GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, newbie here. I have been lurking here for a few weeks...waiting to join you folks with Goldwings. Today is the day! (sorta). I've been studying this site (which I really like, by the way), the GWRRA site, and E-bay looking for something that caught my eye. Well,this afternoon I purchased a 5,000 mile Bright Red '04 ABS model with C.B., spoiler & driving lights from a dealership about 75 miles east of here (Bucyrus, Ohio). Wasn't too sure about the color until I actually saw it. WOW. I have to wait until Monday night to go pick it up as the battery was dead, and me being a last minute shopper apparently didn't leave them enough time to charge/replace it. :cry: I'll get to bring it home just in time to store it for winter!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congrats John. Welcome to the ranks. You'll find this is a great site ran by great folks. Wealth of information here. Enjoy! :D

400th post!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
First, Welcome!

A fully discharged battery MIGHT recover, but there are no guarantees. I recommend you get a 'Battery Tender Plus', or similar device to keep on your battery during down-time. Also, a regular 'Battery Tender' would suffice also, but the Wing definitely needs something to maintain the battery because things like the receiver for the remote, and radio presets, for example, are always on, unlike many other bikes.

Best Wishes to you and Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Welcome, A word of caution! Test ride it before you ink the deal!!!

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Welcome John and congrats on the new ride. Hope you have a little warm weather to ride it a little before winter sets in. Congrats too OSU just won.
Wow, whatta game.

·
Registered
272 Posts
John congrats, next week it's supose to be 60+ for a couple days here in Indy. Should be nice for a ride Thurs. and Fri.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all. I was really happy with the condition of the bike. Even looking under the cases - I'm guessing the bike has never been wet. No staining/oxidation anywhere. Warranty is good through March '08. I'm 44 presently just got my endorsement in May of this year. I used to race motocross & hare scrambles competitively into my early 20's, but never threw a leg over a streetbike until this year...I'm hooked. I told my wife if I had no responsibilities and a pocket full of cash I may never come home :p . She had back surgery in her early 30's, and I figure the only way I can get her to spend any time with me on a bike is for it to be comfortable. Also pretty happy with the purchase price. It was advertised for "$13,989", and there is an identical one currently on E-bay (minus the C.B. & driving lights) with almost 3,000 more miles that is close to $13,500 with 6 days left. I'll probably keep the GPZ around for a while in the spring before deciding what to do with it, as I live 7 miles from my business and don't know how cumbersome the Goldwing will be for daily short hops. I really like the GPZ, but my butt can't take alot of distance riding on that seat! Take Care!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
the geepeezee........

Ya may wanna park that bad boy next to that Wing for a while? I have the FJR sittin' there close just in case a dose of youthful enthusiasm overcomes mature adult mental growth (GAG) oops, scuse me. :lol: Ya can never have to many motosickles. That GPZ probably ain't costin' ya much to have it sitting there gently calling your name when you walk by it?

Have fun with the new wing.

Denny

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
First off Congrats on the new ride. You will find the wing great on short rides also. A '04 with only 5000 miles on it, this is probably not the first time the battery has been dead. Why don't you nicely ask the dealer to throw in a new battery so you won't have future problems. If you are storing it I agrree with Boots no Saddle put a float charger on it to keep it charged. Hopefully you will get in some riding time to enjoy it.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Welcome to the board, you'll pick up a wealth of information here.

I also had a Flare Red 04 Wing, I'm not a red person, but it was one hot color, I called it my Chile Pepper......got a lot of complements on it....but..I'm a Blue guy..

Enjoy the ride, keep momma happy.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts