GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were going back to ohio from rockies gold today and developed a shake at low speed near kansas city. Got through the heavy traffic and stopped at a gas station to check it out and found a small lump on side of rear tire tread. Called a few honda dealers and only one was open near st. Louis and they don't do tires on sundays.
We decided to try and make it there and get a motel.
So we got back on the slab and went slowly east… stopping twice to check the tire, and the buldge was larger each time.
We went to a sears along the way that said they would mount a c/t on my wheel if I took it off. We unloaded everything and borrowed tools from a tech when the boss found out and told the service writer to tell me they would not do it now. So we loaded back up and headed east again.
By the time we made it to warrenton the shaking was getting a lot worse when we got off 70 on the ramp. I saw a walmart next to the exit and rode to it. The service guy was really helpful and said he would do it,but did not have a 195/55/16. So i got on this forum to see what would fit. He had a 205/55/16 General evertrek, so we laid it over in the parking lot and borrowed a socket and breaker bar and they mounted the tire.
So far we have made it 120 miles on the slab and it feels prettty normal. It does feel a little weird in slow turns but I hope I can get used to it. I put 37 psi in it.
This is the 3rd bridgestone g704 that has done this to me but never this far from home. They always have a lot of tread left on them when it happens. This one had 8k miles on it.
Thanks to you darksiders for all the info.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Well, that's one way to go "Dark".

Good ole Wallyworld.:yes1:

I suggest you take that one off and use it as a spare. Then, get yourself a RF CT in the optimum size, 195-55.

Did you check the tire and air pressure that day?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats:Welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the air in the bridgestone and it wasn't losing any.
I upped the pressure in the general to 41 psi and it felt better, I actually forgot I had a car tire by the time I got home, 400 miles today.
Is anyone running that general evertrek on here?

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Well 440, does congrats and welcome to the darkside are in order? Along with you number?

:congrats:
And cookies :congrats: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Rick, glad you got fixed up. You should have pulled my card and given me a call. I am only 18 miles north of Columbia.

As you saw at RG, a CT is plenty capable of going pretty quickly in the twisties!!

It was great riding with you two in Colorado and glad you got home safely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about that but I only got 2 of Don's cards when i checked. I didn't know where you guys were either. I thought you lived up by the iowa border.
We tried to get a falken at sears in columbia I think, but they wouldn't put it on.
Thanks for showing us around colarado.
What air pressure do you run in that falken?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I thought about that but I only got 2 of Don's cards when i checked. I didn't know where you guys were either. I thought you lived up by the iowa border.
We tried to get a falken at sears in columbia I think, but they wouldn't put it on.
Thanks for showing us around colarado.
What air pressure do you run in that falken?
If you look up jpinpa he's been running 44 psi on falken if not mistaken I think travelite ran a falken also with 44 psi. I'm still trying to burn off my kuhmo it has little over 8000 miles and still looks new bunch of great guys on this board with alot of knowledge about car tire and some.

·
DSI Keeper
9,170 Posts
This thread got me thinking. Since the OP has such trouble getting a tire and getting it mounted, perhaps we need some sort of network to help out fellow darksiders (lightsiders if they accept our help). I think I will keep tire about half wore out and if a rider passes thru my part of the country, a simple swap out is all that is needed. If others keep at least a half worn tire to help someone make it on home, that would be great. Thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like a great idea from someone who went through this yesterday. I have a tire changer but it will take a while to come up with a half worn out tire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside, it is the better side to be on.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
This thread got me thinking. Since the OP has such trouble getting a tire and getting it mounted, perhaps we need some sort of network to help out fellow darksiders (lightsiders if they accept our help). I think I will keep tire about half wore out and if a rider passes thru my part of the country, a simple swap out is all that is needed. If others keep at least a half worn tire to help someone make it on home, that would be great. Thoughts?
I'm in If anyone near mass area need help no problem Just call I'm be there my cell is always on.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Half worn tires are another one of my specialties ;) maybe a who can help list on your Darkside page . Put me down !! Really do not want home phone published though. Email & cell number cool !

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I have several worn tires, MT and CT available here in Southern Wisconsin.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Bartman has a riders list set up already. Sign up & carry it with you.
He's constantly updating it, shoot his a PM. We need more members like him, less of the post whores and trolls.
http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.html

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

:agree: Great Idea Murgie!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts