GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked up the courage to back the Wing out of the garage this morning and got it turned around facing the street. Then I geared up and took it for a 35 mile ride. I was nervous and not confident, especially when it came to stopping. the Wing has superior braking power and that was what always got me rattled before because my stops were always abrupt and not smooth. After about 15 miles I got that better under control. I had my wrist wrapped in a brace which helped but the wrist did get very sore from all the clutch-pulling. I did country roads and roads in town with lots of traffic and traffic lights. Right now, the Wing is not very enjoyable to me. I hope I get to liking it better after coming from riding a VTX 1300 for three years. It does take some getting used to and I only had it for two weeks when I fell and broke my wrist so there may be hope for me yet. :22yikes:

P.S. The Ultimate Mid Rider seat is great.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't quit trying. You'll get it! Be careful with that wrist and brace. We don't want you getting hurt again.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
In a couple of hundred miles, it'll all be great again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Take your time ride slow and ride long . You will get the hang of it and you will fall in love. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I too came from a VTX 1300 to the Wing and a big difference in my book. Just take it easy and work up to in and you'll wonder why you thought the beast was a handful. Good luck and don't push that wrist too hard.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
VTX or GW?

Congrats on getting back on the road! Your VTX isn't much lighter than the GL1800, but I'll bet it was easier to get both feet flat on the ground. Some folks like the seating on a cruiser or a "standard" better. Give it some time.

On your braking, one trick is to apply a little rear brake first, then squeeze the front brake lever. This can help settle the bike and keep it from nose diving. Also, some folfs stiff arm the bars when braking and this can make everying clunkier. You might try gripping the tank with your thighs while braking. This can help keep your arms and hands relaxed, and may allow you better control of braking and steering.

Where are you going tomorrow?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I came from a VTX 1800 F, so I know where you are coming from, I however had a 200 mile trip home from the dealership where I bought it from with a passenger, so I was really kinda freaked out, I got comfortable about half way home...It still takes a little getting use to, keep riding it just like you did today a little at a time, I am sure you will get the hang of it and start loving it very soon...Be safe & enjoy :biker:

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
glad to hear u are back to riding, most folks are intimidated by the size of the wing at first so don't let that discourage you, i think in a couple more weeks u will get used to the size and it won't be a big issue any more, then the next time u ride a 1300 u will be saying wow this thing feels a lot smaller than i remember

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It will take some time, but you'll get more comfortable on it. I'd concentrate on parking lot practice and getting your stops smoother where you don't have to worry about cars and other obstacles. Glad to hear you're back in the saddle. An accident can sure have a serious effect on your confidence, but you'll get it back with time and practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
792 Posts
First of all, don't undo the healing that has brought you this far. The thing the Wing has in its favor over the 1300 is the hydraulic clutch. It is much less fatiguing. I suffer from carpal tunnel issues and found squeezing a soft rubber ball helps condition my wrist for repetitive clutch and brake action when not riding for periods of time. Check with your Dr. to see if something similar may help rebuild your wrist function.

I am among the crowd that converted from a VTX1300 (S model) to the Wing and braking is among the many differences between the two. As you said, it is far superior to the VTX but getting comfortable with the difference in response will only take a short time. Get in as much practice as you can with gradual stops so you know how your Wing responds before that 'panic stop' is needed.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Just remember, nice and easy straight on stops with no turn to the handlebars at all. When the time comes where you feel comfy doing anything sparky you will know it. Enjoy that Wing and take it easy and you will be fine in no time.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
The 1300VTX has the reputaion of a clutch pull that is a bear; unless you have one of kits to reduce pull. The GL is hydraulic, so no kit, but set teh lever cam to "0" and it will be easier for ya.

prs

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I remember reading your previous post about breaking your wrist. I'm so sorry that you got hurt.

Pardon me for saying it, but it seems like your experience with the Goldwing has been a painful, unpleasant struggle without an ounce of fun. Motorcycles are supposed to be fun!

It is very common for people to buy a motorcycle and then immediately realize that "I made a mistake. This motorcycle is just not right for me". It doesn't mean you failed at something. Find a motorcycle that you enjoy riding. God bless you and good luck.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Don't give up. Worry about what is in front of and around you and have the trust that the machine under you will do its part. Size and weight are irrelevant once you get moving and figure the balance.
Yes I really am saying that most of it is in your head. LOL Not in a negative way by any means, the Venture I had was very intimidating when looking at it. When that was out of my head it was a very capable and trusted machine, the Wing is better at almost everything than the Venture was. I just wish it was a comfortable to me.

Keep the shiny side up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wouldn't push the wrist too much. You don't want to screw it up permanently while it's mending. You won't enjoy any bike if you do that. Take care!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About the clutch, there is a little numbered wheel on the clutch lever....what is that for and is it numbered to make the clutch easier to pull? What number should it be set at?

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
The adjustment on the clutch lever housing adjusts the clutch engagement point. Won't help with wrist muscle stress.

Just take your time and be patient. The Goldwing is awkward at slow speeds and requires time, practice, and patience. I have struggled with the adjustment and gaining comfort with it also and I suspect most riders do.

I've tried to retrain myself to slow with the footbrake but make the final stop with the handbrake and have the bike balanced and both feet free and ready to step down on the pavement as it stops.

Take it slow and give yourself time.

I was at the local Honda dealer yesterday having tires replaced and a couple from Houston on their way to Albuquerque came in to have a tire replaced. They were each riding BMWs. The woman, petite and slender and, I'll guess in her early 50s, said she had ridden a Goldwing for years before she traded it for the BMW.

You can do it also. Just don't rush yourself or be too hard on yourself.

·
Registered
366 Posts
About the clutch, there is a little numbered wheel on the clutch lever....what is that for and is it numbered to make the clutch easier to pull? What number should it be set at?
The numbered wheel is to set how far from the bar (grip) the lever starts at. If your hands are small you can set it to where you can reach the lever easier. Try setting it at different numbers and see which is the most comfortable for you. The brake lever has the same settings.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts