GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a recommendation from this board to ride Rt. 50 in Virginia and West Virginia..Just got home from taking 50 from Winchester, Virginia to inside Ohio..If you like your road to go up & down and left & right for miles this is one of them..In my opinion---I find Virginia & West Virginia very nice & beautiful states, and at every stop I find the locals coming up to talk about the yellow wing..Always very nice people..Does anyone else have people asking about the wing like I do ??? A lot of people don't know what kind of bike it is..I love the hills...I live in the flat lands of central Indiana where you can watch your dog run away from home for 2 days !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Den,

When you went across US-50 how was the pot hole situation???

The last time I was on it was last fall and it was starting to get some big ones in it...

When it's kept paved it one of the better twisty roads in the country to have lots of fun on...
:bow: :bow: :yes1:

By the time I get up to it and to the other side and back I've used up a 12 hour day, but when it clean it's more than worth the time...
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Had a recommendation from this board to ride Rt. 50 in Virginia and West Virginia..Just got home from taking 50 from Winchester, Virginia to inside Ohio..If you like your road to go up & down and left & right for miles this is one of them..In my opinion---I find Virginia & West Virginia very nice & beautiful states, and at every stop I find the locals coming up to talk about the yellow wing..Always very nice people..Does anyone else have people asking about the wing like I do ??? A lot of people don't know what kind of bike it is..I love the hills...I live in the flat lands of central Indiana where you can watch your dog run away from home for 2 days !!!!!!!!!
sounds like Kansas to me

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
50 is a great road

·
DSI Keeper
9,183 Posts
DenDen, US 50 is a blast to ride. There are stretches tho that aren't patched very nicely. However the curves do make up for those few bad, rough places. You did stop at the Cool Springs before the last good set of twisties?

In fact, I can think of a couple of red Wings that are going to be invading US 50 tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Wv 50

One of my favorite roads, and of course, a stop at Cool Springs for an ice cream or coke is always good.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Us 50

DenDen, I have ridden US 50 from Grand Junction, CO to Winchester, VA. It is a nice ride particularly through VA and WV. Also some parts of OH and CO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rt 50

Yes there was some rough patches but don't remember any potholes..it's a fun road-- but you guys know that ....

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have run US 50 "Loneliest Highway in America" out of Colorado and all the way across Nevada. Twistys on that portion = NONE!!!! You will see something ahead of you then 10 mins later you figure out it's car headlights approaching, then another 5 mins you pass. I think trying it in WV will be much more enjoyable!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have run US 50 "Loneliest Highway in America" out of Colorado and all the way across Nevada. Twistys on that portion = NONE!!!! You will see something ahead of you then 10 mins later you figure out it's car headlights approaching, then another 5 mins you pass. I think trying it in WV will be much more enjoyable!:thumbup:
Yep, a lot of long lonely stretches of road in some of the western states. I have done three west coast trips from Maryland to California/Washington/Oregon in the last ten years.

Sometime, try guessing how far you can see, then measure the mileage until you get there, you'll be way off on the mileage estimate.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
DenDen, US 50 is a blast to ride. There are stretches tho that aren't patched very nicely. However the curves do make up for those few bad, rough places. You did stop at the Cool Springs before the last good set of twisties?

In fact, I can think of a couple of red Wings that are going to be invading US 50 tomorrow morning.
Man, I wish I had gotten an invite??? :-(

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you like Rt 50, you'll love Rt 33 in WV.

I do.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If you like Rt 50, you'll love Rt 33 in WV.

I do.
Personally I like US-33 better than US-50 and US-250 myself but there’s not a dimes worth of difference in all three of them... All three are extremely exciting and rather technical to ride at any speeds at all...

And then you have

And then there's the back roads that not to many know about that are just as good as the ones listed above...

The list is almost endless, you can ride all summer long and never ride the same road twice and have almost the same enjoyment from each one as you did the last...

I truly believe you could easily put ten thousand miles on your bike in West Virginia and other than crossing a road more than once, never ride that same road twice...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks, DenDen--
I've been looking at rt50 as a possible ride west. Good to have the input.
340 between Winchester and Waynesboro, VA is a good alternative to the Skyline Drive. No scenic overlooks, but you probably save an hour if you're looking for a 2-lane to travel south.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
If you love non stop twisties you will love that road. Personally for me it was fun for a couple of hours and then I was ready to get off. Don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry on that route. I enjoy riding the dragon but always ready to exit at the end of the 11 miles. Guess I'm more of a long sweeping curve kind of rider.

Fred

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Dick,
I think you missed 16 & 88 . They may get up set...
You know you’re right I did forget about 16 and it is a very fun road too... I just went back and added it in... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now 88, I don't remember ever ridding it before??? Maybe old age is getting to me??? Hehehe :oops::shrug: :oops: :shrug:

·
Registered
826 Posts
We did both 50 and 33 when we were out east 3 years ago rode 33 from the Shenandoah National Parkway to Pomeroy Ohio, really liked the road and the curves, we only rode 50 from Ohio border to Fellowsville W Va. When we went through Harrisonburg we got behind a local riding a Soft Tail had fun trying to stay with him to Franklin but I was 2 up, loaded, first time on the road and a guy from the flat state of Iowa so it didn't take him long to leave me but I had fun for awhile. Alot of nice roads in south east Ohio to ride too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts