GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basic model 2002 GL1800 (really, there was no 'basic' model back then, only standard brake or ABS brake) has been and is a real honey of a ride. It has had the advantage of being well maintained, and a Mega Monty Traxxionization and a comfy aftermarket seat; but is otherwise stock. My daughter and I put about 300 VERY ROUGH miles on it yesterday on southern WV back roads including dirt, gravel, pot holes galore, unfilled pavement patchwork cut-outs as the Dept of Highways is trying to repair the vast winter damage. Rode all day and not even one big jarring bump, no bottoming out, no fighting the steering, it just kept nimbly going on in great comfort. This bike has had NO service by the Honda Shop. Only routine work by me including one major repair with engine out of frame; amazing record for 125,000 miles or so. Today, it will go again; after a quick bath and frame inspection.

Point is, I do not think this is unusual or even atypical for GL1800s. We have members here with over three times that milage and who could have written a similar report of praise. On this forum we see all the problems reported and may lose sight of the big picture, that picture being one of relatively VERY FEW PROBLEMS and great reliability. Ride on with confidence!

prs

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm at 110,000 on my 2001 and it's been a trouble free ride but for a few little things. An O2 sensor a few years back, a full monty Traxxion upgrade and several sets of tires is all that has been done to mine. I agree, they are sweeties!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I did the same yesterday, not quite 300. I have five trouble free years on mines, and have never been to the dealer for anything but the brake recall. I have not yet reached your mileage, but the bike has met all my expectations. Puts a grin on my face every time I'm on it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Same for my '06. Had Full Monty done 2 years ago and finishing it off with the Mega Monty this Friday. 88k trouble free miles. Just replaced the battery last year before a long trip but that is it besides oil changes and tires. Oh, I did have the entire wire harness replaced under Honda warranty due to heaters not working. That did not fix the heater so replaced grip under Honda warranty a year or so after I got it. All is still working.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hell yeah

I just took my baby to work just last week, seems like the weather is allowing us some riding time up here in Tundra Minnesota, and once i got back on her i realized how smooth and nice this bike is, i got a new tire for her still deciding where to take her to have her mounted, but overall great bike, feel good to see a post of someone actually giving the bike a good review, seems like a lot of folks always want more, which is good, this bike seems better than some of the other one's i had and am pretty happy with the regular set up, but that is our nature, always wanting better. love you all and have a safe riding season. peaccccceeee and keep and eye out for them cars...

·
Registered
634 Posts
You are so right PRS. I only have 70,000 on my '05 and have had almost no issues with my Black-Cherry. I have Traxionized, pulled the normal maintainence on her and she is fit as a fiddle. I do have one fork-seal weeping some oil, but will rebuild both forks next week. I would straddle her saddle and ride off anywhere that called my name. She is one of two Touring machines that we have and she is the one we ride the most when we trip-out for a few days.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My '05 has been a jewel. Nothing major or for that matter nothing really has gone wrong at all. They are a great bike but as I get older - it is getting a little heavy for me...:cry:

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
I think a lot of the people bashing are the kind that don't put hundreds of thousands of miles on a bike. They are the type to have a lot of different bikes and move around from one manufacturer to the other maybe only putting 20-30K miles on a bike before they trade it for something else.

I'm not saying that they are wrong.....just that for them, the Wing is no more reliable than anything else because almost any bike will be reliable for the first 30K miles.

I don't think you truly appreciate the relibility of a wing until you've had it long enough to put that many miles on it.

Point being....you might feel a bit petty complaining about the outdated electronics and design of a bike that has carried you 100K miles over the last decade with no issues but if you just bought it in the last couple of years and are comparing everything else you could have bought, then the fact of the reliability isn't something you've really experienced so it's not really real to you and therefore easy to overlook.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I had an 08 with Traxxion that 87,000 miles trouble free smiles and was offered a good trade up to a 2012 that now has 46,000 smiles and it now has mega Traxxion. If hope I never have to return the bike to the so called Honda Tech wreckers for anything. They just ruin as much stuff with power tools as they at a snail's pace fix. Just found a seat bolt jammed in cross thread after they fixed TPMS system. Could tell it was by marks where the missed the hole and ran the bolt like a drill. I am not impressed at all with Honda service! End of rant! :frown:Lyle

·
Registered
702 Posts
Only routine work by me including one major repair with engine out of frame; amazing record for 125,000 miles or so. Today, it will go again; after a quick bath and frame inspection. prs
Sir, removing the engine is a major and expensive job (mine cost $3000). Do you mind telling us what the repair was that necessitated removing the engine.....just curious.

·
Registered
87 Posts
107K and counting!!!

Being relatively new to the GW set I've been impressed with the reliability and comfort of the Honda Flagship. I found my '03 Black Beauty on Craigslist in May of 2011 and have had a permanent grin on my face ever since. My bride of nearly 42 years and I have been privileged to travel to several states on the wing pulling our Aspen camper. Great times to enjoy God's creation up close and personal.
I finally decided to join the darkside about seven thousand miles ago and the Hankook still looks like the day I bought it. Can't say enough good things about our ride. The wife really likes the intercom and CB to be able to talk with everyone on group rides or even when it's just the two of us. We ride with our local CMA chapter out of Palestine and have a great group of guys and gals to fellowship with. When you're in the East Texas area on the second Sat. of each month we meet at H&W Honda of Palestine at 9:30 in the morning. Come out and join us.
I know 107K is not a lot of miles on a Goldwing but I'm thankful for every one of them.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
My 2006 GL1800 ABS model has a little over 206,000 miles on it, with at least 126,000 of those pulling my Tailwind trailer. The only major repair was a final drive replacement at 119,000 miles, and Honda handled that under warranty. They also replaced the original seat, for a seam started coming apart at about 150,000 miles. Just for grins I checked to see if it was under warranty, and even the service writer was amazed when Honda said they'd warranty it.

I too am in awe about the reliability and dependabilty of the Goldwing. I don't baby it, and I'm not much of a wrench. Even so, I'd strike out tomorrow morning for anywhere in the USA, and I'd be confident that the Wing would get me there and back and make me look good and feel comfortable doing it. How many other 200,000+ mile back could do that?

I see no reason whatsoever to look for a replacement bike. This one will see me through for another couple of hundred thousand miles.

Glen

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Mega Monty?
Fully Monty is getting Traxxion suspension front and rear. I believe the Mega Monty also includes a special made triple tree. Do a search in this forum for Traxxion and also go visit their web page. It takes a heavy duty wallet to afford a Traxxion upgrade.

So far we are happy with stock suspension, a fork brace, dynabeads, and a Bridgestone 704/709 combo. I weigh in the 190s and my wife in the 130s and we travel fairly light (although all compartments are full, and a bag is on the top trunk and a cooler rack we don't pull a trailer so I feel we are pretty light).

Some need the best at any cost. Some are happy with stock or near stock suspension and handling parts. A third option if you are bottoming out you can also look toward Progressive Suspension parts.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sir, removing the engine is a major and expensive job (mine cost $3000). Do you mind telling us what the repair was that necessitated removing the engine.....just curious.
The earlier year model bikes were equipped with a massive spring loaded centrifugal damper for alternator drive gear. This is to prevent the engine firing pulses at idle from shearing the alternator shaft under load. The units is called alternator driven gear (ADG) and sometimes alternator cushion gear (ACG), the latter terminology I understand was from the GL1500. The Achilles' heel of that contraption is a flimsy pressed sheet metal retainer that holds a pair of half moon keys between the ADG outer and inner halves. Over time the engine vibes wear the ADG and part of that wear is those little half moons eating into the flimsy retainer -- the more it wears the quicker it wears until the retainer breaks, the keys drop and the ADG no longer provides effective dampening of pulses at idle. The mass dampening still works at higher RPM and spring dampening is still somewhat effective at lower RPM to keep the shaft from shearing; but the noise is horrendous at idle. The rear engine case has to be removed to replace the ACG. One can elect to use the new design viscous coupling type, or to use the same ole original design, or to modify an original unit with a very beefy retainer available through DHS Racing and developed by a former member here (Rocky). I chose the Rocky clip method. I did the job myself and a very good fellow loaned me the special tools and a good bit of savvy information. It cost me the price of shipping tools, buying the clip, the new ADG, and some gaskets and supplies along with the involved bearings and seals and the new water pump I replaced while in there.

And to the other inquiry; yes, a MEGA Monty is full Traxxion with the top and bottom sections of the billet tree.

prs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts