GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would pass this along for those that might be interested.

West VirginiaTitle 91 Rule 12

Amended by notice of final filing and adoption of a legislative rule authorized by the West Virginia Legislature.on 13 April 2011.
Page 23 Marking and application of inspection stickers
Paragraph 4 Subparagraph C.

Motorcycles –Attach certificates to a permanent, smooth, easily accessible part of the structure along the left hand side or center line of the vehicle. Care is to be taken not to apply the sticker to a part that would be damaged when the sticker is removed. The usage of an attached inspection plate is permitted.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
That is an improvement, I suppose. When purchased nearly 10 years ago, my '02 had an inspection sticker on the left slider tube between the top and mid bridge. You could not read it and could hardly see it even with a flashlight. The next year I faithfully presented the bike to my dealership for a new sticker. "Gee, where did we put those. We usually only put them on new bikes, I can't remember the last time anyone came into get a new one..." So that same sticker is still right there on the inner left fairing where I noticed it last month when the fairing was off for some service in my shop. I've been through several routine traffic stops/checks and they have never looked for it or asked to see road card or proof of insurance. I hate to go get one only to have the dealership act as if I am nuts because nobody ever bothers to get them..

prs

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ooops, picked up my 2010 in Chattanoga March 12, 2011. I did not bother to get an inspection sticker last year. Dont have one yet for this year. On second thought, on my vtx18 that I traded for the wing, I had not had a sticker for 5 years. Just lucky I quess no one ever noticed I didnt have one. Probably will not get one for the wing either. LOL

·
Registered
954 Posts
Here in MO, they are put on the lower left fork on all bikes.

However, the cops never look at/for them... ... MO is computerized - - cops know inspection information when they run your plates or license.

So, here in MO, those are a total waste of time - but - if you get a Jerk-cop, they could write you up for not having one on your vehicle, just because they can.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Moved from the West Coast

I just moved from the LA area to Suffolk, Virginia and had my bike and truck licensed. I was driving along fat dumb and happy for two weeks before my wife asked where my inspection sticker was. Inspection sticker? What's an inspection sticker? You'd think DMV might mention to an out of state transplant that they're required. Got the truck done and brought the bike in only to have the tech look dumbly at my bike for a mounting place. I finally bought a plate 1/8 inch wider and 1 inch longer than the sticker with a bolt hole at the top. I drilled it out again and bolted it top and bottom just behind the centerline of my front wheel cowling. It fits on the chrome part just fine and the two 3/4 inch long, 1/4 inch thick stainless bolts with nylock nuts hold it snug. It half covers the brake vent but I don't see that as a real problem. The plate itself is clean looking stainless steel and won't rust. Cost $11 at a local bike store. I can add a picture if anyone wants to see it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
North Carolina did away with them you get the inspection within 30 day of you tag date and if no inspection was done no plate sticker.

·
Registered
917 Posts
In CA you have biannual smog inspections but Virginia and some other States have annual safety inspections. Not expensive but the stickers are 3x4 inches and must be visible. Cars are inside windshield most bikes go on the fork tube.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
67 Posts
In CA you have biannual smog inspections but Virginia and some other States have annual safety inspections. Not expensive but the stickers are 3x4 inches and must be visible. Cars are inside windshield most bikes go on the fork tube.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
In Texas there is usually a plastic license plate backer that has a 3"X4" tab at the bottom. That is where our inspection stickers are displayed. In the 'olden day's, we carried them in our wallets. And if stopped, the LEO always asked to see it, which helped slow down bike thefts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts