GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode Tucson to Austin for the ROT Biker Rally this weekend. Door to door is 910 GPS miles, did it both ways in 13 hours and 30 minutes almost to the second. Averaged 68 mph block, mid 70's rolling. Both ways had a short stop for food....BBQ in Junction going and a Whataburger in Las Cruces on the way home. WX was typical for Summer in the South, saw as high as 105 enroute and 102 while riding around Central Texas, Austin mid-day humidity was in the 45% range.

Cut to the chase: I've been riding with the same folks for years and for the last few the conversation is the same. "Damn it's too hot to ride". Of course that is my opening, "If you would put some LDComfort on and cover up like I do you would be cool even if you don't look "Cool"." It works just about as well as it does on this board :). This year the standard gear was jeans and short sleeve t-shirts on the guys and jeans and tank-tops on the women, must say a good looking woman in a tank-top riding a Harley isn't displeasing. In someways I hope they never take my advise. A few have changed to full face helmets which is good but they still resist doing what is needed to ride in Texas summer heat. BTW, while I wasn't cold like I can be in the desert, even at 102 and 45% humidity I stayed very comfortable during our little snooze rides out to eat BBQ and explore the Texas Hill Country.

One other interesting thing my best friend (the son I never had), over a couple of beers, on the second night said "You know I've had 4 Harleys, they've all been POS. The only good thing I can say about them is they are easy to work on. I just can't ride with you, I'm flogging the ***** out of 'em just to keep up and they don't feel safe. I'm looking for a ST 1300." I hope (I know it's not possible) that isn't taken as Harley bashing because it isn't, it was just repeating an unsolicited statement from a confirmed HD rider. BTW, when he finds the ST 1300 I will have to go ahead and buy a Concours so he still can't keep up :).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still waiting for pictures of the biker babes... :popcorn:
Working on 'em as I type....just hard to find ones that are SFW :).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more on the parade route:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last one for now:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Well that's just great news. Went a picked up a low-mileage (9500 mlles) '03 Road King cream-puff yesterday for an irresistable price and thought I was going to be able to get rid of the Wings.

After owning many HDs over the years and liking them for what they are, I say, with much respect, they are no where near the LD contender that the Wing is when considering long-term reliability with minimal maintenance. From my experience, if you are going to have problems with a Wing out on the road (short of an accident), it usually only involves rubber...on the HD, the list is a bit longer and grows exponetially with the odometer. For me and considering how much I like classic motorcycles, in many respects, riding a newer Harley is alot like riding an older classic bike...and most classic bikes are not strong contenders in the LD world. The HD doesn't inspire one to do much sport riding as they handle like a classic bike, as well, which is okay with me when that's the kind of riding I want to do. Like comparing clydesdales and throroughbreds...both do good in their own element.

As an ex-ST1300 owner, I wouldn't worry about shopping for a Concours. For a bike so much lighter than the Wing, the fuel economy for the ST wasn't that impressive at all and the ergonomics leave much to be desired. Even with modifications, at the end of a long day on the ST, I found myself looking for a hot shower and a bed besides being dehydrated from riding a "heat pump" all day long. Not saying it wasn't a fun bike and I did like the powerplant, drive-train and second gear wheelies. The total package just didn't work for me on long-distance rides. I bought it strictly to rig out as an LD bike, it didn't work for me so I traded it in on a Wing which is getting the treatment that the ST was going to receive and what I should have done to start with. I could have endured the ride on the ST but on the Wing, the same ride is a pleasure.

The Wing may not be the best bike to race into Deadhorse on, to ford creeks or jet up Pike's Peak but short of a few instances, I'm finding it hard to beat it, over-all, for going distance, day after day.

Glad someone is getting to pound the highways as work is keeping me too close to home lately. Now I know how a rock-climber living in Florida feels. I strongly suspect your bud would have trouble keeping up with you on any kind of bike.

Z

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that's just great news. Went a picked up a low-mileage (9500 mlles) '03 Road King cream-puff yesterday for an irresistable price and thought I was going to be able to get rid of the Wings.

Glad someone is getting to pound the highways as work is keeping me too close to home lately. Now I know how a rock-climber living in Florida feels. ...

Z
ROTFLMAO. BTW love the little "sprite" on your garage floor.

Thought I was going to get to Lafayette for gumbo this weekend but played a little hard Thursday night, slept in Friday and would have had a hard time making it back for the start of the professional partiers Friday night and that is too good a show to miss. Went for BBQ instead :).

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
BTW love the little "sprite" on your garage floor.
WTF? I just snapped the pic yesterday and never really looked at the picture...wonder what the he11 that is? Shop gremlin? Maybe that's why my shop stays such a mess.

Actually, that's the future Mr. MotoGP...takes a fast shutter speed to catch the "monkey boy" in a still shot. He'll be 2 in August and already has several hundred two-wheeled miles on his resume. He's got it in his blood.

Hope to catch you on the road but don't see that happening until the end of the summer when I make it out your way unless you are in this part of the world. BBQ is not substitute for good gumbo but when you are a photo-journalist bringing us these quality shots, you simply have to make sacrafices.

I had planned on 2011 being a big riding year for me but got off to a bad start. I should have known better than to plan it. Maybe heading back to Indonesia and then, on to Malaysia soon cutting deeper into my riding schedule (besides currently working 6-7 days a week). If I have to miss rides, I'd rather it be due to business being good than anything. Considering the time I'm spending stuck in the shop, if I ever do get a break from work, I ought to be ready.

Regards,

Z

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to post one more image from the ROT parade route. This is "Red", she is a fixture on the route. Red started her routine when she was 17, before ROT went older than 18 for admittance, I would guess she is in her early 20s now. She wears one or two different outfits but her "school girl" one is worn most of the time. I think she hands out as many beads as she receives.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time. :doorag:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts