GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wondered what the lower half of Rt 16 in West Virginia was like as it was just a tad too far for a day ride. I thought of an overnighter and mapped out a route that would take me thru there. I gave my riding buddy Travelinlite a shout to see if he would be interested. I promised lots of twisties. The route would become the 'Three 16's', since it was going to be NC 16. VA 16 and WV 16. These roads are the same route, just changes states.

Route would have us meeting up at Red House, MD and taking US 219 south to Lewisburg WV, then east to Crow VA looking for VA Rt 311 to Salem VA. Pick up US 221 to Jefferson NC, picking up NC Rt 16 and heading north. The biggest focus of the trip would be the Hungry Mother State Park area on VA Rt 16. I was not disappointed. Freshly paved! Need I say more?

I was going to post this on the General board, but since car tires were used on the trip, I didn't want to give anyone ideas about running unsafe equipment on such a trip as this. 1000 miles and only about 25 miles of slab. Enough twisties to give you a blister on your throttle hand.

Lots of pics! Enjoy!

Starting out. Early morning and the rain has just stopped:

Beginning to dry up!

Cheat River, US 50

Another

Mountain fog

Hooked up with Travelin' on US 219S

Still going south

Fun begins!

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In North Carolina

Lots of tree farms in this area!

Roads? Oh,hum!

Crossed into Virginia

Looking better

Hungry Mother Park lake

Now back in WV

War, WV...Where was Peace?

Back out on open road (WV Rt 16)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Murgie & Travelinlite, glad you guys had a fun time.
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
Becareful on those c/t, have you heard about that crash & burn thing?:joke:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for plotting out the route and posting this Murgie. A good trip indeed.

I am happy to report the Kumho (run-flat) rear and G709 front held up to the punishment, with even tire wear to the wear bars (and engine guards:oops:).

We discovered that the deer like the color Red of Murgie's bike better than mine;). No deer were injured during this journey.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is only about 3 things on WV 16. Coal mine towns, coal mines and twisties!

Welch, WV. This town is straight from the 1940's!

Check out the houses built on the side of the hill!

Old fashion drive-in

Stone Haven

Another Coal mining town

See the strangest things on the road. Look closer and you will see a miniture horse in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Great trip report Murgie good photos! :thumbup: Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
excellent pictures wish and I mean wish I was there to enjoy that ride can't wait till next ride in when is it anytime soon I hope

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Great pics..We will be in Virginia and West Virginia 4th July week...Looking forward to it!!!!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

Pics look good!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

.............................................(Key words)..............................
How come they (almost always) go from right to left???

Every one that I have encountered so far has been just like yours???

From Right to Left...

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Awesome guys !!! man I do get a kick out of this towns that have never really changed. I seen a load of sheep in a toyota truck Saturday in KY;) Never stops amazing me the thing one sees on the road :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Nice pics Murgie :thumbup: Willie and I got out today for a little under 400 mile ride. The weather was picture perfect and one of those days you wish you had every day of the year. Always enjoy the old towns that seems like time forgot about.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Nice pics! Looks like a fun trip. Glad you all had a great time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Sweet. :thumbup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey you guys, Rhonda and I were in Va about 3 weeks ago. We had ridden 16 about 5 years ago on a 1500 pulling a trailer. It was a lot more fun this time with new pavement and a Traxxionized 1800. Really a great ride.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Hey you guys, Rhonda and I were in Va about 3 weeks ago. We had ridden 16 about 5 years ago on a 1500 pulling a trailer. It was a lot more fun this time with new pavement and a Traxxionized 1800. Really a great ride.
Now that would have been nice if we would have met up on the road. That Rte 16 is awesome!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts