GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backing out of my parking spot at the house this morning it finally happened. I just wasn't feeling it I guess and as I was walking it backwards there it went. My 2012 GL started going over and I couldn't hold it. So was lucky and was able to ease it down to where it didn't crash and laid it on the crash bar. Now im in a dilemma. Im 6'2" and weigh 190 lbs soaking wet and I'm sitting there wondering how in the heck am I going to pick up a 900lb bike.

So I'm lifting and its not moving I got the jack out of my car thinking It could assist me. Nope no where to place it without damaging the bike. So after about 30 minutes of straining I called work and said I wasn't going to make it, cant leave the bike laying on its side all day. The neighbor had left already, and the wife was gone, so didn't have any help what to do.

So here we go I thought maybe someone has had this problem before lets check the web.

Boom first video I watched this little guy pick one right up and made it look effortless. I was astonished.

He said well turn the bike on and put it in reverse if it isn't in gear and then turn it back off, this acts like an emergency brake and keeps the bike from rolling on you. THen sit on the seat and grab the seat handle and handlebar and just walk backwards letting your legs do all the work.

I followed his instructions to the letter and holy cow I lifted it right up. I was amazed at how easy it was. It really is about proper technique.

Thank god no damage anywhere, not even a scratch.

So for anyone else that has this issue hope it helps. Safe riding everyone

Registered
(y)Good for you. Now I may have to come by your place to practice lifting your bike so I can get my technique worked out 馃榿I tried lifting a buddy's Wing and wasn't successful.

Administrator
Yep! My bike has a trailer hitch so for many years I've been laying it on its' side to change tires. It looks sad and scary to see one's high-dollar bike lay down, but once you learn the technique you can get them right back up pretty easily. As Metalman said, it was easy back in 2006, but it is getting more difficult every year.

Glen

Registered
It's all about the technique. Lifting a big bike is easy with the proper technique.

Reactions: Glockjock

Registered
As for trying to lay it over gently, I have been using visualization training from day one; if I ever drop mine, once it goes past the point of no return, I will not fight it, but simply let it fall. The biggest danger of personal injury is trying to fight it and lay it down 'gently'. At least that's so for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually I did go to work lol was a little late, and no didnt fight it just assisted a little so it didnt slam down

Registered
As long as you can get traction under your feet, the technique works very well. I dropped mine once on an incline that was covered with sand (and dropped because of the sand and incline). I spent several minutes moving the sand away with my foot and was able to lift it right up once I was able to get my feet to stay put during the lift.

Registered
The anticipated tip-over events for changing rear wheels is just practicing of the technique for when it happens on the road. :cool:

Not long ago, I was unfortunate to have a zero MPH collision with the ground - with my wife on board.

I've helped her understand that there's no way - even when we were 20 years younger - that we're stopping that 900 pound pig from going over. All you can do is (limited) control of how it hits.

I had to nudge the bike slightly to get her foot out of the way. She left it right on the floorboard as I've explained to her. Once she got away from the bike and fully upright, I asked if she was okay. She answered yes.

At that point, I swung into action, and had the bike upright in about 20 seconds.

One Rivco Aero Peg later... I just recently tossed it in the trash; did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Registered
Over the years I have dropped a few sports bikes due to there shitty side stands but I am glad to say I never dropped the wing yet (y)

Registered
My Kawasaki Voyager and I tipped over one day while I straddling the bike at a standstill and a passerby in a car helped me get the bike upright. I tried by myself, no chance. I have seen videos on YouTube showing how to get the bike upright but that went out of mind when I was actually in the situation.

Registered
Boom first video I watched this little guy pick one right up and made it look effortless. I was astonished.
He said well turn the bike on and put it in reverse if it isn't in gear and then turn it back off, this acts like an emergency brake and keeps the bike from rolling on you. THen sit on the seat and grab the seat handle and handlebar and just walk backwards letting your legs do all the work.
I followed his instructions to the letter and holy cow I lifted it right up. I was amazed at how easy it was. It really is about proper technique.
I put mine on its side in the garage once, carefully protected, highway peg off, etc. Then tried to get it upright and could not, so had to have my son help me. I鈥檝e seen the videos. My question for you is, what do you think was the big difference between how you tried at first, and how you actually got it up after watching the video?
Txs.

Registered
When you are 6'3" tall that butt in the seat thing doesn't work quite as well. Can't get my legs under me to walk it up. Probably because I'm just clumsy.

Mild Hog
I am 5-9 and 180 lbs . The trick is in the baby steps you use while walking backwards . Really, slide your left foot about three inches back then your right foot . The bike will stand right up.

Registered
Don't worry about putting in reverse, just put it in first. Won't roll.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts