GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what this is?
I have 2 single
LED lights under the front of the fairing facing forward, one is clear and one is dark Red, (I think,) in color. They are tied to switches on the right side of the dash (after market switches).
I can't post pics, too stupid.
anyone?
This GW is new to me, PO passed away, so no asking him.
Picture added below.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Something the PO added, alarm indicators or whatever. Not standard GW equipment.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible that it had a wig wag front light or something and these determined if it was day or night?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Possible they could be photo diodes but wouldn't explain having two. PDs are usually clear.

A setup like that is often used in an infrared transceiver pair but can't think what that would be doing on the front of the bike.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You didn't say anthing about what else is connected to those after market switches, but tracing those should give you an idea what they were used for. The aftermarket accessory options are huge so they could be for just about anything. Have you turned on either switch to see what they might do?

If I was to wager a guess, I think those lights indicate application of power to whatever accessory the switch is hooked up to. If they are fuzed correctly (always a gamble if done by the previous owner), then the worst that will happen is that you might blow a fuze.

What they do could be amost anything. If the switches are hooked to 12VDC on one side and only go to the LEDs on the other, then whatever was being powered by the switches has been removed. In that case, you have part of the work done if you want to add any farkle of your choosing.

One possibility of the use of the clear LED might be a battery voltage indicator like I have on my bike. When the voltage is too low/high, it glows red, if it is marginally low/high, it glows yellow, and if it is within the normal range, it glows green. It appears to be clear when no power is applied. When you first turn on the ignition key, it will glow yellor or red. When you start the bike mine goes yellow for a few seconds and then transitions to green. I located mine down in the fork tunnel but within eye shot without moving my helmel. That way it is shielded from direct sunlight so I can see it under most circumstances without shielding it with my hand.

Just look at this situation as a learning experience for your bike and a personal adventure puzzle to figure out what they might do. :excited::popcorn:

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
remote start sensor:22yikes:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Is it at least possible that the previous owner put them in just to mess with your head?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I can't ask him, he is no longer on this earth. Although, I do feel like he is with me when I ride, just don't know how to communicate with him. :roll:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you tried them? Do they work? Is anything else tied to the switches?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The switch turns on the clear LED but, I don't see anything else happening.
The other after market switch I found out, turns the head light high beam wig wag on or off.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
maybe lower running lights? Alot of guys put those on switches.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep them coming we might hit on something.
I did take it to my local dealer ( who is very good ) today, he had no idea what it might be. :shock:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Unfortunately I can't ask him, he is no longer on this earth. Although, I do feel like he is with me when I ride, just don't know how to communicate with him. :roll:
Try texting him.I get text from strangers all the time.:shrug:

I'd say those are low blinker fluid/Hazard switch sticking warning LED's very clever if you think about it. :thumbup:

Edited to add:
I had a 1500 that the PO had died of Alzheimer's.I guess he liked country music,because he was always screwing around with the radio stations when I rode the bike.Bugged the hell out of me-that little chit!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
1. As suggested-try tracing the wiring from the one switch that turns on the white led.
2. One must be the photo cell for the headlight modulator(better not be a wigwag:eek:4:, not legal and will get you stopped for sure)
This is very interesting. After you trace the wiring from the switch or from the cluster under the fairing, let us know

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sensor for modulated headlights and white light to activate sensor at night?

Try turning on the switches at night when the modulated headlights wouldn't normally work and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts