GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I found my right fork seal leaking.:cry: I have decide to do some additional maintenance since it will already be torn apart. This is a 05 with 52,000 miles. This is the plan:

Replace both fork seals and oil.
Replacing fork springs with Progressive (can't afford Traxxion)
Replace steering bearings with ALL Balls
Clean and possibly disable anti-dive valve
Replace front wheel bearings
Replace air filter
Replace front and rear brake pads
Replace brake and clutch fluid
Change coolant
Check coolant hoses and clamps
Adjust the lag out of cruise
Check valve clearance
Clean and service rear shock
Just has a recent oil change and rear drive service.

Seem like I am missing something. What am I forgetting? :?:

Thanks,

Billy

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
This is the plan:

Replace front wheel bearings
Why? Are they making noise? Unless you have
150,000+ they are probably good. BTW, they
are a pain in the butt to pull and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Clean and lubricate the brass pivots for the clutch and brake levers.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Crush washer. (should be #1)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Billy, once you're in there, I would strongly suggest the RaceTech Gold Valves if they're within the budget. Obviously Traxxion would be better, but The RaceTech setup works very well too.

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=18&c=Yes&showPage=cruiser

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/en...&year=06-08&TABLEINFO=street&langname=english

When I did mine (exactly what you are contemplating...) the Goldvalves were $189. I am very happy with the setup. I skipped the very expensive RaceTech fork oil and went with stock Honda oil.

You might also check your rear shock preload adjuster while you're back there. Or is that what you meant by service rear shock?

Once you get the front end sorted out you'll find that the rear shock is just useless for anything other than holding the way-too-weak spring in place. At 52K, yours is worn out as well as junk to start with. I did a Progressive on mine, but Traxxion offers excellent choices for about the same money, and if you decide to go full-monty later, the shock is done.

I had an opportunity to ride a Traxxion bike at Wing-Ding. With Goldilocks along I couldn't push it much (OK, at all) but I felt the Traxxion bike was better than ours. On a scale of 1 to 10, with stock suspension beiong zero and worn suspension being about -3, the Trtaxxion bike was a 10, and mine is about a 7. I'm not a peg-scraper, I was looking to loose the wham-slam over the bumps and get a plusher ride. This upgrade has done this, and improved ground clearance and handling.

I still have a Traxxion fork brace in my future. The Traxxion bike had scalpel-like precision handling at low speed, and mine is not that good. I don't think shock and fork upgrades have much to do with low speed handling since you are not working the suspension much in a parking lot. I think reducing the flex in the kind of undersized forks will help.

<edit> Oh, and while you'e into the forks do the bushings, too. Dirt cheap, and they do wear..

Dave
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
638 Posts
Billy,
You may want to put an RF shield over the cruise control module while you have the top shelter off. This reduces noise in your audio system.
Safe riding.

Rick
I also ride an 05 and still have my 1981 GL1100

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe the get the speedometer fixed while everything is apart.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Replacing fork springs with Progressive (can't afford Traxxion)
Perhaps you already know, but just in case.... You can replace your springs using just the Traxxion springs for $125. You don't have to buy the whole Traxxion system.

I put 20,000 miles on my Progressives before they became too mushy. I now have over 40,000 miles on Traxxion [springs only] and they are still like new. To me, the Traxxion springs are worth the extra $35 to $40. Plus, if I ever do get the whole system, they will refund the cost of the springs.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Perhaps you already know, but just in case.... You can replace your springs using just the Traxxion springs for $125. You don't have to buy the whole Traxxion system.

I put 20,000 miles on my Progressives before they became too mushy. I now have over 40,000 miles on Traxxion [springs only] and they are still like new. To me, the Traxxion springs are worth the extra $35 to $40. Plus, if I ever do get the whole system, they will refund the cost of the springs.
:agree: HAve had mine in for about 20,000 now. Love em

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would also highly recommend the Race Tech emulators and also if you are going to get to the rear shock to get either the Progressive rear spring or Traxxion. Replacing the rear spring makes a very noticeable difference, along with bleeding and filling the preload adjuster, per Fred H.

Part of the rebuilding the front forks should absolutely include the bushings. (can't remember if you included them). Worn bushings will allow too much play in the forks.

A great wheel bearing puller is a 3/4" X 2 1/2" concrete anchor.

An inexpensive steering bearing adjuster is a Craftsman 1 11/16 socket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts