GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thoughts, as many of us at this moment, are with Jerry's/Black Pirate's loved ones. He is resting now but the loved ones, as always, are left to pick up the pieces. When I went to bed last night I was thinking about Jerry and when I awoke this morning it was still on my mind. I went for a ride today and as I was riding it dominated my thoughts and as I approached some twisties, tempted to push the envelope a little bit, I slowed up and had a very safe, enjoyable ride. Many times I thought "there but for the grace of God, go I". How many of us have made it around a curve with our hearts pounding because we took it a little too fast and ended up in either the oncoming lane or approaching the shoulder? Who knows, maybe Jerry saved my life today. Let's not let his tragic end be for naught. Think of him when we get a little careless and let's pull back. He paid the supreme price for a lack of judgment that we have all been guilty of many, many times.

Jerry you reminded us of how quickly it can end and may we always remember such a valuable but costly lesson.

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
My thoughts, as many of us at this moment, are with Jerry's/Black Pirate's loved ones. He is resting now but the loved ones, as always, are left to pick up the pieces. When I went to bed last night I was thinking about Jerry and when I awoke this morning it was still on my mind. I went for a ride today and as I was riding it dominated my thoughts and as I approached some twisties, tempted to push the envelope a little bit, I slowed up and had a very safe, enjoyable ride. Many times I thought "there but for the grace of God, go I". How many of us have made it around a curve with our hearts pounding because we took it a little too fast and ended up in either the oncoming lane or approaching the shoulder? Who knows, maybe Jerry saved my life today. Let's not let his tragic end be for naught. Think of him when we get a little careless and let's pull back. He paid the supreme price for a lack of judgment that we have all been guilty of many, many times.

Jerry you reminded us of how quickly it can end and may we always remember such a valuable but costly lesson.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
20,952 Posts

:agree::thumbup:
another situation i have seen the bad results of to many times is folks riding over thier abilities because they want to keep up with someone else, running off the road on a motorcycle just ain't worth it, don't let something like that happen

·
Registered
791 Posts
Think of him when we get a little careless and let's pull back. He paid the supreme price for a lack of judgment that we have all been guilty of many, many times.

How eloquent, and how true.

As Danica Patrick said, "This isn't like playing miniature golf...".

Probono

·
Registered
263 Posts

A significant message written quite eloquently.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Amen. Very nicely put and well written. We can all relate to and benefit from these words...

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I sure don't want to sound morbid here, but what type of crash did Jerry have, and how did it happen?
I never met Jerry, but I'm sure I would have liked him.
Prayers to his family, and all his riding buddy's.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
we as a group have been very fortunate, so far

with all the miles we run,

i cant remember another death, in the nearly 6 years i have been on this site

if nothing else, take this as a little wake up call to be a little more careful

it is an old saying, but i think it is very true

ride within your limits, know them, and be satisfied to get home safely

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I sure don't want to sound morbid here, but what type of crash did Jerry have, and how did it happen?
I never met Jerry, but I'm sure I would have liked him.
Prayers to his family, and all his riding buddy's.
according to his girl friend, blondie

they were riding and jerry was riding far too fast,

she asked him, on the cb, a few times to slow down, but he was felling it,

she decided to hang back and ride at her pace

jerry missed a corner and went down a very deep and steep bank, rolling three times

how must she have felt, to be waved down by a car, and find this

had it not been for the car seeing it happen, she would have rode on past, not even knowing it happened

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
We have all rode to fast, gone in a curve to hot, took bad lines, brake to hard and all the other mistakes all riders make. But the man let us live to ride another day.

When you think about the fast rides we have made and how tired we were at the end of the day then think about the slow leisurely rides where you saw so much more and was so relaxed at the end of the day makes me wonder why I even want to push my luck by riding fast.

Some push not only their limits but also exceed the limits of the bike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Prayers for family and friends.
whales

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
according to his girl friend, blondie

they were riding and jerry was riding far too fast,

she asked him, on the cb, a few times to slow down, but he was felling it,

she decided to hang back and ride at her pace

jerry missed a corner and went down a very deep and steep bank, rolling three times

how must she have felt, to be waved down by a car, and find this

had it not been for the car seeing it happen, she would have rode on past, not even knowing it happened

We've all been there (riding too fast) such a shame to pay the ultimate price, just trying to have a little fun.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
lets hope this gets out to all the trike riders riding them to fast,the are not made for hard cornering and all can go south in a heart beat!!

he was a go fast kinda guy and he was riding that trike like he always rode!!

remember bev liked to talk about her high speed runs also"yup we dont know why she crashed but something to think about!!!

an old member tonyb,a very nice guy rode with us,for two days we asked him to slow down a bit as he was grinding his crash guards to a pulp but he said,i always do that?he crashed on the skyway on the 3rd day thank god not hurt!!!!

remember folks no reset button here,no plastic trophys,ride your ride and ride another day

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yes, a real eye opener, makes you think when your going around a corner a bit fast, think ill just pull off the road and let the faster folks go by.

So tragic.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well put RRIXX, I've been thinking many of these exact thoughts today.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry last year and also riding a couple of different times with him. He was a very accomplished rider and he did like to really push the envelope. We all need to take this as the perfect example of what can and does happen.

RIP Jerry . . . .

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Thanks, RRIXX. You spoke for many of us.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I was just talking with my riding buddy, Smoky, about this same thing. I think the Pirate already has me thinking more and probably taking it a little easier, and hopefully safer, over the coming riding season.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts