GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from work I got a flat tire. First time in nearly 40 years of riding I got a flat tire on the bike. It was bound to happened. As I struggled to get home and got within 2 miles of home when I could not put air in the tire, because the air pump at the gas station I stopped at was out of order.

I managed to coordinate with my son to get his trailer and trailer it home. I guess it's tire search.

Overall, I am fortunate and thankful to God to allow me to get home safely and not crash my dear possession.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
On the way home from work I got a flat tire. First time in nearly 40 years of riding I got a flat tire on the bike. It was bound to happened. As I struggled to get home and got within 2 miles of home when I could not put air in the tire, because the air pump at the gas station I stopped at was out of order.

I managed to coordinate with my son to get his trailer and trailer it home. I guess it's tire search.

Overall, I am fortunate and thankful to God to allow me to get home safely and not crash my dear possession.
I carry these 2 items. I have never had a flat but I was on a ride with a guy who did. His tire was repaired and we were up and running again in 15 minutes. That convinced me to carry these 2 items at all time.

https://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/
https://www.motopumps.com/shop/mini-pro-deluxe

By the way my buddy had his flat in the UP. He rode the repaired tire the rest of the ride and then back to Long Island NY. I am 50 miles north of you. If you want to get together for a ride sometime let me know via PM

·
Registered
200 Posts
Been riding my Wing for sixteen years and had three flats, all on the rear.
Twice I came out to the garage and found it flat after a day's riding. I was glad the tires waited until I got home to go flat..
But once just north of Redding it happened again. That's when I found out you couldn't put the side stand down due to the slope in the shoulder of the highway. I couldn't get off the bike. What now?
Anyways, we spotted an exit half a mile up and rode to it, found a pay phone and called our emergency road service and were back on the road within three hours.
What really worries me is the front tire going down.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have had 2 flats on the rear tire and plugged both of them on the goldwing and kept going. I only had one front tire go flat and that was on a shadow, that one was not fun. I was going 60 mph and just came out of a curve, it was a tank slapper.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The irony is, I just put an air pump on the bike and I had a repair kit, but never thought of it until I was getting the trailer to haul it home. No matter, she is back on the road after a new tire install.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had flat tires before, but for some reason I have been blessed to not have them happen to me while riding, I seem to have them when I got to leaving in the morning.

My father had a flat tire right in front of me. We were on a ride and on our way back and we got caught by a light. The light turned green and he took off ahead of me and as he was accelerating in front of me his front tire blew out. He started swerving back and forth in front of me and he low sided. My sister was on the back of my bike and started climbing off while I was braking hard to keep from running my father over as he rolled on the ground in front of my bike.

Scary as heck, fortunately, he only received minor road rash. I could have killed my sister for jumping off the bike while the bike was in motion and me trying to avoid running over our father.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) on motorcycles has been a life saver. I saw the pressure going down slowly on my last two leakers which gave me plenty of time to get off the road to a safe place and repair it. Both rear tires and one was nearly new with 150 miles on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got a weird triangular piece of aluminum in my rear tire and was losing several pounds a day. I was at 8,000 miles so I just replaced it.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
does anyone patch a tire anymore ?
or, just get a new tire ?

I will not run a worm in a tire except to get me off the main road, so to speak. After that I will pull the tire and put a worm/patch combo on the tire (patch from the inside) and go with it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I pulled the tire off, I can see the deck screw in it. I took the tire in and had a new E4 put on. So far, I've been happy with the E4s. Old tire had 18,000 miles on it and still had a good 3-5000 miles left. The odd thing was the inside valve stem broke, but the TPM was fine. Had to replace the Valve stem. Oh well, I am back on the road!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
21-24,000 miles on a rear tire? I would hope to get half that. Have never run an E4 but I usually got 10,000 miles out of a G704.

Anyway, on to flats. I got 3 flats a couple summers ago on my wings. Plugged them all using a Slime Tire Plug Kit kit purchased at Walmart and a Slime Compressor . I rode one another several thousand miles until the tire needed replacing. The other 2 were more then 1/2 worn so I just had new tires installed. Purchased more rope plugs and glue for my kit.

I need to buy another kit and compressor because I ride multiple bikes and forget to move it from bike to bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts