GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ayup. After 3 years of faithful service, my $12.00 Cramp Buster throttle rocker finally died. I picked up a new one on sale at my local Cycle World For $6.00 on sale. Balance has been restored to The Force and all is well. I love mine. How about you?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have used throttle rockers of one type or another for many years. Even with cruise, there are many times the rocker comes in handy. Especially for those of us with arthritis.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Not for my wing but I got one for my other bikes but have not put it on yet will the rocker go over grip puppies? seems you might end up breaking it ? :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I prefer the " throttle rocker" brand-- it's contoured to fit the palm of your hand. The original fits best on standard gw grips, but you can heat it in hot water to make it give enough to fit over bigger diameter grips. They also make a style with Velcro that fits any diameter grips-- I prefer it. I always keep a spare in the bike, just in case. Never leave home without it!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I prefer the " throttle rocker" brand-- it's contoured to fit the palm of your hand. The original fits best on standard gw grips, but you can heat it in hot water to make it give enough to fit over bigger diameter grips. They also make a style with Velcro that fits any diameter grips-- I prefer it. I always keep a spare in the bike, just in case. Never leave home without it!!
Ditto...wouldn't ride the bike on a day trip or longer without it. I lost one once down in Vermont and searched all over during the trip for a source. When I finally found a dealer that sold them, I bought two.

One thing is to make sure it's properly fitted on the elastic band that surrounds the grip. I doubled up on the elastic from both units I bought for a firmer fit of the plastic to the handlebar. Also, from time to time it has to be adjusted for angle, but it sure makes driving more pleasurable. Only downside is after a long period of use, my hand starts to go to sleep from the pressure on my wrist, until I move my hand around a bit.

One of motorcycles truly great accessory inventions......

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Not for my wing but I got one for my other bikes but have not put it on yet will the rocker go over grip puppies? seems you might end up breaking it ? :thumbup:
Yes it will! Had one on mine for years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Throttle Boss

Yes, thought the 'Cramp Buster' was 'it' til it vibrated off coming back through the Destruction Bay, Yukon construction washboard. On the way up it almost launched me face first into the 4 inch deep ball bearing laden pudding that almost passed for a road. The mogul field of potholes as pavement transited to mush in the downpour were so deep that they twisted the throttle in big jerks til I had the temerity to move it outward and my hand inward on the grip! Got slowed enough to stop, lower windshield in order to see the road surface at all then drove mostly in the wrong lane for miles as it was marginally passable. Sooo...replaced it with a 'Throttle Boss', not as comfortable on the heel of my hand but doesn't have the wide profile of the buster, is easier to get off the thing and it attaches very smartly and firmly to the OEM grip. The Cramp Buster would float around on the grip especially when bumped upwards. My 1st two wings didn't have such firm throttles ('84,'02). After 38,000 on the '12, 33,000 with the floppy one..my vote is for the 'Throttle Boss', slightly less comfortable but much more stable and dependable.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Ayup. After 3 years of faithful service, my $12.00 Cramp Buster throttle rocker finally died. I picked up a new one on sale at my local Cycle World For $6.00 on sale. Balance has been restored to The Force and all is well. I love mine. How about you?

View attachment 73054
So THAT'S what happened. Here we are in a terrible drought and suddenly we get torrential rains and mudslides....

Glad you got the balance back - I love my cramp buster, too.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
I have not ridden without one for years.I honestly believe that my cramp buster is the best option that I ever spent money on!
I will never ride w/out one.............love it!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
FYI...........for those who have ISO grips, Kury makes 2 styles of rockers that screw on the end of the grip. I have the larger one and like it. Takes care off the changing position problem.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I lost a couple when they came off the end of the grip. I made a large diameter "washer" to fit under the bar-end weight that's large enough to keep the device in place but still allow it to be removed if I try. No more lost ones.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I lost a couple when they came off the end of the grip. I made a large diameter "washer" to fit under the bar-end weight that's large enough to keep the device in place but still allow it to be removed if I try. No more lost ones.
Excellent idea...and like most truly good ideas, it's simple in nature. I'm going to get on my metal lathe and make a couple out of black plastic so they match the current black factory grip ends.

Thanks...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts