GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they clip in at the top rear of the valve cover, they are clear plastic on each side of the bike, and what are they far,
are they needed. by the way its a 02 goldwing... bobkat

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
bobkat 1 said:
they clip in at the top rear of the valve cover, they are clear plastic on each side of the bike, and what are they far,
I believe they are just air deflectors... and you'll be fine without them if you don't want to replace them.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
From the parts fiche:
Look under: CYLINDER HEAD COVER

SPOILER, R. SIDE
83530-MCA-000 001 $3.05

SPOILER, L. SIDE
83580-MCA-000 001 $3.05

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
bobkat 1 said:
Funny you mention that. I just replaced the right side on mine and thought it was a fluke it happened. No idea how it happened or when.

BTW the price list is correct but the shipping cost more than the part.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I use those little clear plastic "spoilers" to assist in installing my chrome engine side covers. By pulling outward with your thumb, it aligns the forward slotted grommet with the slotted hole in the cover. Thought that was the primary reason for them.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Jobber Jim said:
I use those little clear plastic "spoilers" to assist in installing my chrome engine side covers. By pulling outward with your thumb, it aligns the forward slotted grommet with the slotted hole in the cover. Thought that was the primary reason for them.
Zactly! That is how I use them. They are purposeful.

Herb

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have knocked mine loose during cleaning a time or two. Barely noticed they had fallen off, so it appears it's easy to do.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Way back when the 1800s were new, some of those little thingees left, and a few reported that the wind would get under the front of the chrome covers, lift the cover out of the tab, and the cover would go down the road without the bike. Have not heard of that in the last three or four years, but now there are lots of opera lights in their place.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Without one or both of these little clear plastic devices your GL1800 will wobble terribly upon decelerating around 35 MPH and your hands off the handlebars !!! Your tires will wear unevenly, cupping badly. Your engine will overheat and probably burn more oil. Worse .... your frame may actually CRACK as important weld points.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
actually it causes the air to radiate irradicallly enought to the point of the osmoses of the hugamuggin won't align with the flabberdabbler to make the remote start engage as directed in a afore mentioned directive.

A

·
0 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
From the parts fiche:
Look under: CYLINDER HEAD COVER

SPOILER, R. SIDE
83530-MCA-000 001 $3.05

SPOILER, L. SIDE
83580-MCA-000 001 $3.05
Got mine replaced under warrantee. Dealer had them in stock.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
They should be replaced every time you replace the crush washer !!! New ones will improve gas mileage !! :lol:

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Not to ruin all the fun but my dealer told me they were for re-directing rain water away from your legs. Apparently the water runs right back along the flat strip in front of those deflectors and without them would soak your legs. Made sense to me.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
weengers said:
Not to ruin all the fun but my dealer told me they were for re-directing rain water away from your legs. Apparently the water runs right back along the flat strip in front of those deflectors and without them would soak your legs. Made sense to me.
Exactly. They are rain guards..... run once in the rain without 'em.... Honda don't like to waste money on something with no purpose... well, most times anyway (anti-dive?) ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts