GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and i went on a 1700 mile trip a few weeks ago and when returning i thought i could hear some noises from the front end, possible tire whine or wheel bearing noise. After cleaning the bike up the next day went for a short ride and sure enough wheel bearings are howling. So i called the local dealer, which is new to this area ,i would like to support them but i was told that it would take up to 2 weeks to get the parts. Then i ordered the parts myself, via internet, had them 3 days later. Life got busy and it was last weekend when i had time to put them in. When i started the bike after sitting a week and a half i could tell the battery was on its last leg. The wife was joking around and said you should have bought that new one we saw at Russellville . I knew that she was joking but it got me thinking, you see our bike is a 2003 with now 107,000 miles we bought it 5 years ago with 49,000 miles on it. The original owner had every ticket where the dealer in his area had kept it up for him, he had no mechanical problems while he had it except for normal wear items, tires,brakes, battery, ect. Now this is the first mechanical problems that we have had except for normal wear items. For us that is 60,000 miles-smiles without any worry. I think that is the sign of a very high quality machine and it is just a machine . I think you could not ask for any thing more. How could anyone not be happy with that.:grin2:

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
= reason to buy new bike ! Wife "hinted " ok !!! Can't go wrong !! :surprise::wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yep, that's how it starts. My birthday 3 years ago wife asks what do you want to do today? Well, I don't know. She says "how about going to the Honda dealer?" What???

So, I got a new one even though I didn't need it. The 2006 only had 165k miles and ran fine. So, why did I get it? Because she said so! (and the dealer gave me deal I couldn't refuse) :wink2:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Because she said so! (and the dealer gave me deal I couldn't refuse) :wink2:

Which of these is a more rare occurrence?

To the OP, IMHO the battery is normal maintenance as well.

Reactions: Arizona16

·
Registered
304 Posts
I change my oil every spring. Last year I put 400 miles on it. This year, I've already put more than that on it. I had surgery and corrected a problem I'd had for years and didn't realize how uncomfortable it was to ride because of it. The girl friend likes to ride and if I got a triek, she'd be even happier. I just don't want to spend the money. My bike runs and rides good and is pretty distinctive. I asked the original owner once if he found an accessory catalog, opened it and said "gimme".

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
My 07 with 165k has a howl/growl in its rear end. It's been going or for a while, and when on a center stand, and while spinning the tire by hand, I can hear it then too. I did pull the drain plug and found unusual metal on its magnet. For now I've changed the oil, and will get another final drive unit from a trike shop soon. For now, and since the I'll be replacing the entire unit, I've been riding it locally. I do have a trip coming up in a couple of month, and will have it fixed by then. In the mean-time, hopefully it will not develop into a leak.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Which of these is a more rare occurrence?

To the OP, IMHO the battery is normal maintenance as well.

To me, so are wheel bearings by the 100k mile mark. It's done very well.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Yep, that's how it starts. My birthday 3 years ago wife asks what do you want to do today? Well, I don't know. She says "how about going to the Honda dealer?" What???

So, I got a new one even though I didn't need it. The 2006 only had 165k miles and ran fine. So, why did I get it? Because she said so! (and the dealer gave me deal I couldn't refuse) :wink2:
She who must be obeyed. And if that isn't enough........if mom-ma ain't happy nobody's happy. Nuff said :wink2:

Reactions: Arizona16
1 - 10 of 10 Posts