GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this morning we reset all our clocks one hour back.........We changed the batteries in our smoke detectors......Now that this is all taken care of. Now its off to the store to get Halloween candy for all the children. (did you notice all the CHRISTMAS stuff in the stores already :(.... )
So now comes the motorcycle related part.. In your part of this world when does (P.M.S) PARKED MOTORCYCLE Syndrome kick in ?
I am hoping for a mild winter here in New Jersey so there will be no need for P.M.S .

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
PMS

First off it is not "Parked Motorcycle Syndome" as you put it, but "Parked Motorcycle Syndrome" :lol:

I live in New Jersey as well and have ridden as cold as 5 degrees for a "Polar Bear" run to maintain my "perfect attendance" status. Yeah, I know. That's when I was young and stupid. I no longer belong to the "Polar Bear Club", so I'm no longer subjected to those freezing rides.

As long as the streets are dry, I take one of my bikes out with no problems, but if it snows, I wait until the first rainfall to be sure all the salt is washed off the roadway to prevent my bikes from collecting that awful white haze on their surfaces. (Corrosion to the max)

I'm with you in hoping for a mild winter, and if the weather forecasters are correct about the "El Nino" effect, we should have a milder than usual winter.

Keep you fingers crossed, and ride safely.

Mike

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Only when the darn fog sets in around here. Gets thick enough that you can only see 2 of those white lines dividing the road in front of you. No snow here in the valley where I live, but it can get a little cool. Thats not so bad but that wet fog we have is plain miserable.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It's been my experience here in IL, that there is at least ONE day each month that I can ride, so it doesn't get put away at all. Roads have to be dry, and I don't ride below freezing.

·
Love The DCT
12,183 Posts
PMS has kicked in. Winterized it yesterday. Over Halloween, we are supposed to have rain/snow/ice mix so the salt and pepper shakers will be out. This Oct has been wet and cold. Not much of an Indian Summer.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Like Lucky Phil, most of here in mid-Missouri expect (hope) for a day or two each month that we can get a short ride in.

For me, same rules, good weather, dry roads, and too darn cold! I'm over my "stupid" period when we used to ride off-road every weekend regardless the weather.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Along the Front Range in Colorado I can ride at least a few times each month year round. The trick comes in having the nice riding days coincide with days I do not have to work. No salt on the roads here, to speak of, so not as much of a concern, but there is some sand in the corners (I found some on yesterday's ride, Yikes). I will ride if the temp is below freezing, but not when there is ice around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here in South Carolina , with the proper apparell, it's always riding season.I ride any chance from18 deg. to 118 deg. . 8)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
HAven't worked since Sept 13, don't wear a watch any more.
Retirement is tough! Do the laundry, ride th Wing, play Golf, wash dishes, ride the Wing, play Golf, cut grass, ride the Wing, play Golf, ride the Wing!
Don't know how much more I can take!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
:D Up here in Wyoming, its much the same as others have said. I can usually get a day or two a month where I can unplug the battery tender and get a couple of miles on. They dont use salt much here, but you do run into the sandy corners through the winter. Not uncommon to have a snowy day and a riding day in the same week. My biggest problem is getting off work to go ride. I dont ride below freezing because of the ice around here and I generally stay pretty close to town. Yall ride safe, think of those of use in the colder parts of the world when you are on weekend runs that are a couple of hundred miles long. :D

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
November will b my 68th month of consecutive riding, i don't go out in the winter if it looks like snow or rain but i have been fooled a couple times and got caught in some serious crap on the way home a few times

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
PMS ???? here is todays forecast according to Intellicast:

Sunday
10/29/2006 Sunrise: 6:14 am UV Index: 6, High Sunset: 5:19 pm
Moonrise: 1:00 pm Phase: Moonset: 11:36 pm
High Low Sunday:
Sunny. High 78F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday night:
Mainly clear. Low 57F. Winds light and variable.
78°F 57°F
26°C 14

Gosh ... think if I try I can burn at least 2 tanks of fuel today...

cosmic

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really do feel sorry for those of you living in the snowy areas of the country, but for those of us that don't, this is the best riding time of the year. I am on vacation the next two weeks and will be riding as long as we don't have rain. I will do a few things arond the house and get a little quality riding in also. Good luck to all. I'm hoping no one gets cabin fever during this PMS season. Hap

1 - 16 of 16 Posts