GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put together some comparison/training videos highlighting some of the most-commonly used features of the iWay, 2720, 2820 & Zumo. They won't be complete 'user-interface' videos, just snippets that show how these functions are utilized on each of these units.

I'm thinking things like searching for an address, finding POIs (which POIs do you find yourself searching for the most?), creating/modifying routes (on the units themselves, to start), changing display screen settings, etc.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Ok, I'll bite.

#1. visual check of route progress.
#2. visual check of where I am.
#3. create and modify routes.
#4. finding POI's or addresses while out on the bike.

David M.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
On the vacation rides (Mexico, Yellowstone National park, Alaska etc.) I use it to:
1. Listen to music. A lot of music.
2. See how long (time and distance both) to next planned stop. (Also used to find a place to eat a few times.)
3. If hungery or thirsty before next stop to see when/where next alternate on route might be.
4. To navigate to addresses (could never find Jon's place without it or a paper map.)
5. I have tried once to leave a 'trail of breadcrumbs' on a back-country ride but I somehow did not have the settings right ( it did not work like the Garmin way) and lost everything. I'd like to explore that feature more - IF it does not take too much memory.

On day trips:
1. Listen to music.
2. Just to have to show off ( e.g. that I can find nearest gas station buy name.)

How's that for starters? One more thing: how about the undocumented feature I mentioned in this EARLY TO BE THERE thread ?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would love to know the basics. The hardest thing for me having never used one and trying to choose one to buy is knowing what I might find usefull. Instead I am relying on features like waterproof, left hand controls, etc.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
On the 2720, I use the find feature the most, find a restaurant, find service, find addresses....

2nd would be download routes from the PC, poker run routes, rides for trips etc...

I like the data fields showing if I'm on a planed route, but if I just out exploring, I turn them off for a larger map view.

I have a 07 with the Nav system, but haven't had the chance to really plan any routes, or use it extensively..I do like the large screen, I can see it with out my glasses....for now :D

I'm sure I'll use the same features with the built in unit as the 2720, other than downloading from PC. That, I wish Garmin would fix.... :x

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hey Jon... Great Idea...

Although its not the function I use the most, the function I've found most valuable is the ability to find a POI (usually a gas station) when I really need it.

I can't count the number of times I've been on fumes (or close to it) and needed gas. But I was in an unfamiliar area. Should I get off on the next ramp or continue on to the one a mile further down the road. I'm at a backroad intersection, should I turn right, left, or go straight. In this regard, the iWay as been a life-saver. I especially like the "Find Along Route" search feature.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good ideas - thanks...

I'll probably script up a few scenarios and then show how they would be accomplished with each unit. Here's what I'm thinking of:
  • Find the location of WingDing in Billings (preferrably by name, then by address). Once found (and saved as a destination), search for the following:[list:fhjbagox]Hotels nearby
    Food nearby (specifically, a Steak House)
    Attractions nearby (things to do when not riding/shopping for Wing stuff - these functions will help probe the depth of the POI databases, an important feature in my book)
Create a route from my house to my chosen hotel, using backroads (from the unit first, eventually I'll do it from the PC as well and document that) with a few scenic stops added along the way.
Simulate running the route and search for fuel/food while along the way.
Find a Wing-related business, by name.
Find a destination by address.
Manipulate Routes, tracks and address book entries.
Play music (if available)
Show pictures (if available)
Change common system settings (screen layout, data tabs, etc.)[/list:u:fhjbagox]I get asked a lot for the differences between the units, how hard is it to do 'xxx' on this unit vs. another unit, etc. I'm hoping to cover the more-commonly-used features so that I don't have to keep repeating the info over and over again. I was thinking of doing a table-based comparison on a web page, but the videos will show the real-world process. (I think there's some value in that, even though it's a lot of work)

·
Registered
319 Posts
From my four years of use of a StreetPilot III, I've found that I most often return to these basic and common activities with it (and do the same with my just-acquired Nuvi 660 and probably will with my imminently-arriving Zumo):

In no particular order:

• - Go "Home"
    - Find addresses/POI's on the fly
    - Find addresses/POIs off the bike (at home, restaurant or hotel, etc.)*
    - View Speed
    - Manually Cause Verbal or Visual Reiteration of Next Turn Instruction
*wouldn't apply to Iway or Garmins indicated since they offer no option to run on batteries)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Jon said:
. . . . Create a route from my house to my chosen hotel, using backroads . . .
Well, ahhh, sure! Good idea!

It's none of OUR business why you need to sneak off to 'your hotel' but, well, it's, ahh, it's all part of your '2.5 route research' right?!?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If I can help, Jon, let me know.

David

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mbresso said:
... *wouldn't apply to Iway or Garmins indicated since they offer no option to run on batteries)
The important thing is the process/steps to do those functions - whether battery or wired, the functions will be the same, which is what I was hoping to document.

For example, all units may be able to do the same basic functions, but it may take a key press and 5 screen taps to do on one unit or the other, or it may take x seconds to retrieve this data (recalculate a route, etc.) that will be useful for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Jon said:
The important thing is the process/steps to do those functions - whether battery or wired, the functions will be the same, which is what I was hoping to document.

For example, all units may be able to do the same basic functions, but it may take a key press and 5 screen taps to do on one unit or the other, or it may take x seconds to retrieve this data (recalculate a route, etc.) that will be useful for comparison purposes.
That would be very helpful. Basically a hands-on real-time functions comparison instead of the usual numbers and figures. That will certainly lay bare those intangibles people would like to know but otherwise don't find out until they actually own a unit. Bravo and thanks for your efforts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts