GL1800Riders Forums banner
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

Registered
Well I wouldn't say the gl dct is one to win races. I'm just saying I bought the dct cause I like the no shifting. If I want to race I would go on the cbr that does around 90 in first gear

Registered
Newer isn't always better...except my "new" wife馃榿

My old one was "defective"馃檮

As for my bikes, my 2009 VTX1300R was brand new, did not test ride, bought it off the showroom floor untested.

Saw a 2005 yellow Goldwing while out on charity ride, bought that and sold VTX.

Sold 2005 because we wanted a boat...4 years later, got tired of boat, bought a "newer" 2007, which have GPS, ABS and heat!...still no A./C馃槅

The newer electronic loaded bikes are turn off to me. Seem like that takes away the "essence" of a motorcycle, as I've known them to be.

They're more of a high tech riding machines and "lost" that real feelings of a motorcycle to me.
Agree. Too many gadgets to cause trouble as they age.

Registered
I much prefer my 2020 DCT Tour over my previous GoldWing. I had sold my '88 and thought my Wing days were behind me until Honda came out with the Gen6. After 14,000 miles, the only thing I miss is the more comfortable seat.

Registered
2022 Goldwing Tour DCT
2 weeks and 2,000 miles later, I'm beginning to regret buying the 2018. Luckily, I still have the 2014 to go back to.

I really wanted to like it, but I'm just not feeling it.

Anybody have any psychiatric recommendations for me?
I recently bought my first Goldwing, a 2022 tour DCT . I came from Harley鈥檚 and BMW鈥檚, all great bikes . I really like this bike but can鈥檛 compare to previous iterations since I haven鈥檛 owned one before . I had lunch with my adult daughter last week and she ask how I like the Goldwing. I said I love it ! She said Dad you always said you鈥檇 never own a Goldwing . I replied 鈥 well this is one awesome bike 鈥. It is what it is ! I would say to the thread starter , sell your Wing and go shopping for something else . There are other great bikes out there and life is too short not to ride one where you 鈥榝eel it鈥 in spades. Look at the Indian Challenger or the BMW K1600 , both are awesome bikes

Registered
I always take around 10k miles to come to 鈥渇inal judgement鈥 on a new bike. Yes I am slow. But I think the OP needs to give it more time.

I am just past 7k miles in my 22 Tour manual. I owned four Wings in the past the last one being a 2003 that was an overheater. I dumped Honda until this past Aug when I bought the 22 with no test ride. Frankly I feel test rides are useless. There is no way a proper decision can be made with a 10 mile ride.

I have had ups and downs with the 22. It is quite noisy compared to my past Wings. The around-idle growl that gets amplified by my helmet really got under my skin for awhile. We鈥檒l that is the helmet鈥檚 fault. Riding without the helmet, the new Wing is silent and silky.

The Nav is weird, just like in my wife鈥檚 Pilot. It a Honda thing.

Yeah there are a few nits to pick. But now I鈥檝e headed north of 7k I am starting to know the soul of the bike. It owes almost nothing to the old Wings. A completely new design.
[/QUOTE
2 weeks and 2,000 miles later, I'm beginning to regret buying the 2018. Luckily, I still have the 2014 to go back to.

My psychiatric recommendation would be to ride more! I鈥檓 on my forth Goldwing, 鈥12, 18, 21 now 22! Love this motorcycle! I test drove the 18 when they first came out. The dealer had both DCT and clutch models ready for me to test ride when I got there. I took the DCT for about an hour or so drive and when I got back I didn鈥檛 need to test the clutch version as I WAS SOLD! I ride almost everyday, I have driven about 60,000 miles on the new style Wing. Besides the factory nav which sucks I have google and Apple Maps from car play to rely on to get me everywhere. And the stereo which sucks, I have mounted boat cans with 8 inch speakers and an amp under my seat. And some highway boards and an air hawk for my seat I can and do go everywhere. What鈥檚 not to like? Super fast, great gas mileage, comfortable, and. I no clutch for my soon to be arthritic left hand (64 years old) My 2012 was also a great bike by the new models are far superior in my opinion. Can鈥檛 imagine ever wanting a different bike!

Registered

I would have gone to the gen6 bike if the Traxxion hadn鈥檛 transformed my 2010 into a different machine.

Registered
You're not alone, David. We've discussed this multiple times. Truth is, though they have relatively similar engines, they are two completely different motorcycles. Many have wished Honda had continued making the one while beginning to offer the other, sort of an "overlap;" at least for a few years.
Kawasaki did that with the Voyager. The 1300 inline 6 Voyager was in the showrooms from 1983-1989. The younger brother 1200 inline 4 (Voyager XII) came along in 1986-2003. The XII is on the top, the 1300 is on the bottom. Interesting story why Kawasaki would go with a smaller bike model when the trend in the motorcycle world is to be bigger and better each year.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Registered
My psychiatric recommendation would be to ride more! I鈥檓 on my forth Goldwing, 鈥12, 18, 21 now 22! Love this motorcycle! I test drove the 18 when they first came out. The dealer had both DCT and clutch models ready for me to test ride when I got there. I took the DCT for about an hour or so drive and when I got back I didn鈥檛 need to test the clutch version as I WAS SOLD! I ride almost everyday, I have driven about 60,000 miles on the new style Wing. Besides the factory nav which sucks I have google and Apple Maps from car play to rely on to get me everywhere. And the stereo which sucks, I have mounted boat cans with 8 inch speakers and an amp under my seat. And some highway boards and an air hawk for my seat I can and do go everywhere. What鈥檚 not to like? Super fast, great gas mileage, comfortable, and. I no clutch for my soon to be arthritic left hand (64 years old) My 2012 was also a great bike by the new models are far superior in my opinion. Can鈥檛 imagine ever wanting a different bike!
No disrespect, but you have had four bikes in ten years, 3 in the last five, It would appear that you're still searching for something it's missing. When most people love something they tend to want to keep it around for a while. Of course I know we are all individuals and not "most people " and there are circumstances that would require a replacement, and that we are all free to spend our hard earned money the way we see fit. I just found the post a little odd.

Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
I would have gone to the gen6 bike if the Traxxion hadn鈥檛 transformed my 2010 into a different machine.
My 2003 had the full Traxxion suspension with aluminum trees and yes that is how Honda should had sold the bike...what a amazing machine when setup like that...the old model when setup with a good suspension is still a very nice machine being a 22 year old design.

Registered

I felt the same way when I initially purchased 18 Tour Manual, but I sold my 07 GL1800 airbag so I couldn't go back. After riding it for several months consistently, I felt reassured that I had made the right decision. IMO, there is no question that my 07 was more comfortable and had significantly more storage space. However, that's where it ends. 18 is more technologically advanced and maneuvering the bike through any kind of slow speed or congested traffic requires much less effort. That being said, I don't think it's wise to keep things around if it doesn't provide the satisfaction for which it was intended. Good luck with your decision and stay safe!

Registered

Same here. I bought a 2018 6 speed tourer. It isn't even close to my 2004 Goldwing. My 04 Goldwing has 110K on it and it is STILL, faster, better handling, smoother, quieter, , etc. My 04 just falls into every corner, while you have to counter steer the 18 into any sharp corner. The 04 is much more comfy, A fair analogy would be riding my 04 on a winding road is like dancing with a ballerina. Riding the 2018 on a winding road it like line dancing with someone who in not quite sure how to line dance.

That being said, the 2018 Goldwing is not actually a GOLDWING. I had a ST1100 and this 2018 is it"s big brother.

ENTER the new ST 1800. When I think of my 2018 as a Goldwing it SUCKS.. When I think of it an ST1800, I like it

I do like the GPS, the 6 speed, the gear indicator, the adjustable windscreen, the seating position, etc, etc, etc. It's a bike with many wonderful new features. So all is not lost.

Therefore my license plate for my new 2018 Honda is: "ST1800".

Final thoughts: If you want a bike for a long trip. The 04 is the bike, period! If you want an 1800 to play with for a day or two and are willing to put in extra efforts to get it to perform, AND a bike that will TURN HEADS all day long. The 2018 is for you.

Thank God, I have them both. That is what they call a: "WIN, WIN" situation!

Registered
In Aug this year I traded in my 07 for a used 2018 clutch GW. If the used bike was a DCT I would have passed it up. There are things I like about the 07 that I don't have with the 18. The big one I could put two helmets into the trunk with the 07 which I can't with the 18. But I love have 100 less pounds in the weight and I love getting 10 mpg more now that gas is $5 per gallon.

Registered
Kawasaki did that with the Voyager. The 1300 inline 6 Voyager was in the showrooms from 1983-1989. The younger brother 1200 inline 4 (Voyager XII) came along in 1986-2003. The XII is on the top, the 1300 is on the bottom. Interesting story why Kawasaki would go with a smaller bike model when the trend in the motorcycle world is to be bigger and better each year.
I owned a 2000 Voyager 12, and put over 50k miles on it before trading it for a 2003 Wing in that year. I loved the Voyager for its absolute reliability. When my Dad was dying from Cancer, I rode the Voyager repeatedly between Albuquerque and Phoenix in a lotta hot weather over a period of a year. The Voyager was one of the only bikes I've ever owned that gave me utterly no trouble whatever. Except for that 70 mph rear end howl....

It was a big bike, and the V13 was even bigger, especially wider. I have no idea why Kaw eventually dropped the V13. On the Kaw forums in those days there were a few V13 owners who believed theirs was the ultimate bike. There were several differences between the V12 and the V13 apart from power train. Kawasaki endowed the V13 with some advanced stuff compared to the V12.

Registered

Same here. I just feel like the quality has gone to pot on the new generation. I have the 2018 and had 3 previous wings. The other wings I would lean thru corners and drag the foot pegs all the time. This 2018 is stiff, a little clumsy. I've had to adjust the cable for the reverse 3 times, last a short time then stops working again. The GPS is about useless, the cruise control is cheap. I'm sticking with it since I can't afford to replace it.

Registered
Same here. I just feel like the quality has gone to pot on the new generation. I have the 2018 and had 3 previous wings. The other wings I would lean thru corners and drag the foot pegs all the time. This 2018 is stiff, a little clumsy. I've had to adjust the cable for the reverse 3 times, last a short time then stops working again. The GPS is about useless, the cruise control is cheap. I'm sticking with it since I can't afford to replace it.
Can鈥檛 afford to replace it??

Sell it, buy a used, low mileage 2017 or older, (there are plenty around), end up with money in your pocket and eternal happiness.

Tim

Registered
I liked my 2004 wing. Good bike and liked riding it. I now have a 2018 Tour DCT and love riding it. No issues riding hard, tracks well right up to hard parts. But if I get back on the previous generation wing, I feel like I'm getting on a fat bike now. The previous gen is huge to me now compared to the new gen.. I won't be going back.

Registered
2022 Goldwing Tour DCT
Can鈥檛 afford to replace it??

Sell it, buy a used, low mileage 2017 or older, (there are plenty around), end up with money in your pocket and eternal happiness.

Tim
Ditto on this recommendation ! Years ago my Mother had a Lincoln Continental that she had been driving for about 10 years . It was one of those big boxy body styles . My Dad decided that he was going to get her a new Lincoln for her birthday. He calls me and says 鈥 Son you won鈥檛 believe the price of new Lincoln鈥榮 and besides your Mom doesn鈥檛 like the new body style nor the way it drives鈥! Sooo, a few months later that Lincoln was totally transformed with new carpet, new white interior leather seats, new vinyl roof and a paint job . My Mom drove that car for another ten years ! I realize this story is not a perfect analogy but there is a solution to the thread starter鈥檚 issue and you Sir laid it out nicely.

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag

David, Is it the DCT that you're not liking? I love my 2018 DCT, but some riders miss the more intimitate relationship with the machine that comes with working the MT. Also, and, for me (see immediately above: I love my 2018 DCT), this iteration is somehow less motorcycly, I think because it's so smooth and so integrated.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts