GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great trip from Mobile, AL to Meridian MS via Hwy 45 (except for one incident) this past weekend.

Followed my brother in law - he was on his 1500 GW - me and my wife on ours.

Weather was great - got up to low 70's during the day but when the sun went down got cool quick. Rode up to a lake he knew about - parked and had a good nature trail hike. Road a few curvey back roads. Came back home Sunday.

The one incident that kept the weekend from being totally perfect was when I was having the hotel's free little breakfast Sunday morning and the following happened: (If this isn't appropriate - mods pls delete)

Ok, I’m trying hard to keep this from being too long (good luck to me).
This past weekend took a little trip – stayed at a Super 8 Motel in Meridian MS.
Sunday morning getting some of their continental B’fast I witnessed what appeared to be a cheap, very loud, obnoxious idiot trying to use his handicap (used a cane or pretended to use a cane) as an excuse to try to sneak his family pet along on his trip without paying extra.
He came in throwing a cussing (freq shouting the F word) fit at the day clerk about them adding $10 to his bill when they found out he had a dog with him. This behavior cleared the place out (except for me).
Sign at the front desk said “No Pets” which he saw when he got the room and never mentioned to the desk clerk that he had a dog with him.
His argument was that HIS dog was a handicap service dog and the No Pets policy didn’t count in his case – that they should have had an additional sign that included wording about having a handicap “service animal” in it.
When asked why he didn’t mention having a service animal to the desk clerk he claimed legally he didn’t have to report that to anyone.
I felt so sorry for the young desk clerk having to deal with this man.
If he’d have been calm and civil in discussing this with the clerk I might have had a different opinion of him but this man’s behavior was sooooo stupid I had to think he was embarrassed at having been caught being cheap. I might be wrong but the only service animal (dog) that helps with a handicap that I know if is someone whose vision is impaired.
Anyways, he got the manager to the office – same behavior – the manager finally gave up reasoning with him and said he’d drop the charge as long as he never came back there again.
I’m as sympathetic as anyone when it comes to anyone’s disability but being right there seeing and hearing what I saw – I really don’t think that was the case with this guy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If the dog was indeed a service animal then the jerk was correct. The no pets policy does not pertain to service animals nor can the person be charged extra for it. Nor is there any documentation that can be demanded as proof. Up to the honesty of the person. From your description I do not think was a service animal.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Aw shucks, Army Cop........ you've let me down. I was so sure the ending of the story would be that you put the obnoxious jackass in his place in a quiet, but firm, and gentlemanly manner. As in picking him up by the seat of his pants and tossing him into the parking lot. :shock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts