GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to acheive the proper tongue weight on an enclosed trailer that I will be storing my Wing in and transporting it in the same trailer when that is necessary. "IF".... I park the wing with the front wheel in first and mark where both the front and rear wheel touch the floor, which wheel will carry the most weight. I have the bike trunk almost touching the rear ramp door and am just over the ideal tongue weight. If I put tools etc up in the front of the trailer I will be exceeding the ideal weight considerably. If I park the bike in with the trunk first will that shift any more weight to the rear of the trailer? How about it some of you tech savy guys.
Waiting
Allan

·
Registered
759 Posts
pretty easy to find out for sure...go to a truck weigh scale...weigh front end load...then weigh the rear end load..and while u are at it..weigh the whole bike...then you will know exactly the weight on each wheel and total bike weight

·
Registered
656 Posts
With no riders the gl1800 will be front heavy, as the engine is mounted forward of the center. The trailer should be a little tounge heavy to improve handling. If you are exceeding a maximum tounge weight, I would suggest upgrading the hitch or getting some stiffer shocks/springs. My trailer is large and holds multiple bikes. My goldwing is almost completly in front of the trailer wheels and the tounge weight is still about average for a 1/2 ton pickup. Unless you are pulling the trailer with a very small car a goldwing in an enclosed trailer should be a pretty light load. You might check the specs. again, you should be able to pull a 10' enclosed trailer with a goldwing facing forward with any car that has a V8 and a class IV hitch and almost any pickup with a class IV hitch (or better) and at least a six cylinder engine. Of course you should have a big motor/transmission and larger cooling system for going cross country (especially in the mountains) JMHO, been pulling trailers for 30 years. I hope this helps.

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
343 Posts
What are you planning to pull this trailer with?
What type of hitch system do you have?
What size trailer?
Single or tandem axle?
All this has to be considered. A one tom truck will handle a lot more tongue weight than an S10. A torsion bar hitch will overcome some of these issues. Believe it or not, you are better off with too much tongue weight than too little, if proper steps are taken. A lite in the front trailer pulls like crap!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Here is the formula for center of balance of a vehicle ( knew this may come in handy someday.

1. weigh entire bike = GVW 2. weigh rear end = RAW
3. measure in inches the wheel base (axle to axle)= WB

Multiply Rear Axle Weight times the Wheel Base and divide
by the Gross Weight.
This will give you the center of balance( in inches) measured
from the front axle.

OR YOU COULD JUST BALANCE IT ON A STICK

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Type of Truch and Trailer

I have on '03 GMC 2500 with 410 rear end and 6 litre engine. I am not worried about the ability of the truck to pull the load. I have a factory installed towing package with hitch, trans cooler wiring etc.
The trailer is a TC tracker by Wells Cargo I think. It is a 6X12 with a V front for a total box length of 15'. I was told to try to keep the tongue weight at about 300 pounds. This would make the trailer pull best. The trailer by itself has 140 pounds of tongue weight. I also would like to keep the tongue weight down to a managable number to be able to use the jack wheel to swing the trialer around with the bike in it. If I get too much it will be unmovable. I have the wing as far back as it can go and the weight is over 300 pounds. With jacks, tools, spare, helmet bags, and riding clothing all up front that number will climb quickly. I guess it will just have to be whatever it is. Thanks for the responses. I dont see being able to back the wing into the trailer anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts