GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing all the posts on here over the years of people getting a nail in their tire I went out to the garage this morning and noticed the bike felt sluggish like it had a flat when I rolled it out into the driveway. I already had planned to take the wife's trike into work so I thought nothing of it. I just got back into the garage and noticed the tire looked flat. Sure as ****- there's a little piece of wire/ metal/ brad nail, whatever the darn thing is, that managed to get at the right spot to push through the dang tire. Only had 5000 miles on that tire as well. I've already removed the offending piece of FOD, and plugged the tire. However, I'm sure this means I'll be changing at least the rear tire before our approximately 2,500 mile trip to Wing Ding and back. I usually replace both tires as a set, but not sure I want to replace a perfectly good front tire if I don't need to.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My first bolt in the tire occurred 400 miles from home when bike only had 5000 miles on it. 105,000 flat free miles since....and hope to stay that way.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had flats before, but from the crappy valve stem problem. I now use the metal valve stems and haven't had problems like that thankfully. The bike has just shy of 55,000 miles on it so I guess I'm not doing terrible. I was actually getting ready to replace my brake pads and change the fluid when I noticed this.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
After seeing all the posts on here over the years of people getting a nail in their tire I went out to the garage this morning and noticed the bike felt sluggish like it had a flat when I rolled it out into the driveway. I already had planned to take the wife's trike into work so I thought nothing of it. I just got back into the garage and noticed the tire looked flat. Sure as ****- there's a little piece of wire/ metal/ brad nail, whatever the darn thing is, that managed to get at the right spot to push through the dang tire. Only had 5000 miles on that tire as well. I've already removed the offending piece of FOD, and plugged the tire. However, I'm sure this means I'll be changing at least the rear tire before our approximately 2,500 mile trip to Wing Ding and back. I usually replace both tires as a set, but not sure I want to replace a perfectly good front tire if I don't need to.

Unless it's in the sidewall....if the plug holds for 24 hours without leaking, it will hold forever. You may want to if it makes you feel better but you do not HAVE to swap out a perfectly good tire because you have a plug in it.

Lot's of people won't run a plugged tire...but many do and I haven't heard any catastrophic results.

Your money, your life.....your choice.

·
Registered
334 Posts
IMHO... the only place for a plugged tire is in the dumpster. I carry a plug kit and have used it at least twice when I picked up a nail, but only to get me to the nearest tire store. I know a lot of people think a plugged tire is fine but I like peace of mind and will get a new tire rather than ride on a plug.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Many of us who have plugged tires in the past have no problem with piece of mind. Perhaps because it works on small holes and we haven't wasted a perfectly good tire. Jmho

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
different strokes for different folks!

I will have no problem using this tire for the next month-month and a half. However, I personally do not want to play roulette with a plugged tire on a 2500 mile trip with my wife while pulling a trailer. I also plan to compete in the Top gun and amazing challenge competitions which, in my opinion, put more stresses on a tire than typical riding. If I was just going back and forth to work, I'd be fine, however, I have my limits. I'd rather spend the money on piece of mind and not need to, than to save the money and be worrying the entire trip.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I will have no problem using this tire for the next month-month and a half. However, I personally do not want to play roulette with a plugged tire on a 2500 mile trip with my wife while pulling a trailer. I also plan to compete in the Top gun and amazing challenge competitions which, in my opinion, put more stresses on a tire than typical riding. If I was just going back and forth to work, I'd be fine, however, I have my limits. I'd rather spend the money on piece of mind and not need to, than to save the money and be worrying the entire trip.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?349921-Question-for-all-the-tire-pluggers-out-there&highlight=pluggers

Might be worth a read.....lots of guys pushing it way harder than you would be.

It's only roulette if they have a tendency to fail which is just not supported by actual evidence of it happening...or at least not on this forum.

I started that thread because I was trying to make up my mind. I've since been fully convinced that a plugged tire is just as good as a non-plugged one and won't be prematurely swapping out any more tires.

But like I said earlier....your money, your life, your choice.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Keep it for later

You can always put a new tire on for the trip and put the plugged one back one after you get home to "use it up". After all, you do have a spare rim, don't you? (Doesn't everyone?) :joke:

Or at least your own tire changer so you can do the swap on the same rim. (You do have a tire changer, right?):joke:

And I guess you need some kind of lift to get the rear wheel off the bike (since you have hitch and can't go "out the back" very easily) That is, unless you are willing to put the ol' gal down for a short nap.

Never mind, this is starting to hurt my brain...:doorag:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?349921-Question-for-all-the-tire-pluggers-out-there&highlight=pluggers

Might be worth a read.....lots of guys pushing it way harder than you would be.

It's only roulette if they have a tendency to fail which is just not supported by actual evidence of it happening...or at least not on this forum.

I started that thread because I was trying to make up my mind. I've since been fully convinced that a plugged tire is just as good as a non-plugged one and won't be prematurely swapping out any more tires.

But like I said earlier....your money, your life, your choice.
Good read, thanks. I may reconsider after a week or so of riding. But I may also order the tire(s) so I have them ready if I need them atthe last minute before our trip.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can always put a new tire on for the trip and put the plugged one back one after you get home to "use it up". After all, you do have a spare rim, don't you? (Doesn't everyone?) :joke:

Or at least your own tire changer so you can do the swap on the same rim. (You do have a tire changer, right?):joke:

And I guess you need some kind of lift to get the rear wheel off the bike (since you have hitch and can't go "out the back" very easily) That is, unless you are willing to put the ol' gal down for a short nap.

Never mind, this is starting to hurt my brain...:doorag:
Spare rim- No. not yet.
Tire changer- yep, got one of them.
Lift- got one of them too, not a table lift, but it raises the bike plenty high for a tire change.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Guess we have most of you beat, the wife's new 2013 vaquero, 299mi, nail in the rear tire. Dropped it off at the shop today for new rubber.:wrong:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts