GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was turning it into a parking space doing the usual left turn around so I would be facing outward and halfway through the turn I hit the front brake. Down I went. I tried the lifting procedure that I was taught and had worked for me on my VTX, but I could not lift this best. Luckily, a strong man in the parking lot helped me and we got it upright. Having been a Wing owner for a whole 2 weeks, this did little to improve my confidence. :oops:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Most importantly , how are you? If your not Hurt no big deal , some of us have already lost our pride and the others will in time. Welcome to the easy way
to check your tires club!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Almost everyone does this as time goes on you learn how the bike acts in turns in parking lots watch gravels oil and if you are short in the inseam have the seat lowered helped me a lot.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It happens, and you ride on. Hopefully your pride is all that was damaged. There's a reason Honda put those crash bars on there, and it isn't because they make the bike look better. Hitting the front brake only can take you down in a hurry. I'd suggest laying a moving blanket or such out on flat ground and practice laying it over and picking it up. Laying it over is one way you can change your rear tire. Just have someone there to help keep the bike from continuing the roll onto the mirrors. Practice makes perfect... and welcome to the club! Picking the bike up is like putting it on the center stand. A lot of technique, and just a little muscle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It happens, and you ride on. Hopefully your pride is all that was damaged. There's a reason Honda put those crash bars on there, and it isn't because they make the bike look better. Hitting the front brake only can take you down in a hurry. I'd suggest laying a moving blanket or such out on flat ground and practice laying it over and picking it up. Laying it over is one way you can change your rear tire. Just have someone there to help keep the bike from continuing the roll onto the mirrors. Practice makes perfect... and welcome to the club! Picking the bike up is like putting it on the center stand. A lot of technique, and just a little muscle.

Uh, I tried putting it up on the center stand too.....can't do that either without a little help. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've done it too. Mine was a real bone head move. Leaned the bike over. No kickstand:eek:4: As long as you're OK, all is well. Don't let it get to you. A lot of us have done it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't feel bad

While it was on it's side, did you check the rear tire. That's a great opportunity! Welcome to the club my friend. It's happened to me, and I'm sure it will happen again.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Welcome to OBAST (Official Bank Angle Sensor Tester), Many of us have "been there, done that" and it usually involves an audience. It is good to practice returning the Wing to it's normal upright stance so that you know the technique and it reduces the apprehension of being able to do it. I have seen men and women shorter than me who are able to right it, as stated, it is more technique than muscle.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
I would suggest a MSC using your bike before you ride on public streets

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
No harm, No foul. Now you know what NOT to do. LMAO. :eek:4:

Lay the beaste down and practice standing her up. It isn't hard. It does take properly doing it, otherwise you could hurt yourself and no one is going to manhandle a half ton MC anyway.

The engine guards need to be function tested from time to time, and if no pictures exist, it didn't happen (this time). Don't sweat the small stuff.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have become an expert at righting my wing! We are an exclusive group and the numbers will continue to grow over time.:lol:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
"checkpoint chicky?" This is a delicate question to ask but "chicky" suggests female. No insult is intended.

Are you a woman? If you are, even a woman of small stature should be able to lift the bike using your back and strong muscles in your thighs if you relax, take a deep breath, remain calm, and use the method shown in the video posted above. I'm an old guy, not as strong as I once was, but I can pick my Goldwing up if I have to or put it up on the center stand.

If you have someone to help and are in a private location where you aren't embarrassed or stressed you should be able to lift it with practice.

·
Registered
512 Posts
checkpoint chicky,

do not let this get to you. something to keep in mind when you are trying to turn tight in close in parking lots as you were attempting
try not to ever turn the handlebars more than 50%(in regards to how tight they can turn) at very slow speeds
in other words always look before you get into a turning situation and make sure you can make a sweeping turn. Once you go past about 50% of how far the handlebars can be turned the front tire really likes to "plow" into the pavement. If doing this on dirt or gravel it is almost a guaranteed dump over. Dont care how 'skilled' a bike rider you think you are,it is just physics. especially until you have run the wing many miles ,
i have done it myself,,when you try and make a tight left turn,you NEVER realize it,,but lots of times even when clutching with your left hand while turning tight left you are slighlty gassing the bike with your right hand as the handlebar is 'pulling' away from your right hand. I have caught myself many a time doing this very thing! This may have been some of what happened to you as well so don't feel incompotent in what you did!
when you have some time and a friend there to assist you,you ought to 'practice laying' the bike down ( in your yard,grass maybe)and doing the back up to the bike pickup routine. Once you have done it,this will help with your confidence level, I am sure.
Also get a friend there that has a GW to help you get the hang of sitting the wing up on the center stand. Once get the 'swing' of doing the center stand thing it will be failry easy for you, I would bet.
You didnt say how tall,weight you are and for smaller people the wing is all to do to get it up on center stand and such.
Ride Safe!

take care,
bc

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To answer a few of your questions: Yes, I am a 58 year old female. Yes, I had many Wingers at the dealership show me and help me get it on the center stand yet I cannot seem to do it myself, almost but not quite. And yes, I did the normal technique for righting the bike and still could not raise it. I'll still work at it though.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
So, Chicky, how are you at getting it OFF the center stand? But seriously, you have done the "too much front brake" trick now and have learned from it. You won't "fall" for that one again. Breathe in, breathe out, move on. And go to an empty parking lot and just ride in circles for a while. Do big ones at first and then begin to tighten them up. If you feel like you are in trouble just straighten out and roll out of it. Practice, practice, practice. You will be fine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts