GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got my bike not long ago. Here is a list of all the accessories/parts I installed on it. Only wanted to take it apart once (for now). I did probably over 90% of this last week while I was on vacation. At least, everything that involved having to remove plastic. It was quite a task! Boy, was it a task! I don't think I want to take the fairings off again! My bike is blue and I had no blue skins left on it , except for the saddlebags. Of course there were also black plastic parts that were time consuming to remove/install like the deflector/shrouds around the radiator. It's not hard , just time consuming. But , it was my first time on this bike. I did this with the help of fred's videos. Thanks Fred! I think I could do it a lot faster now, but I did take my time and everything came out great! I'm pretty ocd about routing wires and all that. Here are the parts:

Pathfinder fog lights, XM Kit, Honda uppers (already had the lowers), trunk sub-harness, passenger armrests, trunk inner led, front/ rear show chrome speakers (very noticeable difference), goldstrike rear fender strips, 12v acc. socket, LED entry lights(very nice), Honda chrome trunk rack/led brake light (with running light add on from electrical connection), speed bleeders, goldstrike floorboards, goldstrike highway pegs, goldstrike brake pedal cover, traxxion belly pan, homelink, honda mats and bags for saddlebags/trunk. Whew!

Previous owner had the goldstrike led trunk light and front lights (just under head lights) wired to a show chrome accessory block and they looked great, but I removed them cause I wanted the Honda chrome rack with led ( it is just made for this bike and looks awesome, and you cant have both. I guess you could, but It would look stupid. I also changed the air filter, changed my rear drive fluid, coolant, and cleaned the bike very well (the whole thing, even when it was apart)!

I also did a first time ever for myself ceramic coating application. This was also time consuming, but not hard. It was all prep. the bike's paint was in very good condition to start with, so i just did a 1 step polish to remove swirls/minor defects. I washed it VERY thoroughly with s100 , went over panels again while they were off with a waterless wash to get anything I missed, clay barred, machine polished with a griots g8 machine and perfecting cream(great combo for the bike), used surface prep for pre application of ceramic coat , then applied coating. All I can say is WOW! This stuff is awesome and well worth the prep time. Now its like having another clear coat on it. It shines like diamond, water hates it, and it is very durable and they say they last for years.

I have attached some pics. I'm going to get my first ride on it today after all this. I still have to throw the highway pegs and belly pan on, but Im waiting to change the oil and do my valve clearance inspection in the upcoming days. I also just ordered a new set of tires and a battery so I'm set for a while with this bike!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
@cc rider Great job, nothing like making the GW your own, Rides n Smiles as the miles go by!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,634 Posts
So i just got my bike not long ago. Here is a list of all the accessories/parts I installed on it. Only wanted to take it apart once (for now). I did probably over 90% of this last week while I was on vacation. At least, everything that involved having to remove plastic. It was quite a task! Boy, was it a task! I don't think I want to take the fairings off again! My bike is blue and I had no blue skins left on it , except for the saddlebags. Of course there were also black plastic parts that were time consuming to remove/install like the deflector/shrouds around the radiator. It's not hard , just time consuming. But , it was my first time on this bike. I did this with the help of fred's videos. Thanks Fred! I think I could do it a lot faster now, but I did take my time and everything came out great! I'm pretty ocd about routing wires and all that. Here are the parts:

Pathfinder fog lights, XM Kit, Honda uppers (already had the lowers), trunk sub-harness, passenger armrests, trunk inner led, front/ rear show chrome speakers (very noticeable difference), goldstrike rear fender strips, 12v acc. socket, LED entry lights(very nice), Honda chrome trunk rack/led brake light (with running light add on from electrical connection), speed bleeders, goldstrike floorboards, goldstrike highway pegs, goldstrike brake pedal cover, traxxion belly pan, homelink, honda mats and bags for saddlebags/trunk. Whew!

Previous owner had the goldstrike led trunk light and front lights (just under head lights) wired to a show chrome accessory block and they looked great, but I removed them cause I wanted the Honda chrome rack with led ( it is just made for this bike and looks awesome, and you cant have both. I guess you could, but It would look stupid. I also changed the air filter, changed my rear drive fluid, coolant, and cleaned the bike very well (the whole thing, even when it was apart)!

I also did a first time ever for myself ceramic coating application. This was also time consuming, but not hard. It was all prep. the bike's paint was in very good condition to start with, so i just did a 1 step polish to remove swirls/minor defects. I washed it VERY thoroughly with s100 , went over panels again while they were off with a waterless wash to get anything I missed, clay barred, machine polished with a griots g8 machine and perfecting cream(great combo for the bike), used surface prep for pre application of ceramic coat , then applied coating. All I can say is WOW! This stuff is awesome and well worth the prep time. Now its like having another clear coat on it. It shines like diamond, water hates it, and it is very durable and they say they last for years.

I have attached some pics. I'm going to get my first ride on it today after all this. I still have to throw the highway pegs and belly pan on, but Im waiting to change the oil and do my valve clearance inspection in the upcoming days. I also just ordered a new set of tires and a battery so I'm set for a while with this bike!
When you removed the Goldstrike trunk light..what did you do about the hole in the trunk lid that the wiring for the trunk light went thru ?

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
NIce job, I would have love to be there with you to" help" you take your bike apart, (not only would two heads be better than one {sometimes} BUT the learning process would be nice also..........

Ronnie

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you removed the Goldstrike trunk light..what did you do about the hole in the trunk lid that the wiring for the trunk light went thru ?
No hole that I remember. Only factory holes there. Are you talking about the inner trunk lid or the trunk lid itself? Maybe you are thinking of a different light? this was the tour blade (curved ) , went right up against the back of the passenger seat. The wire was flat so it was made to go under the trim. I cut all the holes in the trunk itself (5 of them, 4 for the posts on the rack and 1 for the wire from the brake light). I know I had to heat up the light bar with a heat gun to get all the adhesive off and VERY slowly remove the light bar.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,634 Posts
No hole that I remember. Only factory holes there. Are you talking about the inner trunk lid or the trunk lid itself? Maybe you are thinking of a different light? this was the tour blade (curved ) , went right up against the back of the passenger seat. The wire was flat so it was made to go under the trim. I cut all the holes in the trunk itself (5 of them, 4 for the posts on the rack and 1 for the wire from the brake light). I know I had to heat up the light bar with a heat gun to get all the adhesive off and VERY slowly remove the light bar.
Yea I was thinking of the Goldstrike trunk light..for that you have to drill a hole in the trunk lid for the wiring to pass thru.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
808 Posts
Congrats on making you bike your own! Disassembly and reassembly gets easier and faster with practice.

These are my opinions. Each item may or may not apply to each individual and each individual will put them in a different order. * = currently installed

Top 2 Gotta Haves
These are things I think every 2018+ Wing needs to install

Parking Brake Interlock* – Electrical Connection
Steering Tie Rod* – Traxxion

Top 3 Should Haves
These are the things that I think make life much easier when you need or use them

Front tie downs* - Goldstrike, Kury
Dip Stick Extender* – Traxxion
Brake Bleeders* – Speed Bleeders

Top 5 Nice to Haves
These personalize the bike to you ergonomically or provide protection to the bike (thus saving you $$ in the long run).

Wind Deflectors – OEM*, Show Chrome, Kury, Baker, ect
Windshield upgrade – F4*, V-Stream, Klock Werks, Slipstreamer,
Seat Upgrade – Russell Day Long*, Corbin, Mustang, Ultimate, Saddleman, ect
Highway Pegs – Rivco*, Goldstrike, Kury, Show Chrome, ect
Handle Bars - Heli
Paint Protection (film*, ceramic*, etc) – Xpel*, Tank Slapper, etc

Honorable (mostly) Mentions
Customize and make your bike uniquely your own (or don’t).

Lights and Isolator aka Farkles
Fog Lights – OEM, Pathfinder, Electrical Connections*
Isolator – Pathfinder*, Electrical Connections, Show Chrome,
Lights (front, side, rear) - Electrical Connections, Pathfinder*, Show Chrome, Goldstrike, Kury*, ect
Lights Turn signals – Add On*, Muth*
Light Modulators/Flashers – Kisan
Cooling for Center Pocket aka Cubby aka Glove Box – Electrical Connection and Traxxion*
Storage Expansion
Trunk Rack – OEM*, Goldstrike, Show Chrome, Kury
Trunk & Saddlebag Lid Expansion - Corbin
Trailer Hitch Luggage Rack - Pakit Rak, C-Way
Trailer Hitch – Rivco*, Bushtec, Custom Touring Design, Show Chrome, Kury, ect
Rear Fender Filler Strips – Goldstrike*, Electrical Connection,
Engine Valve Covers – Show Chrome*, Electrical Connection
Side/Kick stand pad – Traxxion*, Rivco, Show Chrome, etc
Phone holder – Goldstrike, Ram, etc
Drink holder – Goldstrike, etc
Other Nav System (sometimes called GPS) - Garmin, Tom Tom, etc
CB – OEM* or Midland CB & Sena SR-10 & J&M Bluehub
2nd USB Cable – OEM accessory saddlebag or OEM airbag model trunk cable*
Radar Detector – lots of options
Flag pole and flag – Goldstrike*, Show Chrome, Kury, ect
Steering Safety Pin – Traxxion*
Belly Pan/Skid Plate – Traxxion, Wing Stuff
Continuous Tire balancing – Centramics*, Dyna Beads
Suspension Upgrade - Traxxion, Wilbers,
Camera Mount - @Yoda from gl1800riders*, Ram, GoPro, etc
Crash Cam System -Innovv, Thinkware, Viofo, etc
Dual XM Antenna
Trailer (if you must) – Bushtech, Unigo, California Side Car, Lumina, Tag-Along, etc
Darksiding (if you must)

Headsets, phones, and luggage are wholly different things that don't become part of the bike even though they may attach to the bike.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This was the light bar in the pic. It was actually really nice along with the front lights. But, obviously it can't stay with the honda one installed and I had to have the trunk rack. BTW, I forgot to add centramatic balancers to the list above along with the goldstrike tie down mounts, helibars, kickstand pad from wingstuff, and dipstick extender. A few of those were already installed by the previous owner, oh yeah and the seat bolts from traxxion. Ordered the centramatic with my new tire set. Only read good things about them. I also plan on adding one more thing to the list, a f4 windshield cause of the clarity and scratch resistance. I'm going to be trying to mount my own tires from now on and it is nice to omit the balancing step :) It's not the price of the mounting from a shop. It's the convenience too. Taking them in , dealing with the "shortage cause of covid" garbage, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nice bike and a great job on the installations!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx for all the compliments. I like working on the bike and learning about what's in it and the design. Crazy electronics these days. i don't like removing 800 clips though. I have come to the conclusion that honda/other manufacturers do it intentionally to make you bring it in.
I had a cbr 900rr in 96 and 99 that had 1 screw if I remember correctly for the side cowl. Then it had 2 or 3 of those studs that go in the rubber grommet. Or maybe that was the tail cover. IDK. I just know it was effortless and done in a snap. To install , you just screw in the fastener 5 seconds, snap one stud into grommet, snap other stud , done! Those were the days!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got so tired after reading about all that work, I had to take a break!!

Nice job!!
It was the best way to do it. All at once. Imagine buying all that stuff seperately and installing ! I'm glad I got this bike . Now when I go down to florida next month , I will have the right setup for it :) 1000 mile trip!

·
Registered
778 Posts
It was the best way to do it. All at once. Imagine buying all that stuff seperately and installing ! I'm glad I got this bike . Now when I go down to florida next month , I will have the right setup for it :) 1000 mile trip!
If you're coming to Florida next month you may want to take it back apart and put an A/C unit on it. Just sayin...

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
664 Posts

Did I see Biden's banner on the wall? Or my vision is off by now. Anyhow, nice job. That is a lot of skin off. I can't get over the mechanism for the windscreen. Boy, thank God for the Honda warranty. I refused to mount the XM after seeing the location on the web. After using Amazon Prime Music for so long, I gave up on XM. Happy and safe time on this machine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts