GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to apologize for the post.
Not bike related.

I want to redo my personal web site (Gold Wing related) and start a web business.
I do my own web development.
I want to get an idea what web drowser you use to surf the net.

I just downloaded Mozilla FireFox and my personal web sit looked terrible by it looked great in Windows Internet Explorer. I have been making changes to the site, but I think I will redo the entire site as soon as I have some time.

Thank you.

Aumi

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm a long time IE 6.x user, but for the past 6 months or so, I've been almost exclusively using FIREFOX 1.5. I've come to really like it, but there are some sites that don't display correctly using FF. I personally don't care for IE 7.0 and it won't work properly yet on a few sites that I need to visit for business purposes.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Firefox is my browser of Choice. Netscape, then I.E.

I develope Websites, and you are correct......most programs subscribe to the idea that I.E. is the browser of choice, and format accordingly. I hope they FIX that error of opinion one day.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
IE exclusively (work and personal). My laptop has IE7, the rest IE6. All work great.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
aumi said:
First I would like to apologize for the post.
Not bike related.

I want to redo my personal web site (Gold Wing related) and start a web business.
I do my own web development.
I want to get an idea what web drowser you use to surf the net.

I just downloaded Mozilla FireFox and my personal web sit looked terrible by it looked great in Windows Internet Explorer. I have been making changes to the site, but I think I will redo the entire site as soon as I have some time.

Thank you.

Aumi
I use EXCLUSIVELY FireFox 2.x.

Merry XMAS!

Shane

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I used Netscape until Firefox came out. I only use IE when a page doesn't do what I am pretty sure it is supposed to be doing. Which is ONE of the reasons I won't use IE. I am trying to do my part to force Bill Gates to adher to industry standards and quit creating his own proprietary standards. And if I have to use IE to properly view/use a site I probably won't.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
A lot of the work I do is developing web based training solutions for a number of major financial institutions. They all use IE exclusively, so the stuff I develop has to work and display correctly in IE. While I prefer Firefox for personal use, as a developer, I have to consider my end user.

Bartman

·
Registered
552 Posts
Stats provided by others and our own sites concur that 90 plus percent use IE as their browser. Don't worry about who's using what browser as much as coding correctly to make your pages cross browser compliant. It's not as hard as it used to be. I have to test against every browser daily on the websites we develop for and then I don't care which browser your using.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
While I use IE 6 and will NOT go to IE 7 for personal reasons, I am looking at Firefox and Opera.

I am so tired of M$ wanting to keep me from changing things to MY way of operation. And if you want the IE 7 tabs - Firefox does it sooooo much better.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I've been a big FireFox fan for some time, and now like it even better with version 2.0. However, I've also become a fan and part time user of IE7. And like others I do some web site development. I've not found it too hard to develop sites that work equally well in FireFox and IE 6 or 7.
The number of FireFox users continues to grow. So while IE may still be the largest group by numbers, you need to plan for other users.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Here is one for Safari

·
Registered
624 Posts
weengers said:
I am trying to do my part to force Bill Gates to adher to industry standards and quit creating his own proprietary standards. And if I have to use IE to properly view/use a site I probably won't.
I hear and read this a lot, Gates bashing and Microsoft bashing.

I've been working with computers in one way or another since 1968. For many years I participated on the internet when it was just text driven and you had to enter through some University or Hospital server.

I remember when a monochrome text driven operating system costs over $600 for a personal computer. Bill Gates' vision and Microsoft's business saavy have brought us all into the 21st century in bright, vivid, graphical color in just a few short years. And, every household has at least one computer, many have several. Software is not only affordable, but inexpensive.

Do I agree with everything Microsoft does? No. Do I idolize Bill Gates because he is a marketing genious? No. But, I do recognize the accomplishments of both.

As far as proprietary standards are concerned, look at the motorcycle you are riding. All manufacturers understand the profitability of selective proprietary components. Microsoft is in business to make money.

With respect to Bill Gates adhering to industry standards.....ha, he sets the standards. If you're unhappy with his standards, use another operating system.

If you want to improve a single component of Windows, then use an aftermarket vendor. I dont' use Microsoft's pop up stoppers, firewalls, media handlers, etc. because I need something a bit more powerful and I dont' mind paying extra for them.

If you don't like IE, then use Firefox or Netscape..........or something else. But, don't bash the people who brought it all to us.

Just a few thoughts. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts