GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My pastor, his wife, his son, myself and my wife are planning a once in a lifetime trip to CA this May to first week of June 5-18/6-8. Plan hard ride (300-400 miles a day) to get to Colorado, visit National Park in CO, and thru 3 of UT National Parks. Then through the Mohave desert, arrive in CA in less than 8 days, then to Bakersfield, then north through the Sequoia Redwood National Park, up to San Francisco, then south along the Pacific Coast highway to LA. From there via an as yet undecided route we will make our way across Arizona to the Grand Canyon, as part of the return trip. Still working on the details, but very excited.
I have never been across the USA coast to coast ( VA_CA), and I hope I can last such a trip. I may be asking for more info than I can process, but any advice will be a blessing. Don't think my wife can last extended riding, so she will follow in a chase vehicle.
Route will be refined over the next week or so, and if we can get close to fellow riders, would love a quick visit and ride in your area. Advice and tips, locations to visited, and all info will be a great gift. I can't wait. Ride On ! Bob

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sounds like an exciting fun trip, Bob. FWIW, take a look at some of the posts in the last 2-3 weeks for travel suggestions. I've seen a number of those and have commented on them with some recommendations, too. I'd make Utah a must-see, at least some of their parks anyway.

Reactions: rcpbob

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
Definitely purchase a Natl Parks Pass

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Sounds like a 6,000 mile trip, at 300-400 miles per day it seems to be very possible and you will be very busy. Sounds like a very nice trip, hopefully everything works out well for your group.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. I always say myself "the west is the best" direction for me. I can't go very far east anyway or I'll get wet. LOL There is a lot of places to see out west. I'll be going myself in a couple of weeks. Have fun and be safe as prudent.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I wish you luck..... but personally from our experience, you likely won't be able to do 300-400 miles a day, EVERYDAY, with this many riders and a car following you.... and stop to take in the Parks etc you are going to visit. Sounds easy until you actually try to do it. We have found 280-330 miles a day for maybe three days? then take a "rest" day, see the area you are in, ride only a little that day. Eat, relax, repeat... then head out the next day to cover some more miles.

You might be able to do it. Keep in mind you and your friends may get very exhausted by day 5 or 6 doing 400 miles a day... and need to take a "day off" from long distance riding. Be aware you don't want people riding tired, not enjoying themselves, and then making a mistake as a result of fatigue.

And, then if you have time, Arizona Hwy 191 is the best road I've ever ridden..........

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never done this trip, but my Pastor has. Will have to make sure that rest days are built in. can't wait.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
You do know, that your making many of us, on this board...................very, very jealous..............don't you! :crying:

Your taking my dream, and making it a reality ......Congrat's

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The SW deserts will begin heating up about that time, but the mornings are usually very pleasant. On those days try to get an early start and stay hydrated. It’s easier to get accustomed to the heat as it builds gradually during the day. Nothing like an early morning ride through the desert.

Another thought if your schedule can swing it...Grand Canyon North Rim. It’s a little out of the way and it’s one way in and one way out, but it’s much less crowded than the touristy South Rim, a more spectacular view (IMO), and the ride in is beautiful. Or, do BOTH!

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You do know, that your making many of us, on this board...................very, very jealous..............don't you! :crying:
Your taking my dream, and making it a reality ......Congrat's
Ronnie

Hey Ronnie, didn't mean to, NOT . Like you, this will be the trip of my life on the bike. Thanks to others about the tips on the desert and North Rim. Bob

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you visit the Grand Canyon from the south along Hwy 64 from Williams AZ, make sure you exit to the east following Hwy 64 towards Cameron AZ. I agree, the North Rim is always less visited and much more scenic than the south Rim.

From the Grand Canyon, consider taking I-40 east to Holbrook, then southeast towards St. Johns on Hwy 180. From St. Johns, take a right passing through Springerville and winding up in Alpine. This might be a good place to stop for two nights.

From Alpine, head east on Hwy 180 to Luna NM, continuing south for several hours until you turn right (east) onto Hwy 78 into Arizona.

Once in Arizona, turn right (north) onto Hwy 191 and roll north. Make sure you eat and gas up in either Clifton/Morenci, as you won't have any services of any kind other than an occasional vault toilet...for 90 miles. Now, 90 miles is nothing on a Goldwing, but consider the posted speed limit on this very rural back area highway in 25-30mph. Think thousands of curves, twisties and sweepers rarely getting into third gear with the very limited straight runs which allow you to break 50mph...for a very brief amount of time. And while in Morenci, make sure you stop at the overlook gazing down into the open pit copper mine!

Once you arrive back in Alpine, a minimum of 3 hours has passed since you left Clifton/Morenci AZ. Fuel up, then hit one of the nearby restaurants to feed your overly fatigued bodies and minds after this unbelievable ride!

From Alpine on Day 2, head north on Hwy 191 until you intersect with Hwy 60. Turn right and head towards Quemado NM for a mind blowing Hatch Chili cheeseburger. After lunch, have a tasty treat in Pie Town NM. From there, you'll continue east along Hwy 60 towards I-25 and Socorro NM. Along the way, you'll pass through the Very Large Array (VLA) of radio receivers pointing outwards to space, watching for the NCC-1701 as Capt. Kirk passes by...

Enjoy your little adventure, sounds like fun!

- David

ps - if you take Hwy 191 north from Morenci, make sure you obtain a very good sleep the night before, as this ride WILL tire you out physically and emotionally.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
David has posted some good info for Arizona...

The *only* item I would disagree with would be having a chase vehicle tag along US-191 between Clifton and Alpine.

Nope, no way. The alternate route (AZ-78/NM-78 to US-180...) is better.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
So, I've been pretty consistent in the following recommendation - my SoCal riders may or may not agree with me.

The PCH (e.g. CA-1) south of Santa Monica - it's urban. Dense traffic, stop-lights galore - and one of the roads that locals will use...because in some areas, the freeways just a few miles inland are slower.

The short stretch from Santa Monica to Pt. Mugu also has traffic, and if this is the style of riding - right along the oceanfront - you're really looking for...

You want to enjoy the '101' from Ventura to San Luis Obispo. NOTE: There are some alternate routes between these two points that are motorcycle friendly. Be warned; you can easily sink a day or or more riding in this region. I've done it, and need to do it again.

The 'real' CA-1 is north of San Luis Obispo - and really, from Morro Bay north.

Now, running out of time?

Find the Jalama Beach - south of Lompoc. Great burger stand there, and the road into the place is pretty spectacular. It's paved, but beaten up.

Because Vandenberg AFB is adjacent to this beach, that's the reason why CA-1 heads inland toward Lompoc. I guess there could be issues with spaceflight launches over people and roads and what not. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I've been pretty consistent in the following recommendation - my SoCal riders may or may not agree with me.

The PCH (e.g. CA-1) south of Santa Monica - it's urban. Dense traffic, stop-lights galore - and one of the roads that locals will use...because in some areas, the freeways just a few miles inland are slower.

The short stretch from Santa Monica to Pt. Mugu also has traffic, and if this is the style of riding - right along the oceanfront - you're really looking for...

You want to enjoy the '101' from Ventura to San Luis Obispo. NOTE: There are some alternate routes between these two points that are motorcycle friendly. Be warned; you can easily sink a day or or more riding in this region. I've done it, and need to do it again.

The 'real' CA-1 is north of San Luis Obispo - and really, from Morro Bay north.

Now, running out of time?

Find the Jalama Beach - south of Lompoc. Great burger stand there, and the road into the place is pretty spectacular. It's paved, but beaten up.

Because Vandenberg AFB is adjacent to this beach, that's the reason why CA-1 heads inland toward Lompoc. I guess there could be issues with spaceflight launches over people and roads and what not. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps!

Thanks Kwthom.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts