GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I'm trying to figure out why (at times) when I shift from first to second, the tranny shifts hard, like I'm forcing it. It does not happen all the time. I figure it's "me" and the way I'm shifting, but I can't figure out just what I'm doing wrong. It can happen when I'm pulling hard on the RPMs or short shifting...

I'm already using syn oil.

I've been riding for 30 years and some how I've picked up a bad habit...

Any tips on changing my technique?

John

·
Registered
393 Posts
John Flovin said:
Howdy,

I'm trying to figure out why (at times) when I shift from first to second, the tranny shifts hard, like I'm forcing it. It does not happen all the time. I figure it's "me" and the way I'm shifting, but I can't figure out just what I'm doing wrong. It can happen when I'm pulling hard on the RPMs or short shifting...

Any tips on changing my technique?

John
Switch to synthetic oil!
Glen

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Sorry if you are already doing this but back to basics. Are you backing off the throttle momentarily during the shift?

If you can't figure it out ride it over to my house so I can take it for a ride and let you know if its normal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Maybe a short Clutch, pull the lever all the way. Adjust clutch throw maybe or adjust your technik.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I know you said you were experienced, but since you indicated that it happens only once in a while and then goes back to normal, my first guess would be that you are not pulling in the clutch fully/enough at times. You could also have a bubble in your clutch hydralic line which is compressing so you don't fully release the pressure on the clutch plate. If either of these possiblities are not the case, then it may be something really BAD happening in your transmission. I would contact another GL-1800 friend that you trust with your bike and let them take it for a spin for an objective independant evaluation of the problem. If they cannot make it "fail", then look inward my friend.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have had the same experience as you.. so i tired lots of different
shifting techniques... and found if I take off in 1st. sorta slowly.. shift to second very soon.. lets say about 25 or 30 feet.. my bike shifts so smooth without any noise ... it just seems to slip into second.. of coarse I roll off the throttle when shifting..
Try it.. and see...

cosmic

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
John Flovin said:
You're experiencing what's sometimes referred to as "lazy shifting". Notice that it never (or rarely) happens when you're shifting from 2 to 3, 3 to 4, or 4 to 5.

When you shift from 1 to 2, you have to go through neutral, and if you dont make it a convincing shift, you sometimes wont make it all the way. This "problem" is particularly noticable in Hondas, for some strange reason.

The way to resolve this is either:

1. Make your shifts from 1 to 2 a bit more precise. Dont forget, your shifter is only 6 inches long, so there's not much leverage to help you. It's particularly more noticable on a Valkyrie which only has a 5 inch lever.

2. Get a heel-shifter (or kick shifter). Personally, I highly reccommend Rattlebars. This will provide you with more leverage and a more precise shift, and pressing DOWN with your heel to shift is a LOT easier than lifting UP with your big toe <smile>.

I used to have this problem at least a couple of times a day on my Valkyrie..., especially if I got sloppy, or "lazy". Once I installed a heel-shifter, I only experienced it about once a month, if that.

Im guessing there's nothing mechanically wrong with your bike..., just your tecnique needs a bit of focus. Shifting from 1 to 2 is the most difficult shift you make, so it needs a bit of special attention.

When I get my new Wing later this month, a Rattlebars heel-shifter will be the FIRST thing I add to it. If you've never ridden a bike with a heel-shifter, try it..., you wont believe the difference.

Contact Chet at www.rattlebars.com for more info about heel-shifters.

·
Registered
295 Posts
John,
I have the same problem as you. Only have the rough shift between 1st and 2nd and only sometimes. Tried most of the techniques described here. The only thing that works with any consistency is shifting to 2nd early like someone mentioned.
I have been riding for over 35 years, lots of bikes and miles and I think this Wing is "special" and it is just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You'll receive far more varied advice than you expected. Unless, there is a legitimate mechanical problem, I suspect it's mainly, periodic lack of concentration on basic shifting, foot position, clutch hand/ foot syncronization?? Occasionally, when I miss a proper shift (usually, 1 - 2), I become angry with myself, for simply not concentrating on shifting coordination. Of course, higher RPM's can also affect a smoother shift. I have satisfactorilly shifted, without using the clutch, at very low RPM's?

Yes, it's very frustrating, AND an ego crusher!! Just, let the RPM's drop, take a deep breath, to ease the frustration, get back into the game with increased concentration, and let'er rip!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
shift

I had the same issue and agree with Andy. I changed over to a heel toe shifter and that seemed to help the situation some. Not 100% but a noticeable difference. Pre-load took care of the remainder.

Stan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts