GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks and 2,000 miles later, I'm beginning to regret buying the 2018. Luckily, I still have the 2014 to go back to.

I really wanted to like it, but I'm just not feeling it.

Anybody have any psychiatric recommendations for me?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
No test ride before purchase?
No bike is for everyone.......you don't like it move on to what you enjoy.

For me, the 2018+ Goldwing is what I was waiting for from Honda for 10-years before introduction.
Enjoy what works for ya...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
2 weeks and 2,000 miles later, I'm beginning to regret buying the 2018. Luckily, I still have the 2014 to go back to.

Good move keeping the one you love while trying out the new one - it would suck to strand yourself and be missing the one you had. What is it about the GL1833 that is lacking? BTW, I just did the same thing when buying a new 2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT. I didn't know if I would like it enough to keep it or maybe replace my '08 airbag. I love the V-Strom and it is different enough to justify keeping both, but man, that GL1800 Airbag is one superb motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No test ride before purchase?
No bike is for everyone.......you don't like it move on to what you enjoy.

For me, the 2018+ Goldwing is what I was waiting for from Honda for 10-years before introduction.
Enjoy what works for ya...
No, no dealers around me had any bikes that they would let me try out. They didn't even have any used ones. Figured, how could I not like it I've been riding touring bikes for 40 years, ever since I was 19.

Probably going to hold on to it until spring time before I make my final decision.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always take around 10k miles to come to “final judgement” on a new bike. Yes I am slow. But I think the OP needs to give it more time.

I am just past 7k miles in my 22 Tour manual. I owned four Wings in the past the last one being a 2003 that was an overheater. I dumped Honda until this past Aug when I bought the 22 with no test ride. Frankly I feel test rides are useless. There is no way a proper decision can be made with a 10 mile ride.

I have had ups and downs with the 22. It is quite noisy compared to my past Wings. The around-idle growl that gets amplified by my helmet really got under my skin for awhile. We’ll that is the helmet’s fault. Riding without the helmet, the new Wing is silent and silky.

The Nav is weird, just like in my wife’s Pilot. It a Honda thing.

Yeah there are a few nits to pick. But now I’ve headed north of 7k I am starting to know the soul of the bike. It owes almost nothing to the old Wings. A completely new design.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I've got an 08 with 137+k miles, and an 18 with 37+k miles. For just a long distance slab ride, the 08 is more setup and conducive to comfy miles. For riding fun - the 18 is definitely better. Each has its positives and its negatives.

Biggest item is - what don't you like?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I liked my 2017 better than my 2021DCT Tour. But I liked my 2006 better than my 2017. As stated before, they are different bikes. I have 14,000 miles on my 2021, and it is nice, but I feel my 2006 and 2017 were better/nicer bikes for long distance touring. I would still have my 2017 if it didn't have so many problems in the first 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
I think the OP is missing nothing. The previous models are GREAT too. Maybe he can trade his new bike plus some cash to get his old one back?

prs

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Frankly I feel test rides are useless. There is no way a proper decision can be made with a 10 mile ride.
I knew within 5 minutes a K16 was not for me. Super happy I didn't make a $25K + mistake by NOT taking a test ride.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour Candy Ardent Red
37 Posts
I’ll be in the market for a 2018+ in a couple of months.Ping me if you want to sell it
Here's one that would be perfect for you 👍

·
Registered
'21 DCT Tour
1,712 Posts

I have a '21 DCT tour and previously had a '13, and a '08 before that. I always liked the previous model better until I had rode it a while. In the case of the '21 it took me about 4 months and 4 k miles. Now I totally like the '21 better than the '13. For me, after learning to use all the extra conveniences, master the DCT and learn to use the paddles, and basically just get "in tune" with the new machine. The bike is also more fuel efficient, and I think some things are easier to maintain (like replacing the front brake pads or removing the rear wheel), but the air filter is still a holy mess for me.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

Your post is hilarious.

It makes me think of a person who has gotten divorced, just re-married, and has suddenly discovered they’re unhappy with their new spouse.

And you’re asking us for advice on what to do??? 🤣

Tim

·
Registered
425 Posts
I personally never would have owned the previous hippopotamus version of the Goldwing but love my 2021 Tour DCT. To me the current Goldwing is a sportsbike compared to the previous models. I think Honda is looking at the market similar to what Harley was recently forced to do when they realized that all the old guys that were previously buying their products were dying off. This is the reason Harley decided to build the Pan America and developed the water cooled engines. I think the future is slimmer and more agile!

·
Administrator
9,513 Posts
I think the OP is missing nothing. The previous models are GREAT too. Maybe he can trade his new bike plus some cash to get his old one back?

prs
Luckily he still has his old one. Post #1.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts