GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 GL1800A, 1994 GL1500 SE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up here several years ago when looking to upgrade my 1100 Shadow, and ended up getting a GL1500, so never really came here.
My 1500 has had the infamous 4th gear shift shaft issue and I decided it was time to "upgrade". I had been looking at '97-'00 1500's (the shift shaft issue was fixed in those year models) and was about to pull the trigger on a '99 model locally with 50,000 miles when I came across a deal of an '02 posted on a local forum.

It is a Silver '02 with an included Bushtec trailer and lots of farkles with only 54,000 miles.
Only had it a few hours, but was a 4 hour ride home to get a little familiar with it.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

Still trying to figure out what/if I need to do to get it sorted for me (already moved the rear brake lever down a notch, was just too high for me).
I will be doing a little maintenance tomorrow (brake and clutch fluid change) and seeing if I can figure out why the seat heater (a Corbin seat) is not working.
Also want to move the shifter down a bit, but seems that is not possible?

·
Administrator
5,152 Posts
Blupupher, welcome aboard from the Southeast Texas Mod Squad member. Glad to have you here. We have a ton of knowledgeable and helpful guys who will be glad to assist any way they can. Yes, I see you've been here over 3 years but just started posting. Come on in. The water is fine!!!

Glen

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
935 Posts
Welcome from Crockett! Where in our Great State of Texas are you located? Sometimes the Corbin seats don't come with heat or you could have a loose wire or connector, pull the seat off and you can tell. You made a very good decision in buying the GL1800, so much improved over the GL1500, IMO. One thing you can get plenty of on this forum is advice, good and bad! :oops:

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Welcome from the "other side" of the world.............Massachusetts

Ronnie
11/

Reactions: blupupher

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I signed up here several years ago when looking to upgrade my 1100 Shadow, and ended up getting a GL1500, so never really came here.
My 1500 has had the infamous 4th gear shift shaft issue and I decided it was time to "upgrade". I had been looking at '97-'00 1500's (the shift shaft issue was fixed in those year models) and was about to pull the trigger on a '99 model locally with 50,000 miles when I came across a deal of an '02 posted on a local forum.

It is a Silver '02 with an included Bushtec trailer and lots of farkles with only 54,000 miles.
Only had it a few hours, but was a 4 hour ride home to get a little familiar with it.

View attachment 411033

Still trying to figure out what/if I need to do to get it sorted for me (already moved the rear brake lever down a notch, was just too high for me).
I will be doing a little maintenance tomorrow (brake and clutch fluid change) and seeing if I can figure out why the seat heater (a Corbin seat) is not working.
Also want to move the shifter down a bit, but seems that is not possible?

Nice looking combo and a good find. Make sure you follow the correct bleeding sequence when you do the brakes. I don't know if you have a shop manual but as this is your first 1800, that would be a great help too.

Reactions: blupupher

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome aboard from South Florida, Also while your doing the Clutch Fluid ANd have the bottom off to bleed the clutch Might as well do the coolant. Also do you know when the last oil change was. I would change the oil and the shaft oil also. Simple procedures and not time consuming. Welcome aboard lots of knowledge here and lots of people willing to offer advice and help. Plenty of Utube videos out there to assist also in showing step by step on all maint procedures.

·
Registered
2008 level 4 Red
345 Posts
Welcome aboard and what are your thoughts about the differences between your 1500 vs the 1800? I similarly joined years before I actually became a 1800 owner coming from a 1500 Valkyrie.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Welcome from Eastern NC.

Seat heat can be a temperamental item to figure out, I found out.

Could be fuse, bad heat element, lose wire/connection. They're "supposed to be" thermostatic controlled but, that's not really true either.

I can provide you a general electrical schematic, if you want to tackle it...hope it's something simple and NOT a bad heat elements...costly fix.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and miles of smiles 😃.

·
Administrator
6,130 Posts
Welcome from the eastern side of the Mod squad. I do remember the user name.
I think that you are still used to the feel of your old 1500. Put a few thousand miles on this one and it'll start feeling more natural. But yes, changing some fluids will allow you the chance to get to know your 'new' bike a little better, plus it's always a good feeling when you're done. Again, welcome back!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Welcome the 1800- As a fellow 2002 owner I know you got a great bike.
If it were me I would start by base-lining everything - all the maintenance -
Simple things -
Oil & filter - Air Filter - Brake & Clutch fluids - Final Drive Fluid - Coolant
Check Brake Pads and of course tires -

All of this you can do yourself with a little help from the forum if you need advice.

Of course the valves are due every 32,000 miles and many here will tell you they rarely need adjustment (but mine did at 35,000 miles)
This is something that should be on your radar I think .

Other things like creature comforts will come over time -
Suspension is likely not great anymore (time) unless it's been upgraded already - Monotubes in the front work well for a little extra money -
Seats - sound - etc are subjective .

My advice is try to ride it every day ;)

·
Registered
2002 GL1800A, 1994 GL1500 SE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks all, tons of info here for sure.

Welcome from Crockett! Where in our Great State of Texas are you located? Sometimes the Corbin seats don't come with heat or you could have a loose wire or connector, pull the seat off and you can tell. You made a very good decision in buying the GL1800, so much improved over the GL1500, IMO. One thing you can get plenty of on this forum is advice, good and bad! :oops:
I am in Katy.
My Corbin does have heat, it has the switches on it. The PO gave me a flash drive with all the info on it, so will be pulling that up and going over it. He said he may not have hooked it back up last time he had the seat off (neither the rider or passenger lights turn on or heat up). I did a quick check on the fuses and they are OK, just need to pull the seat to see if they are plugged in.
Nice looking combo and a good find. Make sure you follow the correct bleeding sequence when you do the brakes. I don't know if you have a shop manual but as this is your first 1800, that would be a great help too.
Yeah, I saw a video of it last night showing which bleeders go to which master.
I think it was right upper, left lower for front master, and then left upper, right lower, anti-dive, rear lower and rear upper for rear master (My bike has the Traxxion Full Montey, and I think the bypass the anti-dive, so that can be skipped?). Looks like kind of a pain, but not too bad to do every year or two.
I got both a Clymer and Honda Service manual with the bike, so I have those, plus here and youtube.
Welcome aboard from South Florida, Also while your doing the Clutch Fluid ANd have the bottom off to bleed the clutch Might as well do the coolant. Also do you know when the last oil change was. I would change the oil and the shaft oil also. Simple procedures and not time consuming. Welcome aboard lots of knowledge here and lots of people willing to offer advice and help. Plenty of Utube videos out there to assist also in showing step by step on all maint procedures.
Coolant, oil, rear shaft fluid and air filter was done about 18 months (3500 miles) ago. I was going to do the engine oil at 55,000 miles (and then do a 5,000 mile interval after that) and do the coolant, filter, and rear end @ 60,000 miles. Also going to do spark plugs @ 60,000 miles (PO said they had been changed, but could not remember what mileage).
Welcome aboard and what are your thoughts about the differences between your 1500 vs the 1800? I similarly joined years before I actually became a 1800 owner coming from a 1500 Valkyrie.
Hard to say so far, only a 4 hour ride home almost all freeway towing a trailer.
Power is better for sure and brakes are a whole lot better.
I like the audio better on the 1800 as well, I can actually hear the music @ 80 MPH, on the 1500, I just started using headphones because the radio was worthless above 50 mph.
That GToT got you thinking about more comfortable ride, eh?
I actually think my 1500 is a little more comfortable.
The Corbin is a little firmer than I am used to, and I need to get some bar risers on the 1800 to move the bars back a little, I feel I am leaning forward a bit too much on the 1800, and is causing my shoulders and neck to feel tight even after a 4 hour ride. I have ridden the 1500 for over 12 hours at a time and was fine.
The handling of the 1800 is a huge improvement over the 1500 (especially with the Traxxion Full Monty) even with a trailer attached, and other nitpicks can be fixed over time.

I am about to go do a ride for a few hours unloaded to really show how it handles.

·
Registered
2012 GL 1800/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
57 Posts
Hey man! You know me from the shadow forum (blue flames) and the other Wing forum. Congrats on the new bike! I,m jealous of the trailer you scored with the bike. Nice lookin set!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome from Iowa. Nice looking set up there, and even the full monty suspension upgrade. There were some frame welding issues on the 02` Gold Wings. If you bought from a dealer, they should have checked the frame welds over.. Give your V.I.N. to any Honda dealer, and they can tell you what, and when any warranty work has been done. Keep an eye on frame welds anyway pulling the trailer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts