GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends are Going to Yellowstone after strugus in August wondering were is a great place to stay .
Thanks Tony

·
Registered
457 Posts
Your best bet would be to start checking in all the town around the park. Finding something close will be hard. People make reservations a year in advance at the places in the park as well as just outside. You might get lucky and snag something where the people had to cancel . The further away you go, the better luck you will have at this short notice. Sorry to be a downer. I hope you get lucky, it is a wonderful place. West Yellowstone had a bunch of places.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ive stayed in West Yellowstone, MT and also in Cody. West Yellowstone is obviously the best location for easy entry to the park but I would guess you might have a problem finding lodging on short notice. Cody is 50 miles from the east entrance on us 20/14/16 or about 75 mile ride if you choose State 120 and then Chief Joseph Scenic Byway to Cooke City and the northeast entrance. If you've never ridden CJSB I highly recommend it. Also if time is available take a run up Beartooth to Red Lodge, MT and back. If it were me (and it was 2 weeks ago) I would start looking for reservations right away. The park and nearby lodging options will be booked several months in advance. Have a good time in the park. Its one of my favorite destinations.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you can't find a hotel there are some large campgrounds with lots of amenities just west of West Yellowstone. I stayed at one and it was all grass camping with showers and a small store.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Your best bet would be to start checking in all the town around the park. Finding something close will be hard. People make reservations a year in advance at the places in the park as well as just outside. You might get lucky and snag something where the people had to cancel . The further away you go, the better luck you will have at this short notice. Sorry to be a downer. I hope you get lucky, it is a wonderful place. West Yellowstone had a bunch of places.
:agree: However, if you find yourself in Idaho Falls, I highly recommend the the Red Lion Inn on the Falls, anything above the 5th or 6th floor. I'll almost guarantee you'll get some brownie points with the SO

·
Registered
421 Posts
West Yellowstone KOA

Wife and I stayed there last year and loved it. 6 miles from west entrance. Food on site. Has camping cabins if tents aren't your forte. WiFi. Store. Pool. Clean and quiet.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Some friends are Going to Yellowstone after strugus in August wondering were is a great place to stay .
Thanks Tony
Well Tony,
You don't say whether your friends are in a motor home towing a bike, dry camping with a bike-towing a trailer, hoteling it, what? Yellowstone is one fabulous place to see, without a doubt. In all practical reality, no one can see it in just one day. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to see all of what it has to offer in two. In all of that park, there's many dry campgrounds and only one or possibly two that have what's called "full hookups" for RVs. One is called Fishing Bridge and, it's one of those types that sardine you in, tail to tail and very little room in between camp spots.

We have stayed in Yellowstone several times. We don't need full hookups. In fact, most RVs don't but, people choose to camp the way they like. Good advice for someone that's maybe new to Yellowstone would be to find a campground in one end, either say the West, North or South, and take a full day to visit all of what's offered, in that section of the park. There are many, many trails with tons of things to see in all of them. Many of the trails are not hard. It's just that it takes time to stop and see all the inspiring fishers, caldrons, mini-guysers and a whole lot more.

Then, move your camping to another end and, visit all of what's to see in that section of the park. The is so big and, the speed limit is a mere 35 mph for about 100% of it and, there's ALWAYS quite a few people always in the park so, that can sometimes, make for lots of traffic. Especially if you're in the Buffalo range areas. If you encounter one or more of them on or, along the roadway, count on a traffic jamb for quite a while.

This is all pre-supposing that your friends are "camping" and not hoteling it. If they're hoteling it, well then much of what I just described in terms of seeing one section at a time or, per day is almost out the door. Yellowstone is a magnificent place. We're heading back there as soon as possible. It's really great on a motorcycle 'cause you have so much more maneuverability.
Scott

·
Registered
906 Posts
Like the others said, it may be hard to find a place to stay. The wife and I stayed in West Yellostone at the BW just down the road from Bullwinkle's. We ate there and liked their ribs.

The bad thing about staying in West Yellowstone is that when you travel to the park, the sun is very low on the horizon and directly in your eyes. You got to be real careful in the am.

Oh, and one other thing. If you have a flat tire and can't repair it yourself and can't take the wheel off to have it repaired. The closest motorcycle shop is like 50 miles away. Don't ask me how I know. 😊😊😊

Joe in Redding

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Like the others said, it may be hard to find a place to stay. The wife and I stayed in West Yellostone at the BW just down the road from Bullwinkle's. We ate there and liked their ribs.

The bad thing about staying in West Yellowstone is that when you travel to the park, the sun is very low on the horizon and directly in your eyes. You got to be real careful in the am.

Oh, and one other thing. If you have a flat tire and can't repair it yourself and can't take the wheel off to have it repaired. The closest motorcycle shop is like 50 miles away. Don't ask me how I know. 

Joe in Redding
Aw, come on!!! How do you know?!?!?😃😃😃😃😃

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Well Tony,
You don't say whether your friends are in a motor home towing a bike, dry camping with a bike-towing a trailer, hoteling it, what? Yellowstone is one fabulous place to see, without a doubt. In all practical reality, no one can see it in just one day. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to see all of what it has to offer in two. In all of that park, there's many dry campgrounds and only one or possibly two that have what's called "full hookups" for RVs. One is called Fishing Bridge and, it's one of those types that sardine you in, tail to tail and very little room in between camp spots.

We have stayed in Yellowstone several times. We don't need full hookups. In fact, most RVs don't but, people choose to camp the way they like. Good advice for someone that's maybe new to Yellowstone would be to find a campground in one end, either say the West, North or South, and take a full day to visit all of what's offered, in that section of the park. There are many, many trails with tons of things to see in all of them. Many of the trails are not hard. It's just that it takes time to stop and see all the inspiring fishers, caldrons, mini-guysers and a whole lot more.

Then, move your camping to another end and, visit all of what's to see in that section of the park. The is so big and, the speed limit is a mere 35 mph for about 100% of it and, there's ALWAYS quite a few people always in the park so, that can sometimes, make for lots of traffic. Especially if you're in the Buffalo range areas. If you encounter one or more of them on or, along the roadway, count on a traffic jamb for quite a while.

This is all pre-supposing that your friends are "camping" and not hoteling it. If they're hoteling it, well then much of what I just described in terms of seeing one section at a time or, per day is almost out the door. Yellowstone is a magnificent place. We're heading back there as soon as possible. It's really great on a motorcycle 'cause you have so much more maneuverability.
Scott
Scott, this is very good information because you've done it the way I'm about to do it, as I am heading for Yellowstone very soon in a class A RV. I'm taking my wife and her sister, and they will not be happy without full hookups. Reading a few RV forums reinforced the idea that it is a HUGE park with slow traffic, too many people, and that one should allow a lot of time to see it. I then read all the Yellowstone Park information about what to see and do. The preferred Fishing Bridge campground is booked up for full hookups for a 40' RV. The end result it that I reserved a site at the West Yellowstone KOA for 7 nights. I plan to park the MH and then use the toad for day trips to try to see everything the park and the nearby Grand Tetons have to offer.

You state "In all practical reality, no one can see it in just one day. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to see all of what it has to offer in two." I'm wondering if maybe I've allowed too much time. I'm hoping that by August 17 when my reservation starts that perhaps the crowds will have thinned a little.

You've already been there, done that in a motorhome. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Glen

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
In order of closest from a riding/sightseeing standpoint, but it depends on your routing into and of the park. I've stayed in all these places and they are all good; West Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cody, Jackson, Red Lodge. I think staying in different places day before and day after is best, ie, ride through a couple of times as opposed to in and out to the same town.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The campgrounds inside Yellowstone park are quite nice and reasonably priced. My wife and I along with another couple had no problem getting camp sites in July without any reservations. We were pulling pop-up campers. The only problem was that the Park Rangers confiscated our coolers. We knew they weren't allowed to be left outside, but they can't be left inside tents either because they attract bears. We had to go to the Ranger Station to reclaim them and then listen to a 10 minute lecture from an attractive female Ranger. It wasn't so bad... ;)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
We stay at Cody, Wy. , place called the Cowboy Village, nice place.
Then ride to Yellowstone, up Beartooth pass, Cooke City, Red Lodge then back down the CJH to Cody.
Love that ride and thinking about going again in mid august.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
The campgrounds inside Yellowstone park are quite nice and reasonably priced. My wife and I along with another couple had no problem getting camp sites in July without any reservations. We were pulling pop-up campers. The only problem was that the Park Rangers confiscated our coolers. We knew they weren't allowed to be left outside, but they can't be left inside tents either because they attract bears. We had to go to the Ranger Station to reclaim them and then listen to a 10 minute lecture from an attractive female Ranger. It wasn't so bad... ;)
Can you sign up for the lecture without a campsite?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Scott, this is very good information because you've done it the way I'm about to do it, as I am heading for Yellowstone very soon in a class A RV. I'm taking my wife and her sister, and they will not be happy without full hookups. Reading a few RV forums reinforced the idea that it is a HUGE park with slow traffic, too many people, and that one should allow a lot of time to see it. I then read all the Yellowstone Park information about what to see and do. The preferred Fishing Bridge campground is booked up for full hookups for a 40' RV. The end result it that I reserved a site at the West Yellowstone KOA for 7 nights. I plan to park the MH and then use the toad for day trips to try to see everything the park and the nearby Grand Tetons have to offer.

You state "In all practical reality, no one can see it in just one day. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to see all of what it has to offer in two." I'm wondering if maybe I've allowed too much time. I'm hoping that by August 17 when my reservation starts that perhaps the crowds will have thinned a little.

You've already been there, done that in a motorhome. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Glen
7 Nights meaning 6 full days is not "too much" time. But you might have extra to go back and see things a second time. Wife and I divided Yellowstone into 4 sections and spend 1 day in each section. Then in the 5th day we went back and saw things that we wanted to see again. This is a non hurry pace, and lets you stop and see all the things not just the highlights. We walked some trails ( boardwalks ) and easy loops at a casual pace. And we saw geysers that are not quite as punctual as Old Faithful as we have time to wait them out. The non hurry pace also allowed for heading to evening wildlife viewing spots too see of we could see wolf pack, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just came back from a 4 day ride in the Cody area the last week of June. Spent one day in Yellowstone and it was great. It was only enough time to get an overview. Six days would be great to see everything and really enjoy the park. We stayed at the Sunrise Motel in Cody. Others in our group stayed at the Cowboy Village and some at the Ponderosa Campground. I did not hear any complaints about any of these places. Sunrise was a nice place. Clean and comfortable although a little dated. Also road the Beartooth and Chief Joseph. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Koa

Glen
You didn't make a mistake with your West Yellowstone choice. It is a nice place with friendly hosts. Make sure you have an elk burger at the on site cafe. They also offer breakfast if you don't feel like cooking. The town of West Yellowstone is a nice little town. It can take days to adequately see the park. Very slow traffic animal watching, two lanes, wide open spaces, and crowded parking lots sometimes tests your patience.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Some great suggestions here. I was going to suggest, since you're from Florida, at least check for a last minute spot at Old Faithful. Very cool iconic inn that is popular with visitors from all over the world. You'll meet some interesting folks. Motels in W. Yellowstone are fine, but they're just motels. But, if you're in a group, getting enough rooms may be a problem. Whatever you decide get on it early...both Glacier and Yellowstone reported all time record visits in June. Rode from Coeur d'Alene, ID to Red Lodge, Mont. yesterday and the roads are busier than ever....bikes, cars, campers..it's nuts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts