GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, what are the most useful tools for working on your Goldwing. The reason I am asking is I am stock piling a bunch of accessories that I will install in the winter (pathfinder cowl and fog lights, tie downs, traxxion tie rod, etc) . I am trying to be prepared to make it as easy as possible on myself since I am NOT a natural born mechanic.

I guess I am looking for anything that is helpful. I've ordered the OEM filter with the filter wrench included, I got a set of picks for pushing in the body clips and fishing out o-rings, planning on installing speed bleeders. Just rambling here and musing.

Let me know your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
5 & 6 MM Allen socket. I like the long version for the seat and fork drain. Wrenches and sockets in 8,10,12 & 14. There’s a 22 MM wrench for my axle bolt and 19 MM socket for my rear lugs. 17 MM, I think for final drive drain and fill plug. T35, iirc, for the left brake caliper. Japan uses a special Phillips screwdriver that grabs better but the name eludes me. Standard Phillips do the job though.
Wire cutters, strippers and crimper as well as a few other pliers. Flashlight, an extendable magnet, various length socket extensions complete the kit. Time and patience would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
891 Posts
5 & 6 MM Allen socket. I like the long version for the seat and fork drain. Wrenches and sockets in 8,10,12 & 14. There’s a 22 MM wrench for my axle bolt and 19 MM socket for my rear lugs. Japan uses a special Phillips screwdriver that grabs better but the name eludes me.
Wire cutters, strippers and crimper as well as a few other pliers. Flashlight, an extendable magnet various length socket extensions complete the kit. Time and patience would help.

That screwdriver is a JIS type (technically not a Phillips/Jorgensen). Japan Industrial Standard.
If you’re trying to get out a screw that appears to be a Philips but it keeps wanting to slip or just not bite, likely a JIS.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Thank you. I was thinking Jorgensen but knew that wasn’t right

·
Registered
891 Posts
As the title says, what are the most useful tools for working on your Goldwing. The reason I am asking is I am stock piling a bunch of accessories that I will install in the winter (pathfinder cowl and fog lights, tie downs, traxxion tie rod, etc) . I am trying to be prepared to make it as easy as possible on myself since I am NOT a natural born mechanic.

I guess I am looking for anything that is helpful. I've ordered the OEM filter with the filter wrench included, I got a set of picks for pushing in the body clips and fishing out o-rings, planning on installing speed bleeders. Just rambling here and musing.

Let me know your thoughts.
Putty knife, tape covered mini-crowbar, or a set of nylon pry tools to get off tupperware.
Knee pad
Broken down refrigerator box to lay on
About 10-12 quart sized containers (e.g., old dip or cottage cheese) to organize various screws taken off.
Digital volt-ohmmeter
Vacuum

·
Registered
59 Posts
5mm hex, 6mm hex. 10mm box end open end wrench. I put together a set of tools for pulling the wheels, just in case and carry on my bike. Almost all the threaded fasteners seem to be 5mm hex. 6mm for the seat. I believe the 10 fits the front wheel axle clamps and the rear fender fasteners. I don't remember offhand the socket size for rear lugs or the front axle. I think the only other tools I've used are the ones to pull the oil drain plug and dct filter retainer. Probably a 12mm and an 8mm socket.
I've stripped down the front half of the bike with the 5mm, 6mm, and small philips screwdriver. I haven't tackled the trunk or saddlebags. I'd say you need a set of hex wrenches, ratchet and metric sockets both 1/4 and 3/8 drive. Good screwdrivers, don't use a cheap philips head. I use the smallest drive ratchet to avoid over torqueing. Most of the fasteners have very low torque values so try to find out what they are ahead of time and get the feel of it.
I did purchase Fred's videos and have a digital copy of the 18 service manual. That will cut down the learning curve on removing the plastic.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Like totalcomfort said, patience, and common sense. Note; common sense requires at least one brain cell that functions correctly.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Metric tools.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The most useful kit I've used for any Japanese bike is the Cruz tool mini ratchet set. The ratchet is about four inches long so you don't tend to strip anything. I have two tool boxes full of metric, SAE and even some Whitworth. That little gray box does more than half the work.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts