kentucky today, temps were 56-61, windy, with light to moderate rain. It was a great day to ride, and so I did, about 175 miles. Mostly KY backroads, going no where, wandering around KY lake, cave, and Amish country. Enjoyed every mile, and most of the time did not even have the electric clothing turned on. This has been the wettest year on record in KY, but on the GW, rain doesn't bother me in the least. Though I did get home about 10 minutes ahead of a downpour and high winds, and that was OK with me. LOL

It is supposed to be a bit warmer and dry tomorrow, but high wind. So hopefully, will get another ride in tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weather again

Well Goodness! What are us Kansans going to do with a week of high temperatures in the mid 50s? Oh yea! Ride! I may cheat and change the antifreeze and bleed the brakes too! I may also change the air filter if I get really ambitious. If this keeps up, I may get all my spring maintenance done in January!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts