GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem:

nuvi 755 GPS won't allow me to read files, does not charge from mini-USB port on unit, but does charge with cradle setup using +12Vdc input from bike's 12v plug in left front pocket.

Diagnostics:

- Garmin USB to mini-USB cable and second generic USB to mini-USB cable tried with desktop computer 1, no luck; doesn't charge, computer OS (WinXP) doesn't recognize nuvi when connected either direct while powered and booted, or connected while rebooting.

- Tried both cables (above) with laptop 2 (WinXP), same results.

- With cradle & attaching to 12Vdc power cord, unit will operate normally, when powered off, unit is recharging. This is setup used on bike for two-week long trip. I looked at files on nuvi using laptop 2 and cable 1 one time while on trip without issue.

- Now have Garmin USB to mini-USB cable attached to generic +5V USB output wall-wart; operates, but does not appear to charge.

Prior to my trip, all of the above functioned normally, as described above.

I'm now suspecting that the mini-USB port on the device has failed - even though it wasn't mechanically attached while in use on the road.

Any other ideas?!

·
Registered
396 Posts
That sounds like a bad cable. Does the connector on the unit feel loose?
I know you've tried 2 different ones, it'd be unusual for 2 to go bad.
Is the generic one the proper cable for the nuvi? They're not all the same nowadays.

I had a bad mini to usb cable on my phone just the other day, and I'm still in that mode.

I went to the phone store and had them try one of their cables to diagnose my problem. Maybe you have an electronics store nearby that you could do the same.

..louie

·
Registered
911 Posts
I just purchased a Nuvi 3790LMT from someone and they forgot to send me the pc cable...I purchased a generic one and couldn't get the nuvi to be recognized by 3 different computers...I then tried my cable that came with my cell phone and it took a few tries to get the computer to recognize it...even subsequent tries, it takes a few tries to get the computer to see it...the seller is now sending me the cord it came with so i'm eager to see if it gets the computer to see it on the first try...so, at this point try a different cable or goto the Garmin website and download the latest usb drivers.... http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591
good luck...ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
USB Port Repair?

UPDATE: Before I ship this thing off to someone I don't necessarily know to have this done, I thought I'd check here, with maybe guys like Waldo, LarryM, Jon...or anyone else...

I don't have SMD soldering stuff around the house, and I can't bring it here to work on it (loooong story!), so any of you guys have any success in repair/replacment of SMD USB ports like those found on my 755? It would appear that's the failure mode I'm dealing with on my unit.

There's some shops on-line that do the job for ~$100...maybe I do need to invest in some SMD gear. :joke:

Any interest, PM me; I'll get back with you later today. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I suggest you try a few more USB cables. I had to go through five to get one that worked with my 755T. I didn't get one with the unit (eBay used purchase), and went through a bunch that work fine on other devices until I found one that worked. I think the one I carry in my bike's trunk will work, too. I had a similar problem with my 2730. It would do Garmin mode but not USB. I sent it off for repair and got the normal swap-out. I couldn't connect with the new unit either until I tried another USB cable that worked fine. The Garmins appear real picky about the USB cable.

As far as the port - if you really think it needs resoldered try to find a local that will do it for you. The guy I work with is a wiz with the micro soldering tools and 'scope. Due to surface mount, many electronic repair techs have to be nowadays, if they aren't going to just swap boards. Maybe try a local tech school.

BTW, if you haven't checked the Garmin battery recall, do so. I sent mine back (on their dime) for a new free battery installed by the Garmin techs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts