GL1800Riders Forums banner

What am I doing wrong?

988 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  jwolffie 
#1 ·
I came to the "Darkside" about 3500 miles ago. Running a Kuhumo. Long story short I am having problems with the bike wanting to fall downhill when traveling perpendicular to the fall on a slope. I dropped my first bike (after 40+ years of riding) in Ouray, CO in July while traveling perpendicular to the fall of a steeply sloped parking lot. I notice the same if I am pulling a u-turn coming off a sloped driveway. Other than this problem I have enjoyed the ride.
Any suggestions?

Dick

#2 ·
Nothing you can do, it is what it is as far as that situation. The tires do fall to the low side.

You do learn to use the throttle more and compensate for this.

Unpaved parking lots, with rocks, sand and such are a royal pain too. You just have to be careful and take it easy in those situations. Trying to turn the bike around in a dirt lot with rocks and uneven areas, it can be interesting.

So you just go slow, a little at a time.

A U turn on a slope, best go practice on level ground, then when confident, be a bit more aggressive on a slope and use the throttle .

#3 ·
Now that you kinow what your bike wants to do on uneven/sloped surfaces, look and identify and when you know you are going to be encountering the bike wanting to go tip or go to the lowest area, either shift your weight or put a little more pressure on the handlebar to compensate for it, depending on the speed. For me, it seems the slower I am moving, the more the bike wants to find the low spot, especially with uneven surfaces like stopping at red lights where weighted trucks have pushed the surface down with a hump in the middle. As far as sloped parking lot, you can ride with the bike leaned opposite the slope by pressing on the handlebar opposite the slope. Bike riding in straight line but leaned uphill, if that paints a mental image. Don't grab a handfull of front brake when you feel the bike doing something, use the rear and then if needed gently squeeze the front. JMO.

#4 ·
Kit not sure about your rocky or sandy parking lot analogy, it would seem to me that the CT is much better in those situations. For me it's rock solid compared to an MT. I certainly understand the sloped problem although it's never caused me a problem

#6 ·
IF YOU GO REAL FAST WHEELS ACT LIKE GYRO'S WONT FALL OVER LAY ON HORN SO PEOPLE GET OUT OF WAY WHILE YOUR DOIN 30 MPH THRU SLOPE :22yikes:

#7 ·
I am having problems with the bike wanting to fall downhill when traveling perpendicular to the fall on a slope.

Any suggestions?

Dick

The car tire is a lot like a wide cylinder while rolling down the road and it tends to keep the bike upright. (so does the gyro effect of the wheels) Thus the little bit of extra push on the grip to get the bike to lean.

Imagine yourself driving an asphalt paving roller on a slope. It will keep itself perpendicular to the slope.

The suggestion is to be prepared for the sensation and apply a little push to the appropriate grip much like you do while making your way along a sweeping curve.

:thumbup:

#8 ·
Kit not sure about your rocky or sandy parking lot analogy, it would seem to me that the CT is much better in those situations. For me it's rock solid compared to an MT. I certainly understand the sloped problem although it's never caused me a problem
Yes Sir it is. Most of the time. Especially on gravel roads. You can fly down a gravel road with a CT. Let er rip.

What I speak of is that slow speed shuffle, like you pull into an off road parking lot that is sloped, has little room and limited ways to park. So you get into the turn the bike around thing. There are rocks, sand, gravel and so on.

Most would not try some of the things I will do anyway. In calyfornia in one state park I really wanted to hike the trail, the parking lot was terrible.

So I went out to the main road, parked, picked up some large rocks, put them in the passenger seat, went back to the parking area, threw the rocks onto the ground and stacked two of them up. So I could get the side stand down, and the bike not fall over. That is how sloped the parking lot was. I guess I could have dug a hole on the high side too. Lol!

On really rough stuff, the CT will walk around a lot. At slow speeds such as the both feet down , I am about to fall over here stuff.

If I am running and can keep enough speed to make a u turn , not a big deal. It is that slowllllsssss stuff that walks the walk.

#10 ·
I've been up & down to Ouray ...it's called the million dollar surprise. Check your tire pressure and the oxygen level in your brain.
Diplopia

Aneisokonia ,

<H4>Binocular Vision Dysfunction

Vertical Imbalance Ambient Visual Disorder

:lol:
</H4>

#11 ·
True, the tire wants to hug the road.

It reminds me of when my first set of 'round tires' needed replacing. I didn't realize how 'square' they had become until I left the dealer with the new 'round' tires: I thought the bike was going to fall over when I made my first low speed turn. I'd gradually gotten used to the 'square' as it wore.

Since a very small percentage of your mileage will involve such conditions, you'll need to find opportunities to practice (as others have suggested).

I find that the several advantages of my Kumho -- traction, handling, RF safety, load rating -- far outweigh the infrequent 'reminders' that it's square.

#12 ·
That is one of the reasons I went to a non run flat tire, the tread flexes better over the uneven stuff and sucks up a lot of the push from the tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.