GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those in the areas in or near Clarion, PA, this ride is a good two-day run that is definitely worthwhile.

We left home last Saturday (sunny/warm day) at about 1230 with the GPSMAP 76CSx running to log the trip, and stopped for a quick lunch in Ithaca, NY. From there, we headed through Horseheads and Corning towad Tioga, PA, where we picked up Rte 287, and on to Rte 6.

Route 6 carried us to Kane, PA, a great ride in itself, and to (PA) Rte. 66; I had not traveled this road in more than 18 years. It winds through the Allegheny forest toward Clarion, PA, where we spent the night. The forest still has areas so deep that there is near darkness 20 feet from the road on a sunny day. On Sunday morning, we awakened to moderate fog, so we ate breakfast and headed oward Emlenton on I-80 - my wife had never seen the bridge that overlooks the very deep valley at Emlenton. Exiting I-80, we rode down into that valley through Emlenton and on to Franklin, then toward Oil City. We gassed up at Franklin and added some Techron fuel system cleaner (stopped at Wally's around the corner for that) at that time.

The next leg follows Rte 62 along the Allegheny River and the western edge of the Allegheny forest..... nice easy touring on smooth and winding roads (leaning on the curves made the OEM Dunlops buzz quite a bit) toward Warren, PA, where we stopped for a light lunch. Continuing on 62 into NY state, we picked up I-86, which took us to Belmont, the exit for Wellsville, the home of the renowned Texas Hot restaurant. While visiting with relatives in Wellsville, a stop at the Texas Hot was required.

The remainder of the trip home was also smooth and uneventful.... Rte 417 through Greenwood and Addison and back to I-86. This is a ride we will do again - I recommend it to anybody who just wants a nice easy cruise through mountains, small towns, and forests.

By the way, the trip numbers (per the GPS) were:

Total mileage: 757.81
Max. Speed: "a bit more than 80" :wink:
Moving Time: 13hrs, 05 min.
Moving Avergae Speed: 57.9 MPH
Stopped Time: 4hrs, 27 min.
Overall Avg. Speed: 43.2 MPH
Max. Elev.: 1849' MSL
Total Ascent: 24762'

·
Registered
637 Posts
The next time you pass thru Ithaca, stop at Ithaca Bakery...It's a deli and bakery and have the best sandwiches around. We take a run (40 miles) to there for lunch and to bring home some snickerdoodles...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pass by there every time I come home from work, and have stopped there a few times. The wife of one of the owners of that place works with me. I recall when the Ithaca Bakery was famous for Italian bread and rolls; Joe Zazzara supplied most of the restaurants in the areafor many years.

Another favorite place (one of many in Ithaca) to stop for food is Garcia's on Elmira Road (formerly Pizza Hut, and then Ralph's Ribs); they also have restaurants in Cortland, Geneva, Elmira Heights, and Corning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts