GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Enjoy that bike, they are a blast off road. I luv the loading ramp you've got . Awesome.
As of yet, I have no time off road with it, only 20 miles on road. As for the ramp, if you're not familiar with it, it's called the Rampage lift. I used it for the Wing for years and love it. We carried the Wing many thousands of miles while on different vacations. This time, the Wing got carried ONE LAST TIME and, we carried the Twin home with it. That Africa Twin Adventure Sport model hovers around 550 lbs. So, loading it and unloading it, yeah, I would use absolutely nothing else.
Scott

Reactions: DaWadd

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Do you have any concerns over riding on Tube Type tires? I have had to use a plug kit several times on a tubeless tire.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank God that you didn't go the loud V twin route.........I myself is going to miss having you around, "when you spoke, I listened" If I didn't trike my wing out, then I would have gone the same route that you did... I am getting tired of going riding w/o any destinations in mind, or any one else to ride with ............So as you said this bike just sits in my garage covered over....

Ronnie
Captron,
I most certainly appreciate your nice comments. It was good being on here and, I'll most likely hang around to read what's the latest in the Wing world. It would be nice to have some riding partners here and, maybe if I tried, I might find one or two. The wife would be way more happy too if someone rode with me. I just love it so far.
Scott

Do you have any concerns over riding on Tube Type tires? I have had to use a plug kit several times on a tubeless tire.
Big Tom,
Well Sir, as long as I've been riding, approximately 45 - 50 years on all kinds of bikes, including Wings, off road bikes, combos, and all that, I'll bet I've had maybe, MAYBE 2-3 flat tires. And those have been at home. I also have a Yamaha TW200 that's a little tractor bike for buzzing around town and in the outback. I've ran the rear tire at 8 psi and the front at 4 psi for several months now and quite a few miles off road.

And as of yet, not a single issue running them at that low of psi. And, obviously no punctures yet either. Tube tires don't bother me. Yeah, they're a bit more of a pain to deal with in certain circumstances but, I guess it's because of my serious infrequency of messing with any problems of tube situation that, I'm just not too worried about it. I've carried a compressor and a plug kit on the Wing for years and years. I also carry a tiny compressor on my Yamaha too.

So, I'll fit one in a small box on the Twin or, I'll carry one in a back pack. Yeah, on a large type hole, a compressor doesn't do much for ya but, I'll carry a patch kit too. Although, I most certainly don't look forward to fixing ANY flats on that bike in the outback.
Scott

·
Registered
618 Posts
Good exit 'fireup', and enjoy the change. I too have been on this forum for years, and still follow from time to time. No big exit drum roll, just moving on. My 2005 GW/2012 RoadSmith three wheels just got to be something I was not happy with any more, there's a list, but no purpose in going through the list. It's replacement, a 2020 Canam Spyder RT Ltd, so not looking back. I've enjoyed this forum and still have it in my bookmarks for a read now and then. All the best.
Bill Williams

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well folks,
After piloting Honda Goldwings for well over 35+ years, it has come to an end. I have not stopped riding, just Goldwings. It's a long, long story but, in short, we, the wife and I, just haven't use the Wing to its potential for quite some time now, as in a few years. We live in Lake Havasu City AZ and would once in a while, when the weather was PERFECT, would ride to San Diego to see her mom and our kids. But, other than that, it was a short trip, around 40-50 miles to a distant restaurant etc. The Wing sat way more than in the last 5 years than it ever did the first 5 we owned this one. So, I've always had this interest in some form of lighter duty adventure riding.
About 9 or so months ago, I bought a 2007 Yamaha TW 200. If you don't know what that bike is or, what it looks like, look them up. They're a tractor bike. They're not very fast but, they'll get you there. But, the point is, I've used that bike in all kinds of little excursions around town and while on vacation and, have really grown a liking to that kind of versatility. So, with all that being said, I started thinking of a bigger, dual sport type bike. In short, I looked into Honda's Africa Twin. And folks, that was all it took. I sat on one at the dealer and, well, it was everything I could do, to hold back on buying one right then and there.

So, I thought about it for quite some time. I consulted you folks on here. And, after much deliberation between mostly myself, with some consultation from the CEO, I decided it was time to change riding tactics, AND BIKES!

So, I loaded the Wing up in the back of the truck and, we were off to Scottsdale in Phoenix. There, I purchased a brand new Honda Africa Twin, Adventure Sports model with the DCT. I have to tell you, that DCT is PHENOMENAL! We've all taken automatics in cars, trucks, motorhomes and more for decades but, an automatic in a motorcycle, WOW, is all I can say! And, I'm not sure how the new Wings DCT can be altered but, this one can be changed in all kinds of ways and directions. And you can do it in a heartbeat. I love this new bike, without a doubt. Yes, it's not a Wing and, I was aware of that waaaaaaaaaaaay before I made this decision. As stated, my riding tactics and anything that has to do with riding is and has changed.

I have loved the smoothness, quietness and all around very, very high quality of riding a Wing for years and years. But, someone is gonna get a very nice, well taken care of, highly farkled Wing. I traded it in 'cause, I didn't want to sit on it for months while this Corona thing is hanging over all our heads. Anyway, I want to thank all of you that have helped any time I asked for it. You're all a great bunch with outstanding experience and knowledge that help many, many Wingers on here. I won't forget this. I'm really not sad. It's a new adventure for me. Take care all.
Scott
  • (y)
Congrats on the new bike. Many miles and smiles ahead.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds great and wishing you great rides and big smiles. I think I will be facing a similar decision in the not distant future. I love my 2016 Wing, and now that my wife has pretty much stopped riding with me, I can probably go another few years before the weight of the bike becomes too much for me to safely handle. I keep mulling over which of the many available lighter bikes I would go to. I love the Africa Twin but despite your reassurances, at 5'7" and a 29 inch inseam I just don't think I could be comfortable with that high a seat. The CTX700DCT is intriguing, but I have yet to actually find one to sit on, let alone get a demo ride. I've even considered a road worthy scooter. But maybe I will go ahead and least try to ride the Africa Twin and have some off road capability. Again, good luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sounds great and wishing you great rides and big smiles. I think I will be facing a similar decision in the not distant future. I love my 2016 Wing, and now that my wife has pretty much stopped riding with me, I can probably go another few years before the weight of the bike becomes too much for me to safely handle. I keep mulling over which of the many available lighter bikes I would go to. I love the Africa Twin but despite your reassurances, at 5'7" and a 29 inch inseam I just don't think I could be comfortable with that high a seat. The CTX700DCT is intriguing, but I have yet to actually find one to sit on, let alone get a demo ride. I've even considered a road worthy scooter. But maybe I will go ahead and least try to ride the Africa Twin and have some off road capability. Again, good luck and safe riding.
Vito,
Here's a tid-bit of info. There are TWO models of the Africa Twin. One is the base model Africa Twin. The other, is the Africa Twin Adventure Sport model. The seat height on the standard Twin is lower than the Adventure Sport model. The primary reason is, one of the upgrades of the Adventure Sport model is LONGER TRAVEL SUSPENSION. Now, it's only about 1" longer travel but, add that to an adjustable seat height and, the regular Africa Twin does sit quite a bit lower. So, that's something to ponder over. And in all reality, there's not a thing wrong with purchasing the regular Twin. It's the same identical bike only, you get a smaller gas tank, 4.3 gal vs 6.4 gal on the Sport and, that larger gas tanks is a fair bit wider than the standard Twin model which, to some folks, that's important.
So I see your Twin has a front crashbar and Skid plate, is that standard equipment on all AFrica Twins ?
Cycledude,
Yes, the Africa Twin *Adventure Sport" model does come with the crash guards and skid plate. Although, the skid plate is thought of as a bit on the ischemic by some harder core riders. Maybe so, but, it's better than nothing.
Scott

21 - 29 of 29 Posts