GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week the mountains of West Virgina are wearing some pretty nice colors. Today and tomorrow we will be in the mid 70's with lots of sunshine. The problem is the weather is supposed to turn nasty after tomorrow, Tuesday. 10 day forecast is looking pretty bleak after tomoorow. Possibility of some snow activity this weekend although they change the forecast everytime you look at it.

On another note concerning West Virginia, I believe we have the distinction of being number one again. Although Pennsyvania and Kentucky are always close. What am I talking about? 4 wheeler ATV deaths. We reached 49 for the year over the weekend when a North Carolina man had his machine flip over on top of him while climbing a steep hill. Not a record we wish to have. :cry:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
WV Wingman,
i have a good friend who has a 40 acre farm outside Elkins,WV.. Had his 4 wheeler flip over on him as he was hauling a trailer load of firewood back to his house. Happened going up a hill with snow on the ground.
Darn near crushed his chest,but he survived & is O.K. now.
Rode today across Skyline Dr. down to Front Royal,Va..
Near perfect day & you're right we're just now starting to get some color.
I've got my eye on the weather & hoping to get over that way for Bridge Day. Always a good time. 8)
Ride Red,
the hobo

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Hey Pard!

I was at Pipestem last Thursday through Sunday. The colors were just beginning to really flare out; peak will be soon. Danged rain and fog were tough and pretty cold Friday!

prs

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What colors??? :? I rode from Winchester out route 50 this morning. By the time I left the sun was shining and burning off the fog. However, the further west I went the worse the fog. I crossed a couple mountain ranges and before I reached Romney, WV the fog was in control and the temp had dropped. I stopped at Junction and put my chaps on because I was getting cold. Could not see a darn thing as far as the leaves were concerned.

I was planning to go Blackwater Falls but changed my mind and turned south on rte 28 toward Moorefield. Stopped for lunch there, and by the time I was back on the bike the sun was shining, the fog disipating, and it was beginning to warm up.

Decided to forget going to BFalls and headed back east on 55. That 15 mile stretch across the mountains is a spectacular ride, four lane, no traffic, never seen a smokey, just a really nice place to ride. Turned south on 259 at Baker and headed for Lost City. Cut across toward Trout Pond, then to Perry and up over Wolf Gap and down into Columbia Furnace, VA. Took 42 to Woodstock and then I-81 N to Stephens City.

It ended up being a nice ride of about 180 miles and I eventually got to see some color in the leaves. Friday is looking good for riding and the leaves may be very near peak, at least in the higher elevations. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the forecast holds for the latter part of the week. :roll: Ride safely always.

Todd

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Me and a friend are planning a ride up there next week. Can you guys give us some roads that we dont need to miss?

THANKS LOWELL

·
Registered
600 Posts
HOBO, I'am tring to get some people together from the northern panhandle to go to bridge day. Maybe Ill run into you.

Wimpyhonda, Where in WV are you heading.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Wimpyhonda, Where in WV are you heading.[/quote]

We dont know anywhere that has pretty places to ride.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
wimpyhonda said:
Me and a friend are planning a ride up there next week. Can you guys give us some roads that we dont need to miss?

THANKS LOWELL
Lowell, I am not familiar with the southern part of the state. Try to get a map of WV and look at the following roads, most of which are in the eastern part.

North - South

219, 220, 28, 92,

East - West

33, 55, 250, 50,

There are other, too many to mention, numerous, less traveled roads that are also great for riding, . However, I will mention one in particular in case you travel far enough north to access it. The road is called "Smoke Hole Rd" (CR 28-11 as I best recall). The route connects 28 and 220. It is most easily accessed from 28 at Cabins which is about six miles south of Petersburg. The road is very rural, excellent black top surface, narrow (just enough room for two cars to pass each other carefully), edge drops off sharply in places, lots and lot, and lots of curves/twisties, and about 18 - 20 miles long which includes the last five miles from down in Smoke Hole Canyon along a beautiful trout stream.

A friend with whom I ride who has done Deal's Gap, likes this road better.

If you are really adventuresome, you might consider trying some other roads that are sort of off the beaten path. One way to find out about the unknowns is to stop and ask the locals about them. Ask if they are hard surface or gravel, and if suitable for motorcycling.

Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with many of the routes available to you. The counties of Greenbrier, Pocahontas, Webster, Randolph, Pendleton, Grant, and Hardy, all have some great routes and places to visit.

Hope this will help you. Contact me if you want more specifics or have questions. I would be surprised if you don't also get other suggestions. Best wishes and ride safely. ENJOY>

Todd

P. S. Take a look at the website <pocahontascountywv.com> for more info or call 800 336-7009.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Wimpy, I really like thr Petersburg area. Smoke hole caverns, Cass Railroad, Blackwater Falls, Route 50 from Grafton, WV to Red House, MD if you like to crank it up a notch. Go to my blog and check out the trips and rides page. But you might want to skip this weekend looks like snow.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey wimpy,
I don't know how much time you have or how much twisties you want. But if you want twisties here is what I suggest. Ride up I-81 to Marion Va and get on RT 16 N past Hungry Mothers Park over to Tazewell Va. Stay on RT 16 all the way to Beckley. Between Tazewell and Beckley you will go through Coalwood WV, the home of the Rocket Boys and the movie October Sky. If you haven't seen the movie try to rent it before the trip. They have a scale model of the space shuttle (donated by NASA) set up in a little park a mile or so off the main road. Stop at the store and ask if you don't see the signs for it. From Beckley follow RT 19 towards Fayetteville (East or North not sure which) where you will cross the New River Gorge bridge. Stop at the visitors center after you cross the bridge and walk down to the overlook. The town of Summersville is a speed trap, stay 5 under. From there be sure to visit Snowshoe. Go up the mountain. There are some good places to stay there. Also Visit Cass scenic railroad and Greenbank Radio observatory. All in the same vicinity. Cranberry Glades is a good place to visit also. Rt 219S will bring you back down to Rich Creek Va. From there you can go several ways. Let me know if you need more. If you think this would make a good ride let me know and I can give you more details and possibly a map.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
WebCam, Great Smoky Mountains NP, North Carolina
(Live. If the image is black it's nighttime. :wink: )

Tuesday, 10/10/06, 9:30am: ... Really neat clouds in the valley!

·
Registered
165 Posts
West Virginia

We rode 534 miles this past weekend in the eastern mountains of WV. Simply spectacular. We rode from Beckley to Summersville on Route 19. At Summersville, we took 39 East to Richwood. From there, we took 39/55 East along the Highland Scenic Highway to the top of Kinnison Mountain (3988 ft.) to the DNR visitor center. From here, we took 150 North (over 4500 ft.) to Route 219 north of Marlington. Took 219 North to Elkins. From Elkins, we took 33 East to Senaca Rocks. From Seneca Rocks, took 28 North to Smoke Hole Log Cabins where we spent Saturday night in a honeymoon log cabin complete with fully equipped kitchen, Queen size bed, 2 person Jacuzzi, and wood burning fireplace. Got up Sunday morning and took 28 North to Petersburg and then took 220 North to Moorefield in Hardy county. Came back to Petersburg and took 220 South all the way to Covington, Va. This may be the most scenic stretch of road I have ever ridden. Stopped at Franklin, WV in Pendleton county and took 33 West to Spruce Knob (4863 ft., highest point in WV). Came back to Franklin, WV and proceeded on south on 220 to Covington. By the way, I had a first just north of Franklin on Route 220 in Pendleton county, WV. We saw a pair of Bald Eagles in the wild. No words for this. From Covington, we took I-64 West back to Beckley, WV. Covington, Va. stinks from the local paper mill. Randolph and Pendleton counties were near peak fall foliage this past weekend. I have ridden all over this state. This area is the best riding in WV.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
THANKS EVERYBODY
This was the kind of infro i was looking for. We will probley up there the week of oct23-27. If any of you see a 06RED and a03SILVER with tenn plates give us a shout on ch1.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
GET BUSY
You have a picture of my dog AJ in your avatar. We are going to be riding some of the rodes that you and WV WINGMAN suggested. We are going to be watching the weather and hope to leaving here on monday 10/23. We are planning on about 4day ride. Maybe we can see you all somewhere along the way. And again thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts