GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been broken down, beaten and degraded by our son. We have decided to get him a Xbox for Xmas. We always have said no way. But here is the reason. He keeps going down to his friends houses to play on thiers, and who knows what they are playing. He is going to pay this thing somewhere, its just inevitable. So we decided if we get him one we can monitor what he is playing. Plus I can have some fun also.
I know of Overstock.com, what other sites are out there that sales stuff like this?

C

·
0 Posts
My 2 cents...
Id go to Best buy, or some major retailer.
the reason is they offer service plans for this thing. I know of more than a few horror stories about tese things (xbox/ps2/ps3/gamecubes) that die for whatever reason. and its nice to have that comfort factor of a service plan.
Sure its not as cheap as mail order, but by the time you add shipping your not sving very much, and as I said get the plan for service

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Steven, If you are looking to get the XBOX 360 the price is pretty much set in stone, there are some offering bundled games and extra controllers. I would highly recommend you get the deluxe version which is $399 but includes the hard drive and other acc that would cost more to add later to the $299 "base" unit. The price is like Bose products and not much in the line of discounts in the searches I have done.
Try looking on http://www.pricegrabber.com

·
Registered
430 Posts
Amazon has free shipping. You also save bucks by avoiding dreaded sales tax.

I have also heard some 'horror stories' about the brick and mortor stores like Best Buy.

I just bought a 46' LCD HDTV through Amazon. How's that for brave? Few weeks ago bought a toilet via internet. Bought lots of stuff via internet with never a problem.

p.s. Earlier versions of the XBox were prone to failure because many would set them on the carpet, thereby blocking the ventilation. Wasn't good for the carpet either from what I gathered. They needed to be on a hard, flat surface. Don't know if that's the case now.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For starters I hate BestBuy. Worst customer service of any company I have dealt with, except for HitNMiss inc. LOL.

Amazon was the most expensive so far, Walmart seems to be the cheapest. However they are all within $20.00 bucks of each other. I guess it would be smarter to do it online and save the sales tax. 7% of $ 400.00 is alot of money.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I get my prices from on-line sources like J&R and then bring the price to HHGreg or Brandsmart; they almost always beat it.

You've got Fry's over by the Gwinett Place Mall (next to the BMW dealer---go check out the new M3; Daddy needs a Christmas present too). Fry's has EVERYTHING, usually at great prices.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My friend Brad was telling me about Fry's today. They just opened one up at Windward, not too ar from the house. I will check them out also.

I would love a new M3. I dearly miss mine. The new one will be a V8 pumping 425 horses. Oh Boy.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Toyo said:
My friend Brad was telling me about Fry's today. They just opened one up at Windward, not too ar from the house. I will check them out also.

I would love a new M3. I dearly miss mine. The new one will be a V8 pumping 425 horses. Oh Boy.
A new Fry's? Where's Windward?
I love that store... ...I'm such a geek.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Toyo,

Goggle "xbox" and you'll get a bunch of hits. Try some of those and you should get a good idea of the best price you can find.

By the way, I never let my sons have video games (this was back in the 80's and 90's). They complained but I held fast. It worked for me, but I see your point with your son.

Sounds to me like you are making a great choice by keeping him in your house while he is playing the games.

Any parent who chooses to do things with his/her child is making the right choice.

Bob E.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Try Costco or Sam's Club - they normally have a better "package" for the price.

Also, I would recommend buying local in case something doesn't work - easier to exchange especially since it will be your SON's XMAS present!

Best Regards,

Shane

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Toyo,

I know you said XBOX, but double check with your son or wife as to which system they really want!! There is also an XBOX360, which employs new and better resolution and graphics... I am only saying this not to avoid tears and despair when he opens on Christmas day...

Oh and BTW with the XBOX360 you can newtork to your computer wirelessly and play your music and photo librarys through your home entertainment system.... Good for Mom and Dad!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :xmas1:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Robeth, My son is a very outside kinda kid. He does not even watch 3 hours of Tv a week. He just doesnt like it. He does however love to watch CSI with me. LOL. He does however like to go to a couple of his friends house because they sit there and play Xbox. These parents just let there kids sit inside and play it all day. Just blows my mind. We will only get games that are not violent, and maybe some that can teach at the same time. He will only get so much time a week to play it, thats for sure.

Bill, Windward Pkwy is off 400. I believe its exit 11. The new Fry's is at teh corner of Hwy 9 and Windward. Right across from the Coscto.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Toyo.......

I'm sitting on 2 dozen PS-3's here at the store. Can't give'em away up here in Wisconsin............... :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
A new Fry's? Where's Windward?
I love that store... ...I'm such a geek.
Let me address both these statements.....first off FYI Fry's don't take American Express, and as for the second statement........I noticed that! :wink:

W

·
0 Posts
CAREFUL........fellows, I believe Best Buy charges a return on electronics fee.

Just bought a portable DVD player for my son to use on some his long
business flights.
Cheapest for a 8" screen and 5hour battery life I found was from Sam's Club.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Be very carefull buying the new XBOX on EBAY. Lots of scams on this item due to limited availability and emotional folks making purchases.

Dawg

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Toyo said:
Bill, Windward Pkwy is off 400. I believe its exit 11. The new Fry's is at teh corner of Hwy 9 and Windward. Right across from the Coscto.
I thought you meant something up in Gainesville; I know Windward Parkway. Thanks --- when do you wanna go?
I need a plasma set for above the fireplace...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts