GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pushed to Roanoke, VA on Tuesday, as rain is in the forecast for Thursday. That left Wednesday to finish the BRP and make tracks for home. So, by 7:30 AM, I was off along the Parkway north. Only 120 miles left, but I took my time, stopping for photo opportunities. My last stop was the visitor center at the north end of the BRP, where there is a rebuilt farm representing what life was like many years ago. I had to see the gal feeding the chickens, as my wife likes chickens. These birds have it made, as they just get fed and will not be some one's dinner! Just the eggs are collected.

So, I toured around, took pictures, and on the way back, ran into a local news reporter for the local TV station: She asked me if I would answer some questions. Next thing you know, she's giving me a mike and filming me for the local news! So, on our way out, I asked her if she would film the Wing and I would then say how much I enjoyed the BRP, wave, & ride off. She bought it! So, I have this URL: WHSV.com I haven't checked it yet, but I thought this board would flip knowing what happened! Anyone who gets the feed, let me know!

Someone asked if we are doing any rides this fall: Yes! See my reply to the Tuesday BRP, as we are planning rides the weekend of Oct 14 - 15 on both days. All are welcome.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
You're a trip, John. They couldn't have picked a better ambassador from 'Wing life.

What do they mean by:
Park ranger Ted Hughes has been volunteering his time here since the 1980s and says that the incident with Ashby was rare. He thinks people will continue to visit the parkway.
Incicent? Hmmmm, what incident?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Once you get to the link - look for the little camera icon at the top left of the story and a link called 'fall foliage tourism'. Click on that and you will see the video of John's wing and a quick interview with him.

Way to go John. Your trip back home looked like fun.

Rick

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
John Garner said:
Bill:

A student was murdered and the body was left along the Parkway. He was later shot & died in a confrontation with police.

Although the murder did not happen along the Parkway, the body was left there.
John, you look good in the video, and so does your Wing!
But I have a question about the crime???? See your quote...
Talking about "nine lives" .... :wink:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But I have a question about the crime???? See your quote...
Well, sometimes I type too fast!

You can probably find the story, as it happened this week, so I'll type s l o w e r....

A female college student was murdered, and her body was dumped along the Parkway. Later, in a confrontation with the police, the guy who did the crime was shot & killed (saving the taxpayers alot of money).

When asked if this would deter me from visiting the Parkway, I explained that 'safe' is an illusion. Nothing is safe, except after you are dead, as nothing can happen to you. We had a home in PA explode due to a natural gas leak! Went on to say that if you see something not right, leave and call 911.

Anyway, it was fun to do the interview - I was asked again to say that all the pictures you take cannot do justice to seeing the views with your own eyes. THe best pictures are in our minds.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks for the clarification!
And - yes- , I agree with you on safety and mental pics :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts