·
Registered
17,810 Posts
Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
I personally never would have owned the previous hippopotamus version of the Goldwing but love my 2021 Tour DCT. To me the current Goldwing is a sportsbike compared to the previous models. I think Honda is looking at the market similar to what Harley was recently forced to do when they realized that all the old guys that were previously buying their products were dying off. This is the reason Harley decided to build the Pan America and developed the water cooled engines. I think the future is slimmer and more agile!
You never rode the old model with a Traxxion suspension...it handled every bit as good overall as this new model...where this new model shines in comparison is the lighter weight, a more rigid front end, superior wind management, better brakes, the electronics, more refined transmissions, no more ADG issues, and of coarse more modern styling....but the old model with a good suspension like Traxxion is still one awesome touring machine for a 22 year old design.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Newer isn't always better...except my "new" wife😁

My old one was "defective"🙄

As for my bikes, my 2009 VTX1300R was brand new, did not test ride, bought it off the showroom floor untested.

Saw a 2005 yellow Goldwing while out on charity ride, bought that and sold VTX.

Sold 2005 because we wanted a boat...4 years later, got tired of boat, bought a "newer" 2007, which have GPS, ABS and heat!...still no A./C😆

The newer electronic loaded bikes are turn off to me. Seem like that takes away the "essence" of a motorcycle, as I've known them to be.

They're more of a high tech riding machines and "lost" that real feelings of a motorcycle to me.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
Newer isn't always better...except my "new" wife😁

My old one was "defective"🙄

As for my bikes, my 2009 VTX1300R was brand new, did not test ride, bought it off the showroom floor untested.

Saw a 2005 yellow Goldwing while out on charity ride, bought that and sold VTX.

Sold 2005 because we wanted a boat...4 years later, got tired of boat, bought a "newer" 2007, which have GPS, ABS and heat!...still no A./C😆

The newer electronic loaded bikes are turn off to me. Seem like that takes away the "essence" of a motorcycle, as I've known them to be.

They're more of a high tech riding machines and "lost" that real feelings of a motorcycle to me.
For me, modern electronics enhance the ride and takes the riding experience to a higher level...the essence of riding is still there...modern electronics can't take that away, you can simply turn it off and your riding without it....the riding essence is better than its ever been IMO.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I personally never would have owned the previous hippopotamus version of the Goldwing but love my 2021 Tour DCT. To me the current Goldwing is a sportsbike compared to the previous models. I think Honda is looking at the market similar to what Harley was recently forced to do when they realized that all the old guys that were previously buying their products were dying off. This is the reason Harley decided to build the Pan America and developed the water cooled engines. I think the future is slimmer and more agile!
Harley did add a couple new bikes to their lineup to try to attract new markets. But I wasn't aware of them downsizing any of their touring models. Their introduction of liquid cooling in some models is to meet emissions standards. However short lived that will be.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I'm with Destindoc. I just cannot find enough things to dislike on my 2016 to have any motivation to down size to the Gen 6. However I believe the Gen 6 is an overdue step in the right direction for Honda.
For me to make an investment like this, I have to have reasons to upgrade. A desire to improve. I find that the Gen 5 fits all my riding and touring needs quite completely. The larger storage, overall performance and especially adding the Henry Final Drive! Wow!
We'll see... when I put another 200k on this one, where I'm at as far as the Gen 6. It's a fine technical improvement. But presently does not give me any special wanting "spark".

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
944 Posts
A year and 6,000 miles later, I still think my 2008, even with 127K on the clock, was more comfortable on the highway than my "new" 2018 6-speed. That said, I wouldn't go back because there are many other things I really like about the 2018. Most important, the MUCH lighter feel at low speeds will definitely extend my Goldwing riding years. The front suspension, power windscreen, full LED lighting are all huge steps forward. More power and a 25% increase in MPG are pretty sweet too. Only took about 15 minutes into the ride home to know I liked it. 😉

·
Registered
340 Posts
It’s all about perspective. I had a 2006 Nav Wing and the only thing I liked about it was two up. By myself it was way too big. Then the problem with the anti dive. Sold it for an ST1300 which was a great bike. I put cruise control on it and wished it had a gear indicator and a 6th gear. The other thing I liked about my 06 Wing was the wifey was totally for the purchase while sitting in the pillion position on the showroom floor. Fast forward and I’ve had the ST for 13 years. My wife tells me I should sell my beloved ST, but before I get angry she mentioned how much she loved the Wing and I should look into another one. Cue lightbulb over my head. I remember reading that they redesigned the wing a couple years back with a few improvements. We test drive and done. While she misses the old Barca-lounger back seat, but she likes the new seat too. But for me, it was the answer to my dreams-well except for the damn nav. So from my perspective, the slimmed down wing was more like my ST, with the pillion keeping the wife happy. Less boat like and more nimble. But I understand your perspective where you like the luxury liner. I like that I can one up it or two up and I feel the same. With the old wing one up was too much and with the ST two up wasn’t the best. So my perspective is the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the same thought as the OP when I bought my 21 GW tour, coming from an Ultra Classic. Had never ridden a Gen5 or 6 gold wing when I purchased the ‘21. There was enough about it above comfort i liked more than the Harley, so I decided to invest in the 21 to make it a day long bike.
1) Helibar risers
2) Ultimate Seat
3) Gold Strike hwy pegs

The first two upgrades were tremendous improvements. If they would not have made such a difference I would have had to sell it and look at Gen5 or go back to ultra limited.

but I’m perfectly pleased with the 21 now. I road 200 miles in 3 hrs 10 minutes and never had to get off bike. Never could have been able to do that before mods, or in the Harley.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had the same thought as the OP when I bought my 21 GW tour, coming from an Ultra Classic. Had never ridden a Gen5 or 6 gold wing when I purchased the ‘21. There was enough about it above comfort i liked more than the Harley, so I decided to invest in the 21 to make it a day long bike.
1) Helibar risers
2) Ultimate Seat
3) Gold Strike hwy pegs

The first two upgrades were tremendous improvements. If they would not have made such a difference I would have had to sell it and look at Gen5 or go back to ultra limited.

but I’m perfectly pleased with the 21 now. I road 200 miles in 3 hrs 10 minutes and never had to get off bike. Never could have been able to do that before mods, or in the Harley.
Nailed it perfectly! Made the exact same three modifications to turn my 2020 Tour MT into the near perfect Goldwing (otherwise posing as a BMW R1200 RT wannabe). Most recently came off a 2015 40th Anniversary, and honestly do not miss the heavy weight, and abysmal suspension set up that loves to wallow. The only Gen6 complaint is onboard electronics, particularly the nav -- something perhaps one might find on a Yugo should it ever be brought back into production.

And I plan to add a belly pan at the next oil change. LOL

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
A year and 6,000 miles later, I still think my 2008, even with 127K on the clock, was more comfortable on the highway than my "new" 2018 6-speed. That said, I wouldn't go back because there are many other things I really like about the 2018. Most important, the MUCH lighter feel at low speeds will definitely extend my Goldwing riding years. The front suspension, power windscreen, full LED lighting are all huge steps forward. More power and a 25% increase in MPG are pretty sweet too. Only took about 15 minutes into the ride home to know I liked it. 😉
My 2003 with all the comfort mods I did was a very comfortable machine..900 miles days was very comfortable.

With this 2018 all I've done is added a RDL seat and 900 mile days are every bit as comfortable as the old model for me.

At 5'10" the ergonomics with the 2018 model are better suited to me than with the old model...add the tiny bit of extra seat height that the RDL seat gives and its amazing how much of a difference those small changes with the angles makes with my knee comfortable on my 2018 compared to my 2003...I don't even need highway pegs with this 2018 dispite being 10 years older now.

·
Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
149 Posts
Here's one that would be perfect for you 👍

Beautiful bike with great goodies but $24k is over my head.
Plus I need to sell my current bike first.
Thanks for the offer though

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
2 weeks and 2,000 miles later, I'm beginning to regret buying the 2018. Luckily, I still have the 2014 to go back to.

I really wanted to like it, but I'm just not feeling it.

Anybody have any psychiatric recommendations for me?
I hear you and at times I also agree. For me, it was just a case of keep moving forward. Burn a 2014 and keep moving....:)

21 - 40 of 124 Posts