GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All.

I believe most are in the USA , I am in Australia.

I recently made the transition from a Blackbird (CBR1100XX) , to an 1800A Wing.

Being that like most I was not weaned on wings I am seeking advice on the secrets of (with pillion only) , better managing the bikes top heavy feel , at low speeds.

I find it worries me big time when doing parking & the likes as she is certainly heavy.

I weigh 100kg & the pillion is about 65kg.

So far I have realised that eeping the power on & slipping the clutch keeps it down , as does keeping the brakes taught , but seems odd.

I am 5ft 8" & 40yrs old , as I say a shorty. Buying a lower seat is an option but a huge cost from here.

Any advice would be very appreciated from more experienced wingers.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I never noticed it as being top heavy, Even with a passenger... Just go out on a parking lot and practice very low speed turns, lock to lock, you should be able to turn it in less than two parking spaces.

Good Luck :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
1) Do slow speed parking lot maneuvers in 2nd gear instead of first, it's not so "jerky" that way.
1st gear with the stock tire almost seems like a "granny gear" to me.

2) Check the free "play" on your throttle ... mine was very loose, it helped when I took most of the slack out (should be about 2-3 mm "play" after you adjust it).

Dennis

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Bob,

Who you calling short? :) I'm 5'6" and 51.

I purchased my first Gl1800 not too long ago. I have never noticed any feeling of it being top heavy. You want to talk about top heavy, check out the BMW 1200CLC. I traded mine in for this beauty.

I am sure that you will enjoy the ride and handling of the 1800. I know I do.

take care.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
You might also want to get the Ride Like a Pro IV by Jerry "Motorman" Palladino DVD. You can then set up some courses in a parking lot and practice. These are great DVDs and last year he had a Christmas sale for board members.

His web site used to have the info for setting up the courses and some tips.

www.ridelikeapro.com

With practice, practice, practice you can do slow speed manuvers like a Motor Cop (well almost).

Good luck, how is the riding down there this time of year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Short?????? I am 5'8" and weigh 140 lbs and am 70 years old. Do as Toemoss says, practice making slow turns in a parking lot. soon you will be able to turn lock to lock with confidence. Toemoss is an expert rider and pilot. However, I am a few months older that he and been flying 45 years and riding 50 years.

Dave

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Professor 596 said:
Excuse my ignorance--- what is a "pillion" :?:
That's what they call the passenger in Oz. :)

I thought if I stood on my head the word pillion would make more sense, but it just looks like uo!ll!d. And it hurt my head :(

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm assuming the pillion is a S.O. 65 kg = 143 lbs.

Three secrets to slow speed maneuvers:

1 - Head & eyes looking on the horizon where you want to go
2 - Weight to outside of turn
3 - Keep the bike under power by:
a. throttle/clutch control
b. drag a little rear brake

I agree that 2nd gear on the 1800 works better than 1st.

I cannot stress the 'eyes up, looking where you want to go' enough.
In trying to teach tight turns, I wish I had a string to pull riders' heads up!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not to put words in Bobt66's mouth...

But what he might mean is how heavy this beast is if it starts to lean too far!

As long as one keeps the bike neutrally balanced; it's fine
Once it's moving >5MPH; it's fine

But if one gets a little too much lean either stopped or at very slow speed, it gets very heavy very quickly!!!

Stay safe,

Lance

·
Registered
337 Posts
Themobb said:
Not to put words in Bobt66's mouth...

But what he might mean is how heavy this beast is if it starts to lean too far!

As long as one keeps the bike neutrally balanced; it's fine
Once it's moving >5MPH; it's fine

But if one gets a little too much lean either stopped or at very slow speed, it gets very heavy very quickly!!!

Stay safe,

Lance
Lance hit it spot on......

As long as she is moving.......one thing the Wing is not.....is top heavy. But.....after it gets past a certain point.....there is no going back. Don't ask me how I know this.

RRP

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Themobb said:
Stay safe,
Lance
It sure does. My theory is let it go, it is easier to pick it up, rather than to try and muscle it back to center. The crash bars protect very well at low speeds or when stopped (don't ask me how I know :oops: ) Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help ,Lance hit the spot bang on.

the issue is not when moving at 5mph plus , just when she is as nar as dammit to stopped.

I will take on board the "dragging the rear brake" ,& keep on at th clutch/power idea as I seem to be leaning that way.Keeping the eyes up is also something to try...

Wheather here is HOT HOT HOT..the wing indicated 35degrees celsius today on the highway at 70mph...so it was a warm one.

Yep our pillions are passengers & we talk metric not imperial...but I can convert sometime.

Again thatnks for the help from all the more experienced wingers.

bob.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Bob,

I second the Jerry Motorman DVD. Infact, he has a small girl upright a larg harley. His methods do work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts