GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was in DC during the weekend/mon & Tuesday of the Inaguration.
I was sitting in the parking lot of a Maryland Wal-mart, and my Garmin 2730, just lost contact with ALL of GPS sattellites.
Drove all over DC; no signals, not one

I rebooted the unit, went to the GPS menu, and sure as crap, it couldnt see not even ONE sat.

Came home sans the GPS, and left it in my bag until last week when I called the place I bought it from to activate my Extended Warranty.

Just for grins I plugged it in and set it in the window, BINGO, every sattellite in the sky popped up. I left it in the SUNNY window ALL day to see if it was a heat related issue...
No problem, all the sats strong and clear.

So my questions are...
1. Has anyone ever seen this type of behaviour before in a Streetpilot?
2. More sinister, and security conscious, did Dc officials blank out the gPS signals in the DC area during the Inaguration.

Any advice

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
2. More sinister, and security conscious, did Dc officials blank out the gPS signals in the DC area during the Inauguration.
Don't think you can "blank out" a geographical area from reception of GPS signals.

Further discussion of this topic requires the wearing of a tin foil hat for protection. :joke:

·
Registered
466 Posts
The military can block GPS signals, either locally, nationally, or worldwide. It is a common occurrence in high security situations/locations and the block in during the inaguration was just that..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts