GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
159 Posts
Personally, I disagree with posters like #41 above saying your problem is you didn't buy the dct - the old GW's didn't have a scooter transmission either. If you want/need one - Suzuki Burgman's are great. Similarly, by the time a fellow or gal can afford a Corvette, they're in their late sixties or seventies and want a nice easy automatic - you see them happy as larks as you pass them cruising in the slow lane at 55. They're also the same folks that put on every accessory available in the Honda catalogue - and then start looking at the JC Whitney GW section. Sorry for the jab but I saw the opening and went for it. I know how to shift gears and for me, that's part of the riding experience. If its not for you - then buy the DCT - but don't assume anyone that chooses a manual is crazy. Back to the discussion - if I had to select only one bit of advice to you before you make a keep-sell decision it'd be to get a wider windscreen. If others were available I'd mention them but California Scientific makes significantly wider shields that vastly improve the crummy wind management of the stock 2018+ GW's. Coming from a 2008 HD ultra classic - I was very disappointed by the wind management on my 2019 tour - take your hand off the grip and your arm blows back sideways - it's poor protection. Putting on a handful of overpriced cigarette sized pieces of plastic Honda or others sell to improve wind management is futile, expensive and ugly. My advice.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Whingeing about the suitability of a particular motorcycle to meeting one’s wants, needs and preferences in a hobby is an exercise in futility.

Every owner in this hobby chooses a motorcycle of their own volition, and has the choice to adapt to it’s inherent characteristics over time, modify it to address the characteristics one dislikes, or simply realize the motorcycle didn’t meet one’s needs and desires and move on to something else.

Tim

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Was not a serious post, gees! My last 2 bikes were a vtx 1300 and a cbr 1000. I love the dct. Call me lazy and I just don't want to shift a hundred times a day. Even on a sportbike, I think it would be cool! But, That's just me. Not looking to win any races
The Porsche 911 owners who do want to win races all choose the PDK (aka DCT) transmission.

Tim

·
Registered
148 Posts
Personally, I disagree with posters like #41 above saying your problem is you didn't buy the dct - the old GW's didn't have a scooter transmission either. If you want/need one - Suzuki Burgman's are great. Similarly, by the time a fellow or gal can afford a Corvette, they're in their late sixties or seventies and want a nice easy automatic - you see them happy as larks as you pass them cruising in the slow lane at 55. They're also the same folks that put on every accessory available in the Honda catalogue - and then start looking at the JC Whitney GW section. Sorry for the jab but I saw the opening and went for it. I know how to shift gears and for me, that's part of the riding experience. If its not for you - then buy the DCT - but don't assume anyone that chooses a manual is crazy. Back to the discussion - if I had to select only one bit of advice to you before you make a keep-sell decision it'd be to get a wider windscreen. If others were available I'd mention them but California Scientific makes significantly wider shields that vastly improve the crummy wind management of the stock 2018+ GW's. Coming from a 2008 HD ultra classic - I was very disappointed by the wind management on my 2019 tour - take your hand off the grip and your arm blows back sideways - it's poor protection. Putting on a handful of overpriced cigarette sized pieces of plastic Honda or others sell to improve wind management is futile, expensive and ugly. My advice.
So the DCT makes it a scooter and a bigger windscreen makes it a real motorcycle? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
So the DCT makes it a scooter and a bigger windscreen makes it a real motorcycle? :rolleyes:
I just find it ironic a Harley owner is making fun of Wing owners and their propensity to “accessorize.”

As far as I know, no Honda dealer has designated “Accessories Consultants” as I’m led to believe is the practice at some Harley stores. :)

Tim

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Humm....you may want to purchase the Honda wind deflectors that mount under the mirrors, they really make a huge difference in airflow. I put close to 100k on my 08 and now 30k on my 18. I feel like the 18 actually handles as good or better in hard cross winds than the 08 (think South Dakota or Oklahoma) as it is a bit smaller machine overall. No doubt the previous Wing has a bigger front end which is a blessing in cold weather but a curse on hot days, I prefer more air flow as I can always dress for cold weather but when it's hot-I'll pass on the Wing and ride my Super Tenere for even better air flow to keep a bit cooler.

For the OP, it took me a while to warm up to the 18 but now I'm pleased with it. Best part about all this is if the newest gen Wing isn't for you sell it. Plenty of older ones you can pick up and have money left over.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hardwarewace, now don’t hold back on us buddy, tell us what you really think!! LOL

I love my manual and looked specifically for a used M6. I will say I’ve been in sitting traffic and with my hand condition (dupuytrens syndrome), if I commuted in such traffic often I would have to consider an auto. Other that that, I love clutching on the twisties.

I also came from 2008 Ultra Classic. I don’t have any complaints about the 21 GW wind protection. I don’t like all the add-on “winglets” either. Don’t know what the big deal is on complete wind coverage. I like some wind on me.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If you can keep both, do so. I like my 2010 way more than my 2018, especially for long distances. I had to modify everything that I touch while riding except for the foot pegs just to ride a long ride and not be in pain after. The only three comfort items I had to do on my 2010 (and prior Wings) were a backrest, shaped neoprene grip covers, and highway pegs and be ready for a 1,000 mile day. I bought my 2018 because I wanted to slow down the miles on my Tour bike with its current 213K miles. So, I bought a Sport Tour bike (why I call it my ST-1800). If Honda had made a new ST, I would have bought it. Oh, wait, they are making one again, only calling it a "GoldWing". After 3 years and over 50K miles, I am well past the "get used to it to like it" phase. It is just not my long distance (multiple day) bike.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I dunno OP, I may be crazy, but I got exactly what I wanted (except for the seat concern) and I'm happy. Of course, I like scotch... YMMV. Well, I also like beer, women of questionable moral fiber, red meat, and, of course, motorcycles. If it don't make you happy man, then why are you doing it?

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
159 Posts
Was not a serious post, gees! My last 2 bikes were a vtx 1300 and a cbr 1000. I love the dct. Call me lazy and I just don't want to shift a hundred times a day. Even on a sportbike, I think it would be cool! But, That's just me. Not looking to win any races
CC - my response to yours was tongue in cheek as well. No harm meant to anyone and hopefully, none caused.

·
Registered
304 Posts
2 weeks and 2,000 miles later, I'm beginning to regret buying the 2018. Luckily, I still have the 2014 to go back to.

I really wanted to like it, but I'm just not feeling it.

Anybody have any psychiatric recommendations for me?
trade it in / sell it and make a few bucks. Still more demand than supply. Gen 7s will probably start at 40K plus!!

Alternately do what I did. I kept my 2015 40th anniversary and triked it with a Motortrike Prowler kit. I've currently put 37K miles on it and love it. for a mere 35K for my 21 and another 20K for the conversion:):) I'm now a happy camper...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's one that would be perfect for you 👍

Glad to finally hear from someone with the trunk relocator. Now that it has been installed and assuming you are familiar with it, how long does it take to take off?....and then how long to put back on? I have a 2021 DCT with the larger trunk and considered this but seemed laborious to remove and reinstall. I had these types of kits on my Harley Ultras and they were about 5 min. tops off or on. And most of that was simply pulling out the additional wiring plugs from under the seat and attaching or detaching as the case may be.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don’t like all the add-on “winglets” either. Don’t know what the big deal is on complete wind coverage. I like some wind on me.
Me too, until it's a 35 degree morning. Then my hands are real pleased with the winglets and heated grips.

They work to block the wind too.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
Me too, until it's a 35 degree morning. Then my hands are real pleased with the winglets and heated grips.

They work to block the wind too.
No need for the winglets with heated gloves. I also use the heated grips with my heated gloves when it's really cold and my hands are always warm.

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
236 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dct on the Gl and the 911 are different. the shift points on the Gl are not exactly perfect. IDK what the porsche is like
I have driven a Porsche DCT. The behavior of that transmission is very similar to the GW DCT in most respects.

Reactions: valkyrie62 and T-88
41 - 60 of 124 Posts